• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Newbie question - Hands are off

OrientVisiter

Horology Curious
4/11/08
I just got a Panerai Lumina over here in China at a copy market and I didn't notice until to late that the hour hand was off by exactly 1/2 hour. I didn't feel like wearing it but yesterday I decided to wear it just to see if it would keep time. Now after 24hrs it appears to be ok? Is this just because it needed to be wound up? Sorry I'm new at this but I love the looks of this watch and have gotten compliments already. I've tried shaking it slightly to see if the hour hand is loose but it doesn't appear to be. This my second automatic, my other is a ROLEX SUB which I haven't had any problems with.

boo

Known Member
3/5/08
What do you mean exactly by the hour hand being "off" by a half hour? Are you saying that that the watch will gain/lose 30 minutes of time in a day?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Sounds like he is saying that when the time is let's say midnight, the hour hand will be at either 11:30 or 12:30

boo

Known Member
3/5/08
ok, I get it now. hmm...seems strange that it would be something that would fix itself.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
It wouldn't. That is what seems strange. You have to reset the hands to fix it.

alexrange

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/11/08
I had the same problem with a gen Sub Chrono Diamond P. and it dindt fix itself, i had to take it back cause they had to reset the hand like fakemaster said.

OrientVisiter

Horology Curious
4/11/08
Yes, When the minute hand was on 12 the hour hand would be 1/2 way between two hours. I'm an engineer and while I've never taken a watch apart I'm pretty sure the two hands are joined in a fixed relationship to each other via gears. It's now been about 48 hrs and I must say it hasn't totally fixed itself (least not yet). The hour hand is lagging the minute hand by about 5 minutes. It was exactly (by sight) 1/2 hour off 48 hrs ago. Stange thing is I set it to a quartz watch and it is keeping perfect time so far. I don't get it! But it still looks great.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
They sit on individual point of the post. Sad to say that what appears to be fixing itself is really not. What is happening is the hour hand is slipping which is bringing it back into alignemt. Unfortunately this will continue and will eventually go the other way.

OrientVisiter

Horology Curious
4/11/08
Damn, I guess you get what you pay for. I travel in China about 1 month a year ussually with a couple of nights in Shanghi each visit. I have picked up reps that I liked the appearance of without really knowing their back ground. I have a Rolex Sub with the green bezel which I like alot and it keeps good time. I also picked up a Seamaster with the orange bezel. It has the orange strap which I am planning to replace. I also picked up a couple of Breitlings. The most I paid for any of these is $30. I know they must sound like junk but they really compare pretty nicely to some of the photos I've seen in this forum. Probably my untrained eye. Anyway this is a facinating hobby and I look forward to learning a lot more. I would like to be able to ID a good rep before I hit the Shanghi market in about 10 days. I'm making up my wish list right now. I need to learn how to ID a good mechanism first. Thanks for the help.

OrientVisiter

Horology Curious
4/11/08
You're right the hour hand keeps slipping. I assume there is nothing I can do about this. I will be going back where the orig dealer has a booth, so I might propose a trade.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
No it's actually an easy fix. The hands just need to be reset so they are seated properly. The guy who sold it to you might be able to take care of it. A local watch kiosk certainly could.

OrientVisiter

Horology Curious
4/11/08
thanks Fakemaster. I will post a photo when i can get ahold of a camera. Does anyone know where the main dealers are in China, as in what cities? I'm on the coast in Qingdao about half way between Shanghi and Beijing. I'll be here another 2 weeks or so.

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
Fakey, I know it's scary to think that I might be learning something useful watch-related, but the Cartier Tank I got from Silix has the same problem (in addition to not actually running most of the time). Silix advised me to change the battery and have the hands adjusted by a watchsmith, but I live in a small town where I wouldn't know where to find a watchsmith. Is this something that I can do myself?

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Guangzhou and Shanghai are the two places that are responsible for the rep business in China..

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
ahw676 said:
Fakey, I know it's scary to think that I might be learning something useful watch-related, but the Cartier Tank I got from Silix has the same problem (in addition to not actually running most of the time). Silix advised me to change the battery and have the hands adjusted by a watchsmith, but I live in a small town where I wouldn't know where to find a watchsmith. Is this something that I can do myself?

@AHW, its actually scary to pop open a watch for a first time and find that you do not know what to do with it....

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
yes you can but you have to have the right tools such as a hand puller and setter. But I would do it on a watch you don't care about.

dellhd101

7/3/09
OrientVisiter said:
Damn, I guess you get what you pay for. I travel in China about 1 month a year ussually with a couple of nights in Shanghi each visit. I have picked up reps that I liked the appearance of without really knowing their back ground. I have a Rolex Sub with the green bezel which I like alot and it keeps good time. I also picked up a Seamaster with the orange bezel. It has the orange strap which I am planning to replace. I also picked up a couple of Breitlings. The most I paid for any of these is $30. I know they must sound like junk but they really compare pretty nicely to some of the photos I've seen in this forum. Probably my untrained eye. Anyway this is a facinating hobby and I look forward to learning a lot more. I would like to be able to ID a good rep before I hit the Shanghi market in about 10 days. I'm making up my wish list right now. I need to learn how to ID a good mechanism first. Thanks for the help.

Highest only $30? I would be doing the same thing if I were you...and I would probably try to bring back a suitcase full at that price!

Good luck on your watch!