• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Not sure if I should get the UPO 42mm or UPO 45?

tracyl

22/4/11
I have a 7" wrist and have tried both. Here is my experience...I ended up selling the 45mm because on the metal bracelet it kept hitting my wrist bone. Was just very uncomfortable. But on the rubber strap, it felt fine and looked fine too. I have a 42mm on bracelet that I just love! It is the perfect size, but I'm also going to buy another 45mm to put on rubber. I'm thinking to put it on a isoframe rubber strap and waterproof it so I can use it at the beach or for swimming. Just my experience, hope it helps.
T.

Repo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/2/12
I have a 7 inch wrist also. Sold the 45,5 from Reg because it was a bit too big for my taste. Looking to buy a 42 mm because I miss it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
I'm with R2.

I have a 42mm on my wrist - it's the most proportional on a 6.75" wrist. The only way to wear a 45mm on a wrist smaller than 7" is on rubber IMO. The case and end links just don't look right...the end links and bracelet should roll around your wrist...on a 45mm steel bracelet the watch squares off. It's all preference I guess.

cfdb4594-484f-d15d.jpg

cfdb4594-4888-6af2.jpg

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Even the 42 is a pretty big watch. I've had several of both and agree with a lot of others that the 42 is a lot more comfortable. It's still a pretty big chunk of metal with that heavy bracelet. The 45 is also a little more ostentatious looking in my opinion. I don't like watches that scream "LOOK AT ME!".

thran

9/7/12
on my wrist (6.75"), the 42mm is perfect, I believe thou if I had a 7" I would step it up to a 45mm

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
I am thin and the 42.5mm fits on me fine so I got it because there was a big craze for them years ago. Later on I acquired a 5th generation of the same exact watch too and still have them both. I went to the AD while waiting for my 5th generation and they only had the 45mm in stock. Knowing it was too large I decided to try it on. It fits fine too. But still, the 42.5mm is a much much nicer looking watch than the 45 so I'm sticking with the 42.5mm watch. The coin edge bezel is the thing that I like as well as other minor aesthetics such as the "picture frame" date window which may actually even be on the 45mm watch I'm not sure.

At the AD in SF, the big one sticks out most and looks really cool though. Still, it is a quite large watch and I prefer the 42.5mm as it is a little bit more subtle (but not much, women say watches that size are enormous as well)

Digitaldorifto

Known Member
18/2/12
I figured I'd post pictures of my 42mm 5GPO and 45.5mm UPO for comparison. I picked up the 45mm a while back and always thought the 42mm may have been a better choice. Even after having both sizes now, it's hard to definitively say which one I like better. I have an 8 inch wrist so most would think the 45.5mm would be the obvious choice but I'm still undecided the UPO looks awesome but feels very heavy and the 42mm feels more normal but. Has much less wrist presence. Anyways here's the pics 45.5mm is the one with the orange numbers
dfbd4134.jpg

59e59e9f.jpg

7b6d38de.jpg

81621b0e.jpg

jbsails

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/11
Peteyshin...I too am a bit of a noob. I purchased a Rolex DSSD a year and a half ago...it is a big watch and I have been wearing it daily. I sort of fell off the forums for a year and have been really satisfied with the watch...and it is a large size. I lost a jewel for the bezel and started back on the forums to do research...

Well..that was the start of my lust for the Super Planet Ocean. I quickly bought a 42mm from Stan. Had it in three days. Awesome looking watch! Loved it...then I bought a "catch and release" 45.5 from a RWI seller. Got it in several days as well and Wow...I just loved the size! Then Stan contacted me about the new Reps of the 45.5mm Planet Ocean Chrono...I pulled the trigger and bought it!

Now having the two PO's in 45mm, I realize that the 42mm is simply too small. Just my $0.02, but the 45.5mm size is an amazing, and impressive look on a wrist.

Good luck...

Best,
JB

View attachment 5993

InDenial

Known Member
17/6/12
I have a 7.5 in. wrist so the obvious choice for me was the 45.5mm. But I think unless you have a really, really small boney wrist, it would be safe to go with the larger size. Big watches are where it's at right now so I don't think it would look out of place at all. In the end, though, it's just personal preference.

peteyshin

Horology Curious
27/1/12
thanks for the advice yall, great pics too!. definitely jealous of your collection...hope to build mine up someday. Just ordered the 42mm! and I also got a tag aquaracer too LOL. will provide pics as soon as I receive them

Gerry Jarcia

26/4/12
Congrats on your purchase! Careful though, this whole "hobby" thing never ends well :biglaugh:

alucard666

I'm Pretty Popular
14/1/10
I have a 6.5 and my daily wear is a super avenger or a pam187.
The upo wears smaller than some 44 mm pams in my opinion. It's all about personal preference. Big is in these days tho :)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Wilazn

Renowned Member
21/12/11
45.5 UPO fits my 7.25" wrist perfectly. I believe that and the 44mm PAMs are the best fit and look the best on me. A pretty big guy with an athletic/bodybuilding type of body. Anything under 44mm looks small on me. That's why I'm not really a Rolex guy.

alucard666

I'm Pretty Popular
14/1/10
45.5 UPO fits my 7.25" wrist perfectly. I believe that and the 44mm PAMs are the best fit and look the best on me. A pretty big guy with an athletic/bodybuilding type of body. Anything under 44mm looks small on me. That's why I'm not really a Rolex guy.

Have you tried the dssd? It's the only rolex I have tried and it's great if you want the Rolex look with a big watch. The only other alternative i have found is the invicta grand diver.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2