• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New watch constantly needs to be rewound, why?

cji4130

Horology Curious
13/4/09
NYC
My new datejust vs3235 needs to be rewound after sitting for only 2 days..is this normal? What’s the proper way to wind this movement?

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
My new datejust vs3235 needs to be rewound after sitting for only 2 days..is this normal? What’s the proper way to wind this movement?
2 days power reserve suggests it may be a VR movement. You’ll need to re verify what you purchased with the seller.

cji4130

Horology Curious
13/4/09
NYC
Thank you for your quick response. I may be mistaken about it being a vs. in either case, this is normal?

cji4130

Horology Curious
13/4/09
NYC
Also, I vaguely remember reading something about setting the date and time with the watch at certain times can damage the movement. Any idea what I’m talking about or am I crazy? 🤣

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
Do you wind the watch or just wear it and let it self wind with movement?

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Thank you for your quick response. I may be mistaken about it being a vs. in either case, this is normal?
If it’s a VR movement then Yes its normal. Power reserve is @ 40 hours.
VS movement offers 70 hours or more.

If you can verify yours is a VS movement but it does after only 2 days on a full wind then you’ll need to get it looked at by a way smith as it may have mainspring issues….

Reactions: Route66

cji4130

Horology Curious
13/4/09
NYC
Thank you, yes I can verify it is indeed a vr3235..how many times should I wind it for each use?

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Thank you, yes I can verify it is indeed a vr3235..how many times should I wind it for each use?
As a self winding automatic, you basically just need to set the time and date and then wear it. It will keep winding whilst wearing and keep power reserve all day no problem. When you take it off at night and you know you’ll want to wear it again the next day, give it 10-20 winds and you’ll find it will be ready to go the next morning.

This way you don’t keep overwinding it needlessly.

If you do want a full wind for whatever reason, it’s usually around 60-70 turns.

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
Also if it’s not a daily beater, try a watch winder. I keep mine in them so I don’t have to constantly set the time and date.

Reactions: zykan

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
Don’t set the date when it is close to midnight.

It could possibly mess up the date change thingy

When setting the date keep the hour hand on the bottom half of the dial, away from 12

Reactions: Tucker

zykan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/8/15
Also if it’s not a daily beater, try a watch winder. I keep mine in them so I don’t have to constantly set the time and date.
I've got one of these, whilst good they will on extend the reserve to 4-5 days. It might be more with better movements but ive a the pam571 p9000 clone and that what i get out of mine. It rotates for 25 turns every hour. Depends on how often you plan to wear it, if not that often then just wind and set it when you need it, date/time is easy and quick enough to set as watch winders can contribute to general wear and tear

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
watch winders can contribute to general wear and tear
To be honest, I’ve found the opposite to be true ( in my case only and especially with screw down crown assemblies so it’s not a general truth )

By keeping some of my watches on a winder, they,ll keep powering up via the rotor with no need for manual winding. The day/ date also doesn’t need any manual adjustment via the crown and the Watch lubricants keep circulating. On 3 of my watches that aren’t on a winder, I’ve had issues with the crown and date change mechanism. Each time I’ve had to wear them I’ve had to unscrew the crown and make manual changes and then also do a manual wind to kick start it. As many will attest to, doing this quite regularly on 7750 Rep movements is inviting failure- not to mention the very well known issues with VSF screw down crown watches, especially seamasters.

I guess everyone has different experiences so sharing is caring !!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
When discussing watch winders there's a couple of things to consider. One, some watches are unidirectional winding and some are bi-directional. If you have a uni directional wind like a 7750 and your watch winder is not set accordingly (ie rotating both directions) then it will not keep the watch powered properly. Also most watch winders have settings for different turns per hour. There's extensive lists for different movements as to what the correct minimum would be. You can always set it to do more turns per hour as it will not hurt the watch at all. In my opinion if you have a couple of watches that you wear fairly regularly but not enough to keep them wound on their own then a watch winder is a good way to reduce stress on the screwdown crown and also expedite your ability to change between watches. As far as normal wear and tear on the watch goes in the winder versus sitting, this is up for debate as I've seen it discussed many times. I've seen both flip sides of the arguments and understand both of their concerns. Ultimately I let my watches rest unless they're going to be in the current rotation in which case it's much more convenient for me to have them wound and ready to go. Also if you're constantly unscrewing and screwing in a screwdown crown you risk stripping the crown so there's pluses in minuses to both sides of the argument.

Reactions: Plaasbaas