• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ok, Who Enjoys a Good Cigar?

Chicken Manny

22/3/06
I used to smoke more cigars. Now it is down to one or two a month. With that said, that humidor photo makes me want to fire one up right now. My small but distinguished humidor has a good selection of cubano and dominican (my favorites are usually dominican). The last box I purchased was Partagas Limited Reserve Decadas #2's. It will take me a couple years to work through them.

Cheers,
CM

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
I'll probably have a basic Fuente later on. I took a chance and ordered some Gisperts, apparently an old Cuban name revived in ( I think) Nicaragua. So far, they're pretty good and rather economical but today it's going to be a Fuente.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Cucumber_Jones said:
strapcont4gy.jpg
Nice pic, that's usually the cigar I've been known to buy. I've probably said this before. :D

pammo13

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/4/06
can you find them

When you can find them a great bang for your buck is Private Stock cigars .

The cigars are manufactured in the Davidoff factory.

But the Davidoff RR is better then SEX

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
Re: can you find them

pammo13 said:
When you can find them a great bang for your buck is Private Stock cigars .

The cigars are manufactured in the Davidoff factory.

But the Davidoff RR is better then SEX

I've been buying those whenever I see them but lately, they haven't been really terrific, even after aging :( Hope I get some that are wonderful eventually.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
Happy T said:
Mr CEO, I agree with a lot of what you just said. Most people, especially new cigar smokers, don't have the pallete to distinguish the "taste" or to recognize the complexity of tobacco. I try to explain it to people by comparing it to wine but some people will never be able to tell the difference between a $3 bottle and a $$$ bottle. Same with cigars. The biggest thing is that you have to like the taste of tobacco to begin with and I'm not talking about Cigarettes which are mostly made from less than top of the line tobacco and other additives. And don't get me started on flavor cigars. :roll: :lol:

I would like to add one more thing, the enjoyment I get while smoking a good cigar, regardless of price, is the moment. Its kinda hard to explain.... I may be sitting on the back porch by myself reading the newspaper or having an adult beverage or two with good company..... the moment is that time during the smoke when it seems like all trouble is off your shoulders and there couldn't be a more relaxed state of being. Of course it could just be the scotch. LOL

I have a few Opus that some of you may have never seen before. A Sammy Sosa Opus that is in the shape of a baseball bat. I'd like to think that most in my collection will one day be smoked but I'm not sure about that one.
yes i agree totally, mostly it is about the moment. i understand exactly what you are saying.

10acErnie

Known Member
6/4/06
You guys make me want to try one!
What would be a good cigar for me to try for, let's say, under $5?

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
The first brand that immediately pops into my mind is Padron ( not the Annieversary model though). Often a good smoke shop will have them at that price. The nice thing about cigars is that how good they are is not always absolutely dependent on price.

bignasty

16/3/06
10acErnie said:

If I smoke a cigar its usually a Macanudo. They can be had for $8-$12 in the States

Great for a game of Golf or after a game of golf on a nice summer evening.

Jon

Tasted a cuban before, but its hard to comeby here in the States.

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
bignasty said:
10acErnie said:

Tasted a cuban before, but its hard to comeby here in the States.

There are many sources for Cuban cigars and like our Rep watches you can have them delivered right to your door if you have the right contacts. There is always risk of confiscation but without giving too much away they're ways to get around that. Another problem with Americans buying cuban cigars is that most people who think they're buying a cuban cigar wouldn't know a cuban cigar from a white owl. It is said that 95% of cigars sold as "Cuban" in the States are fake.

For a first cigar I would recommend you talk to the tobaccoist at your local shop. There are several decent <$5 cigars on the market and most shops have very knowlegable people that can help you pick something out. Make sure you tell them its your first cigar so they that they can guide you toward the milder cigars. Its recommended to make sure you have eaten before smoking. Smoking your first cigar on an empty belly is a no no.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
hook us up with a good contact for cubans here in us. i'm readyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
DID SOMEONE SAY CIGAR?

Here are a few of my fav's & like watches you have to try a different one on every now and again
cig111.jpg

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
Never taste it before ..would love to try it ...but around me not 1 single person smoke cigar..but I do like them ..because all the italians ..cuban ...and Tony sopranos smoke them...life is good with cigar eh ...

Is it true a cigar can course youo throat or mouth cancer?? (maybe a dumb question ..but ..health is more important ..:) )

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
Yes but so can the Sun, processed food, the air, and any other number of things. Not trying to suggest there is not a danger just that one must weigh the risk. I know more people killed in auto accidents than cigar smoking but will continue to drive my cars. ;)

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
moggio said:
Is it true a cigar can course youo throat or mouth cancer?? (maybe a dumb question ..but ..health is more important ..:) )

From one of my favorite movies The Unforgiven - "We all gotta die sometime kid"

On a more serious note - It all depends on a few things, how often you smoke and if you inhale. (Yeah I know you are not supposed to inhale a cigar, but I know alot of people who do)

I surf, race mountain bikes and race motocross and believe me, my health is important to me. I can assure you, however, smoking a few cigars a month without inhaling will have little, if no affect on your health, other than improve it I might add. Improve it? Yeah thats right - IMPROVE IT!

This is my take - Your mental health is every bit as important to your overall health, if not in some ways more important than your physical health. It is a known fact that happiness has a direct positive effect on your physical health. You can be in the greatest physical health and have it all erroded away if your life is littered with stress and you are not happy.

With that in mind, I have found that taking the time out of your busy schedule and smoking a good cigar forces you to slow down. In this day and age, it is a rare moment when anyone just plain sits still to think a little - no TV, no book. no phone, no web to cruise. Nothing but you and your thoughts. When was the last time you did this?

It is amazing the amount clarity and perspective on life one recieves when you just sit still for 45 minutes or so - (about the time it takes to go through a good robusto) Add a nice glass of red wine and the company of a good friend and presto, you are well on your way to being the happiest and healthiest you can be.

Like anything, over do it and it will be bad for you. I live by the beach in South Orange County and work in Los Angeles. I firmly believe when I am in Los Angeles working and breathing the crappy air there, I am probably doing more physical damage to my lungs than the few cigars I smoke every month. Apply a little common sense, don't over do it and I think you will find smoking a cigar every once in a while can be a lot of fun and healthy too!

Enough of my rant - time to shut this computer off and pick through the humidor -
Good luck,
Kevin

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
moggio said:
If you are predisposed to cancer of the mouth, then a cigar can increase the risk. It's a risk I've taken in my time, and I'm not going to defend it apart from it is my risk to take. :D

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
Pugwash said:
If you are predisposed to cancer of the mouth, then a cigar can increase the risk. It's a risk I've taken in my time, and I'm not going to defend it apart from it is my risk to take. :D

Agreed!

For me, as in most endeavors, it is all about risk VS reward. Just walking out the door and breathing air everyday has risk.

Pug, you are right in inferring the risk is something each individual has to access for themselves.

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
I have found that taking the time out of your busy schedule and smoking a good cigar forces you to slow down. In this day and age, it is a rare moment when anyone just plain sits still to think a little - no TV, no book. no phone, no web to cruise. Nothing but you and your thoughts. When was the last time you did this?

It is amazing the amount clarity and perspective on life one recieves when you just sit still for 45 minutes or so - (about the time it takes to go through a good robusto) Add a nice glass of red wine and the company of a good friend and presto, you are well on your way to being the happiest and healthiest you can be.

Like anything, over do it and it will be bad for you.........

Jake - very well said..... I choose to enjoy the pleasures I get from smoking a fine cigar.