• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New VRF Pepsi GMT Max

Etretic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/1/17
Australia
Thought I'd share my QC. Already accepted. Speed bumps visible on first picture but seem to disappear on second.

ZYTunE.jpg

ZYTvun.jpg

kevBquick

9/10/18
KJ2020 do you know how to properly swap the rehaut? I have my clark crystal. So after I pull the crown tube out. I can press the crystal back out the movement side if I understand the process and since the movement is out. Not sure how to access the rehaut or how it removes. Is there another method to remove the crystal without removing the movement. I am trying to pull it form the top but its pretty damn snug. maybe some pliers with electrical tape at the ends so we don't mar or scratch. I'm really not sure. I have another sub I'd like to drop a clark crystal on to practice.

Jayalvin777

I'm Pretty Popular
17/9/20
🇦🇹
KJ2020 do you know how to properly swap the rehaut? I have my clark crystal. So after I pull the crown tube out. I can press the crystal back out the movement side if I understand the process and since the movement is out. Not sure how to access the rehaut or how it removes. Is there another method to remove the crystal without removing the movement. I am trying to pull it form the top but its pretty damn snug. maybe some pliers with electrical tape at the ends so we don't mar or scratch. I'm really not sure. I have another sub I'd like to drop a clark crystal on to practice.

The rehaut is part of the case you can't simply just swap it. If you don't like it them you need a new case.

Reactions: David1886

kevBquick

9/10/18
The rehaut is part of the case you can't simply just swap it. If you don't like it them you need a new case.

alright good to know. i guess it is what it is. its small detail. its not great but i have a GMFv1 donor watch sitting there so I thought I might use that rehaut.
I'll probably leave it then.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

1. Remove crown and stem
2. Remove movement
3. Remove bezel, and remove insert from bezel (optional)
4. Use crystal press and die to push crystal out from inside if it doesn't lift up with the bezel
5. Pry up crystal retaining ring with a case knife ‐ tape up the case for protection
6. Seat new crystal and selected gasket
7. Hand fit movement and dial temporarily to evaluate date mag, adjust gasket height as needed - align the stem hole through the tube or put the stem in loosely. Align the crystal with the movement/dial
8. Press retaining ring over the seated crystal and gasket making sure the crystal doesn't rotate
9. Replace bezel
10. Reinstall movement and stem/crown
11. Align the insert triangle with the 60 minute tic mark and press the insert if it was removed.

This can be done without removing the movement by skipping steps 1,2, 4. My preference is to remove the movement to avoid damage and contaminants to dial and hands.

Note that with GMT bezels, there are scalloped arcs in the retaining ring that need to be aligned the same way they were if the insert isn't taken out. You can put little Sharpie arcs on the case in about 3 places next to some scallops.

Excellent pictorial here:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...blro-vvvlllooo

I will add that the bezel gasket (hytrel ring) is an incredibly important part that is essentially irreplaceable unless you can make one (3D printer or fishline). So it needs to be treated with exceptional care. Leave it in the bezel groove if possible, if not be sure to note how it goes back in or you'll have to take the bezel off again to re-seat it.

Last edited:

kevBquick

9/10/18
1. Remove crown and stem
2. Remove movement
3. Remove bezel
4. Use crystal press and die to push crystal out from inside if it doesn't lift up with the bezel
5. Pry up crystal retaining ring with a case knife ‐ tape up the case for protection
6. Seat new crystal and selected gasket
7. Hand fit movement temporarily to evaluate date mag, adjust gasket height as needed
8. Press retaining ring over the seated crystal and gasket
9. Replace bezel
20 Reinstall movement and stem/crown

This can be done without removing the movement by skipping steps 1,2, 4. My preference is to remove the movement to avoid damage and contaminants to dial and hands.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/tutorials/8257256-swap-crystal-on-gmt-master-2-blro-vvvlllooo

I am stuck here. Can’t get crystal out. Any help welcome.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I am stuck here. Can’t get crystal out. Any help welcome.

Do you have a crystal press and die set? If not you should buy one.

Alternately, do step 5. After taping up the case, insert a razor blade at the joint between the case and the scalloped retaining ring. Tap the blade with a jeweler's hammer to force it under and create a gap into which you can fit a case knife. Then pry the retaining ring off. Then the crystal and the gasket will come off.

We are getting off track of the thread topic here.

:derailed:

Reactions: McDuck888

Fervid

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/19
Down under
I might need to take mine into a watchmaker, noticed it's losing 20 seconds a day and it gets stuck trying to reverse the hour hand, never had this problem on my previous VR3185.

kevBquick

9/10/18
Do you have a crystal press and die set? If not you should buy one.

Alternately, do step 5. After taping up the case, insert a razor blade at the joint between the case and the scalloped retaining ring. Tap the blade with a jeweler's hammer to force it under and create a gap into which you can fit a case knife. Then pry the retaining ring off. Then the crystal and the gasket will come off.

We are getting off track of the thread topic here.

:derailed:

yep press....actually i just put a cloth and pushed the crystal out....i didn't feel like the dies were deep enough. either way...thumbs and a push...it was simple. it was the scalloped retaining ring i was confused on but i had the jewelers hammer and worked it in with a pry...it came right off. while it sort of off topic.

the idea was to keep the thread and then how to better the watch as it comes in.

my watch is VR Max pepsi is inbound. clark crystal awaiting it...so some before and after pics of stock and then with clark's AR cyclops. and I wanted even the newbies like myself when it comes to dissecting everyting to be able to see it in the thread. since the watch is really solid minus the crystal. i don't really go this in depth on watch mods. but i think for this watch and the crystal it comes with, its a must.

that being said. other than having some basic jewelers watch tools. hammer, knife or flat wedge, crystal press for the new crystal....not needed to remove the crystal. oh and a set of the watch screwdrivers. the stuff KJ2020 mentions honestly since i have done it a few times...was just a few minutes to have the crown out and movement sitting aside. now that the crystal is out and scallop ring. it will move quickly for people

i'd say the difficulty is about a 2 out of 10. sure there are a few steps. but its honestly not that big of a deal. wear gloves to keep the oil from your fingers off the crystal. this mod will really wake this watch up. hell i can put the gmf v1 crystal with LEC on it and it would be an improvement. but I like the AR more on clarks so we will roll with that.

i will post back with pics of watch before and after. i'll even time myself. maybe $40 bucks for random tools on ebay. 35 bucks for the crystal and you got a solid watch.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
i will post back with pics of watch before and after. i'll even time myself. maybe $40 bucks for random tools on ebay. 35 bucks for the crystal and you got a solid watch.

Good job bro, be sure to check date mag and cyclops alignment before repressing the crystal retaining ring. The fewer times you have to do that, the better. While you are waiting for your watch to arrive, you could be looking for a retaining ring pressing die. Here are a couple things that work

8lrIF.jpg

The die needs to clear the crystal and gasket but catch the top rim of the retaining ring. Something I do before removing the scalloped rings is scribe some marks inside about 3 scallops on the case with a Sharpie so the retaining ring can be put back on in the same orientation. This keeps your insert aligned, assuming you're leaving it installed in the bezel throughout the process.

kevBquick

9/10/18
Good job bro, be sure to check date mag and cyclops alignment before repressing the crystal retaining ring. The fewer times you have to do that, the better. While you are waiting for your watch to arrive, you could be looking for a retaining ring pressing die. Here are a couple things that work

8lrIF.jpg

The die needs to clear the crystal and gasket but catch the top rim of the retaining ring. Something I do before removing the scalloped rings is scribe some marks inside about 3 scallops on the case with a Sharpie so the retaining ring can be put back on in the same orientation. This keeps your insert aligned, assuming you're leaving it installed in the bezel throughout the process.

I believe in my case I get to leave the scallop ring. No need just pop the crystal out. Put new in. It crystal gasket is not holding I will replace. I will use the crown tube inserted to level line the cyclops.

put the movement back in straight. Then lock it up.

kevBquick

9/10/18
e07ccf4a56c538054fde8c5228e54349.jpg

Got my qc photos. This is a RL right?

yeah RL it unless another wind can fix that. mine was +/-2 secs/day.

i think its the amplitude...your at 170.
Amplitude - the amount of rotation in the swing of the balance wheel
  • great : 270-310
  • acceptable : 250-270

Reactions: RedBearrd

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
I know RL means reject, but what does the L stand for?