• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Not such an easy (but still easy) way to drill non pre-drilled lugs when you’re a city dweller

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Edit : 07/11/2022
OMG ... almost 5 years and a half since I posted that tutorial :eek:
today I tried to share the link and saw that all pics had disappeared so I've just re-uploaded
those pics remind me of my "previous life" ... those days I worked on the kitchen table in my ex-flat where I lived in with my ex-wife
TBH ... no regrets from that time except the 5 extra years in my flesh and bones ...
and hey, this weekend I ran a 16 km night trail with my beautifull new wife so all is well :love:

Here's another tuto from the "City Dweller Series" :hehehe:

Some have already read my «Easiest way to drill vintage case lugs for 2mm bars when you’re a city dweller» but today we will go further.

I know many seasoned members have already made tutos about drilling with a real drill-press ... , , etc ... sorry but I cant quote you all :(
But I have never seen a tuto showing how to drill lugs if you live in a city flat and have a dremel but no place for a drill-press (unless you show your girl/boy friend how to open the main door and leave) so I hope this one could be usefull.

So ... let's go to the facts.

A few days ago I had to drill the lugs of a 16610 case with non pre-drilled lugs (and a sh...y paperclip bezel construction) so I have made some pics all along the process.
I have NO drill-press (I know I could show my better half how to open the main door and leave but ... I'm not ready to do that).

So what did I use and how did I do ?

My tools :
- a punch
- my 40$ dremel-like
- a 50$ little drill stand (got it on sale on Amazon)
- an 43 mm adapter (10$ on ebay)
- a cheap (but good) vise
- 1mm + 1.3mm HSS drill bits
- cutting oil
- "The Foundation" (Zac Brwon Band)

I choosed a 5027000 Wolcraft drill-stand because it had a toothed rack and a return spring, it could be put in parts and in a card box (altogether with vise, drill bits and cutting oil) in less than 5 minutes.
That cardbox goes to the cellar when I dont need those tools while my dremel-like stays in a drawer with all the watch parts and ongoing projects.

And if you ever wonder why I use 1mm drill bits AND 1.3mm drill bits :
- it's easier (IMHO) to center on the hole you punched if you drill 1mm first then 1.3mm
- where I leave (Europe) I can buy 10x1mm HSS drill bits for about 5$ and 1.3mm HSS drill bits I bought on cousins.uk are 5$ each so I really take care of them

An now the process (took me about 1 hour).

1 - Open the cardbox and build the drill stand
You'd better protect your (kitchen) table because you will use a bunch of cutting oil

z40nXF.jpg

z404WP.jpg

2 - Put the 43mm adapter and prepare you drill bits
Of course you screw you dremel on the adapter and put a 1mm HSS drill bit ... I forgot to take a specific pic

z40sfS.jpg

z40v2Q.jpg

3 - Punch the watch lugs
Note that I had already marked the lugs with an extra-fine permanent pen
You'd better punch large enough so that the 1mm drill bit can easily find its place in the hole

z4076L.jpg

4 - Place you watch case in the vice
I put some painter tape on the vice to protect the case
It's better to place some metal pieces under the lugs so that the case dont go down when you push a little with the drill bit

z40EuR.jpg

5 - Place the vice on the drill stand and center the drill bit precisely on the punched hole

z40fOK.jpg

6 - Put some oil on the punched hole and drill
Don't be stingy with the oil ... there is never too much of it
About the speed I used I cannot be precise because my dremel-like has a variator marked from 0 to 5.
I worked bteween 1 and 3 so the speed was probably between 7000rpm and 18000rpm.
From my very short experience in drilling and depending on the drill bits, I would say that the speed is good when the "steel-dust" comes out easily with some oil while you drill.
And do not forget to clean the lug and put some new oil every times it looks like the last PIC here ... about 3 times on every lug.

z4b3JF.jpg

z4bhp2.jpg

z4b2FE.jpg

7 - Now you have drilled all 4 lugs with a 1mm bit, so place the 1.3mm bit on the dremel-like and drill again
That part is very easy as you process the same as with the 1mm drill bit.
But do not forget about beeing "oily"

z4bLAn.jpg

8 - Now you have an early-oily 16610 case so just wash it and clean it and it will be just "early"
You still have to thin the lugs a little, cut nice chamfers, polish the sides and crownguards and do a nice Rolex brush on the upside of the case, but all this is itty-bitty cause you have done the tough part.

z4be83.jpg

Hope this helps.
And please leave your comments, questions and advices.

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks @eswilly

@yllekp !!! or any mod
Could you please edit the title and change it to :
Not such an easy (but still easy) way to drill non pre-drilled lugs when you’re a city dweller

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Very nicely done @manodeoro . I don't usually drill lugs on cases without smaller existing holes. Too easy to screw it up. Impressive on your part.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Very nicely done @manodeoro . I don't usually drill lugs on cases without smaller existing holes. Too easy to screw it up. Impressive on your part.

@NCRich you drill lugs perfectly, even without existing holes ... I have seen some pics on some of your very instructive threads.

This one is only my third ... 1 pre-drilled, 3 non pre-drilled ... so I have very low experience but IMHO

Point 1 : MARK THE LUGS
- If you want to keep the bracelet that came with your case you have to mark the lugs exactly through the existing "half-holes" (how do you call that ???)
- if your watch comes with SELS and you want to use endlinks you have to check the endlinks then mark the lugs ... you will often drill a little lower and a little more close to the midcase thant the existant "half-holes" (dito ???)

Point 2 - PUNCH THE LUGS
When all the 4 lugs are marked just put the midcase on a vise and punch the lugs where the holes should be.
It's much easier to place the drill when the lugs are already punched.

Point 3 - AVOID COFFEE
The lesser your hands shake ... the better it is :hehehe:

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Yeah, a couple of shots of tequila helps steady the hands. :lol:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Excellent tutorial !

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thank you @tripdog
I just try to do my best to help this community, although I'm still a newbie about watches.

Sent from the RWI App

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
@NCRich
Next time I could write a tuto on how to cook a Tahitian cake.
It's a chocolate cake topped with a "glaçage royal" perfumed with coconut and lime.
Fits perfectly with Tequila [emoji39]

Sent from the RWI App

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
@NCRich
Next time I could write a tuto on how to cook a Tahitian cake.
It's a chocolate cake topped with a "glaçage royal" perfumed with coconut and lime.
Fits perfectly with Tequila [emoji39]

Sent from the RWI App

You got it buddy. I need to do a gmt keyless reset tutorial for several people. Maybe a cake will make it seem easier. :lol:

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Oh and BTW, you ain't no noob no more my friend.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Thanks @eswilly

@yllekp !!! or any mod
Could you please edit the title and change it to :
Super stuff my friend. I changed the title :)

Alhig72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
15/11/16
UK
Good work mate

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
You got it buddy. I need to do a gmt keyless reset tutorial for several people. Maybe a cake will make it seem easier. [emoji38]
OMG ... that's perfect
I'll "build" that cake next WE and put a "tuto" here [emoji3]
Then I'll impatiently wait for you GMT keyless reset tutorial cause ... see what I mean ? [emoji32]

Sent from the RWI App

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
You got it buddy. I need to do a gmt keyless reset tutorial for several people. Maybe a cake will make it seem easier. :lol:

Hi @NCRich
Just forgot about the "cake tuto"
I'll do it soon but here is a teaser
Just need to say that nothing is misspelled ... it's a Christmas cake (Noël in French) but my grandson's name is Léon and that's was his first Christmas cake

BTW ... what about your GMT keyless reset tuto ?

IMG_20151225_152827.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151225_152827.jpg
    IMG_20151225_152827.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
I like the washers to keep it flat and level. [emoji6][emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

manodeoro