• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob question regarding waterproofing

FiliGelli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
11/2/17
EU
People are missing out on the fun of a watch if they limit themselves in normal daily use. The main reason for me to enter the Rep world was that i found out in my Gen hobby that when i go above 3000 euro value i am getting to conscious about the value on my wrist. And this limits what i call my carefree wearability. Loved my Tudor Black Bay Chrono but had to sell it, i always was aware of the position of the arm vs a wall or a door. Now i have that limitless feeling wearing for example the NWBIG 126600 Seadweller.
We have the same taste😉
zVdw3P.jpg

kesj

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/8/19
I have some watch enthusiast friends who only buy gens. And they don’t even take their divers out for a swim. They were also advised by their dealer to do so.

kesj

4/8/19
I meant that they were advised by their dealers to not wear their gen divers while swimming.

RRWatches

Certified
2/9/22
United Kingdom
I also wear mine for everything, don’t care about marks etc. however, I was asking about how he washes it as he said he doesn’t like to get it near water, which I can understand as if water gets inside it’s service time

Eddio

Astrophysical Time traveler
11/6/16
EU
I meant that they were advised by their dealers to not wear their gen divers while swimming.
Aint that crazy. So the dealer selling you a dive watch costing thousands of dollars also mentions to stag away from water....... Well your getting a quality piece there.

On a serious note, that is just bonkers information from these Dealers. Any 100m + watch can be savely swim with IF you regularly test and, if needed, replace gaskets! My Doxa and Aquadive are for example true dive watches and they will see water. My lower priced but amazing Casio MDV106 and Seiko Save the Ocean are also good divers.

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
We have the same taste😉
zVdw3P.jpg
Brother Seadweller!!!! Hell yeah!! Aint it just a spectacular rep or not. I have the ARF v3, you? My other amazing rep is the 116610ln Sub. I bought that one before the Seadweller and it was stunning. But the Seadweller blew my mind. Truly a NWBIG!

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
I have some watch enthusiast friends who only buy gens. And they don’t even take their divers out for a swim. They were also advised by their dealer to do so.
By the way, its not a must to get them wet, most only see desk dives. But before someone mentioned storing his reps with dessicant present and that is just being to scary carefull in my opinion.

Back on Gens, it is the story behind it, that it could tackle the oceans, is what fascinates most besides the looks ofcourse. A diver extension on your watch looks cool and is a nice coffee table story! But any serious diver will tell you that a wetsuit will decompress under water resulting in the possibility of losing your watch if it is not fit properly.

FiliGelli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
11/2/17
EU
Brother Seadweller!!!! Hell yeah!! Aint it just a spectacular rep or not. I have the ARF v3, you? My other amazing rep is the 116610ln Sub. I bought that one before the Seadweller and it was stunning. But the Seadweller blew my mind. Truly a NWBIG!
Mate it's one of the best rep ever owned.
It's a spectacular mix between the 126610 and Deepsea but it's wearable also for people with normal wrist.
I have a vsf as base with the whole movement block arf v4(dial, hands, movement) and gen crystal+gasket.
I also managed to improve the bezel click sound that it's now gen like.
It's one of my favourite and, in order to keep the topic's way, i use it everywhere!
It loves the water

Reactions: Eddio and P..DR..D

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
Mate it's one of the best rep ever owned.
It's a spectacular mix between the 126610 and Deepsea but it's wearable also for people with normal wrist.
I have a vsf as base with the whole movement block arf v4(dial, hands, movement) and gen crystal+gasket.
I also managed to improve the bezel click sound that it's now gen like.
It's one of my favourite and, in order to keep the topic's way, i use it everywhere!
It loves the water
Where are you based? I have no issues with the bezel click, but also do not know how a gen should sound. But replacing the crystal would perhaps be something i would love to change in the future, perhaps more. This is a killer rep and one i will never sell only improve.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Rep or gen, It is a VERY big deal to me that my watch is able to be submerged in water 💧 (talking about dive watches)

Hey, why bother having a dive watch if you can't use their ability or else get the full enjoyment out of them especially in the water!

Here's just a couple that I've taken in the ocean, pools, spa, with zero problems.

zcDBCL.jpg

zcDtiQ.jpg

zcD8VS.jpg

zcDQGR.jpg

As well as my ST franken 😎

zcDkw4.jpg

zcDP7v.jpg

zcDX31.jpg

zcDdyj.jpg

And now currently using my Ginault OR2 as such 😎

zcD7Lb.jpg

zcDErp.jpg

zcDNE5.jpg

Get your reps water tested and enjoy the hek out of them! I believe that's the whole point of reps, I personally wouldn't take my Gen 10k + submariner but why not a gen Tag worth 1,400 😉

Reactions: Eddio

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
Rep or gen, It is a VERY big deal to me that my watch is able to be submerged in water 💧 (talking about dive watches)

Hey, why bother having a dive watch if you can't use their ability or else get the full enjoyment out of them especially in the water!

Here's just a couple that I've taken in the ocean, pools, spa, with zero problems.

zcDBCL.jpg

zcDtiQ.jpg

zcD8VS.jpg

zcDQGR.jpg

As well as my ST franken 😎

zcDkw4.jpg

zcDP7v.jpg

zcDX31.jpg

zcDdyj.jpg

And now currently using my Ginault OR2 as such 😎

zcD7Lb.jpg

zcDErp.jpg

zcDNE5.jpg

Get your reps water tested and enjoy the hek out of them! I believe that's the whole point of reps, I personally wouldn't take my Gen 10k + submariner but why not a gen Tag worth 1,400 😉
Totally agree. Nice set by the way!

kesj

4/8/19
Aint that crazy. So the dealer selling you a dive watch costing thousands of dollars also mentions to stag away from water....... Well your getting a quality piece there.

On a serious note, that is just bonkers information from these Dealers. Any 100m + watch can be savely swim with IF you regularly test and, if needed, replace gaskets! My Doxa and Aquadive are for example true dive watches and they will see water. My lower priced but amazing Casio MDV106 and Seiko Save the Ocean are also good divers.
Totally agree. But it makes me think twice when I hit the shower or the pool. Luckily I am not a diver type of guy myself 😬

Reactions: Eddio

EM9

Watch Acquisition Disorder
Supporter
Certified
7/8/18
28.3772° N, 81.5707° W
We make dive computers now. Shearwater, I'll never use anything else unless they go out of biz. For everything else 10ATM. If I can't get one to pass I don't keep it. Some crystals needed reseated or on the occasion a trash gasket replaced but I've had very good luck with modern reps. IDGAF if it's a rep or gen, A Timex or a Patek, whatever doesn't matter. Sometimes I'm an idiot and I can't be trusted not to do something stupid wearing my watch.. and sometimes even when I'm not wearing it. I've knocked a bezel off a 16610 after a night at the bar. I've most certainly spilled beer on them at concerts and other events etc. IMO you can get most watches to test 10ATM. It just depends on the effort you want to put into it. But as everyone else said, machine tolerance dictate WR or lack there of. Were talking things like thread form degree and pitch here.

Flowjoe100

22/6/19
London
My ARF 116610 is supposedly waterproofed to 30m. I've never tested it out despite being fairly confident it could survive a swimming pool. Seems pretty good quality fit and finish wise...