• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Of Yacht-Masters and dials

iwcforme

Known Member
5/6/08
I was ay my local AD today asking about a repair for a vintage Gen and I took some time to look over their stock...tried on a few for show but really took a good look at the full size rolesium YachMaster ($9,150). My $110 rep is a darn good one especially for the money. I thought my crown and guards were wrong but they were surprisingly close.

I'd say the biggest difference was the bracelet (to be expected) and of course the color of the dial. I was looking at the all Platinum Dial which is really clean and "bright".
My dial is a rep of the older or is it just different (?) dial which seems to be the more common rolesium grey flake "sparkly" dial. Thinking about replacing it with a better dial. Anyone have a recommendation as to who is currently making / selling a really good dial and an idea of the cost?

2poor4real1z

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/7/08
What did you think of the crown on your rep compared to the gen? I got the noobYM and it is really close to the gen IMO. But I thought my crown was a dead give away until I tried on a gen, it's not all that bad. But then a few days later I started questioning it again. Whats your opinion?

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
here you go man. if you want a very good look at the cg's and the rest of a platinum ym just look at this link. these are the best shots of a plat ym i have ever seen. book mark the page for reference, thats what i did and have looked at it many times.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/16622.htm

hope this helps,

hk

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
Looks like there is a gen YM dial for sale on the bay right now. A bit pricey but if you want the perfect dial.

davebs

Known Member
2/8/07
I checked out a real YM when I was in Mexico and it kinda ruined the reps for me. I've had both an MBW YM and a BK YM and both of them were very good but never quite right. Maybe it's just me (I didn't have either of my reps to compare to the genuine article when I tried it on) but it seems like the dial is really hard to reproduce. Also, I swear there's a difference between platinum and stainless steel, but again maybe it was just the white gloves of the AD that made it look cooler than it was. Oh well, I try not to let the little things get me, but they do. There's always that last little thing, damn you OCD...

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
my wife has a new gen and i have a nice tw best, you just can't paint the dial and make it look like media blasted platinum. you can make it look good but it's not the same.

dsgb30043

Horology Curious
15/6/08
My dad just got the gen YM rolesium, and the dial color on my YM (from ajoe) is WAY off. Mine is far too yellow. I have polished and lubed my braclet and the weight/feel is damn near the same. I just need to get a new dial.

Another thing is the bezel, his is VERY tight and almost hard to turn, where as mine moves quite freely.

wilshire888

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/7/08
dsgb30043 said:
My dad just got the gen YM rolesium, and the dial color on my YM (from ajoe) is WAY off. Mine is far too yellow. I have polished and lubed my braclet and the weight/feel is damn near the same. I just need to get a new dial.

Another thing is the bezel, his is VERY tight and almost hard to turn, where as mine moves quite freely.

Get the updated dial from Angus for $25 + $15 shipping. I saw another forum member did the same and put the two dials side by side and the updated dial was very silver & sparkly. I just ordered one. Should be here in a few days.

brobert

25/4/08
Here is a straight shot of my gen plat YM for reference and a noob YM below it.

GEN:

062copy.jpg

REP: Noob YM

ym3.jpg

wilshire888

22/7/08
brobert said:
Here is a straight shot of my gen plat YM for reference and a noob YM below it.

Wow, look at the dials. Is it the picture quality; or is there such a big noticeable difference between the two dials?

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
part of that is the lighting on the picture, here is a shot of my wifes new platinum ym.

but here is another one with the same camera and same exact settings with different light and as you can see it looks much less silver and more beige. these watches do this in real life, when the light is good they look a very clean silver but in less light they can look a sandy beige.

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
Nice examples for sure - Do you folks think The Angus dial is the way to go?

Matt