• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Roger Dubuis Excalibur RDDBEX0817 BBR

asuwere

2/6/19
Looks nice. I might have to get one but I'd like to see some proper videos first. Don't need the car shots in the promo at all.

Falter

Patron
8/8/20
The gen is really sized 39mm?
I thought the Spiders line was all around 45mm.
I could be wrong though.

Reactions: TESLA760

Falter

Patron
8/8/20
Anyone have any updates with this model?
Just popped up on Ryan's website and seems like most TD's are able to source it now.

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
So I pulled the trigger on this and received it yesterday. I'm really happy with it but it is big, I measured it at 46.7 diameter and 57.7 lug length

I'll try and write up a detailed review at the weekend.

Reactions: Horace_Derwent

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
So I pulled the trigger on this and received it yesterday. I'm really happy with it but it is big, I measured it at 46.7 diameter and 57.7 lug length

I'll try and write up a detailed review at the weekend.
It would be really cool to have a review of niche pieces like this !

Anyway , the Gen is 45 mm

Reactions: CF_Stan

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
It would be really cool to have a review of niche pieces like this !

Anyway , the Gen is 45 mm

There are a lot of different Excalibur Skeleton models, most at 44 to 45mm. But this particular one is 39mm, so the rep is almost 8mm bigger.

Reactions: Horace_Derwent

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
Review up.

The first thing to note despite the flaws/inaccuracies is I really love this watch, I think BBR have done a very good job repping it and I’m really happy with it.

The gen is 39mm diameter, this is just over 46mm. It’s 56.6mm lug to lug and as the strap flares out wears pretty big. From studying images of older BBR Excalibur’s it looks like they have taken an older model as the base and then modified it to resemble the 0817. This is why the case diameter is so much larger than the gen. You can see from the tourbillon subdial where the 50 marker is very close to the minute track on the rep but on the gen there is a gap there. Also the Swiss Made text is wrong as well as the cut outs. The cut outs should be the same size and shape and mirror each other but the one on the left is very small.

Older model (0549):
HF6NRb.png

Subdial 50 marker green arrow, Swiss Made cut outs blue arrow:
HFrewt.jpeg

Gen:
HF8CJE.jpeg

HF8lOt.png

HF8QjF.jpeg

Weight:
HF6QbQ.jpeg

Diameter:
HF6PR8.jpeg

Lug to Lug:
HF6CBR.jpeg

Thickness:
HF6pUL.jpeg

The strap is completely wrong, and is the same strap used on previous BBR Excalibur’s. Which is a shame as the gen strap looks really nice and the red stitching ties in nicely with the dial accents. RD’s have the strap attached the other way round as well, with the longer piece with holes in it attached to the watch at 12 o’clock where as this is usually at 6 o’clock on almost every other watch. When I first noticed this I thought maybe it was mistake from the factory but I checked it against other RD reps and gens and they all have this configuration. I’m not sure if the part of the strap with the clasp attached to it is a bit too long as when I put it on, the inner part of the clasp is on the side of my wrist near the lugs. It’s not uncomfortable just a bit strange.
HF8pk2.jpeg

HF6ubc.jpeg

HF6XhK.jpeg

The build quality is good, the winding and time setting is quite smooth. As the mainspring is visible you can see this tightening while winding. The red star inserts are a reflective metallic, like chrome but not as reflective and look really nice when they catch the light.
HRvsro.jpeg

HF6d9v.jpeg

HF6ks1.jpeg

HF64Zj.jpeg

HF6Mq4.jpeg

HF67UX.jpeg

HF6EQi.jpeg

HF6sXI.jpeg

Hopefully this was helpful/interesting, happy to try and answer any questions.

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
Thank you, maybe for you. With the flared strap it’s pushing the limits on my wrist. I think a 44mm would have been perfect but just about pulling this off 😀.

ProperGains

Supporter
Certified
18/5/22
Does the balance wheel really have regulating screws? how accurate was the watch on the timegrapher?

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
Does the balance wheel really have regulating screws? how accurate was the watch on the timegrapher?
That's a good question, but I'm not sure. The timegrapher was +/- 5 seconds and I wear it in rotation, never for more than one day so I haven't needed to regulate it.

@Dr Fun Socks do you know the answer to the above?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
That's a good question, but I'm not sure. The timegrapher was +/- 5 seconds and I wear it in rotation, never for more than one day so I haven't needed to regulate it.

@Dr Fun Socks do you know the answer to the above?
I think theyre fake to be honest. Havent tried turning them, wouldn’t have a clue what im doing…. Seems unlikely a rep has regularing screws though, its not free sprung

ProperGains

Supporter
Certified
18/5/22
I think theyre fake to be honest. Havent tried turning them, wouldn’t have a clue what im doing…. Seems unlikely a rep has regularing screws though, its not free sprung
are you sure it's not free sprung, as there's no regulator that i can see on the balance bridge. it's got a single leg not 2 like the rest of the asian movements have.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
are you sure it's not free sprung, as there's no regulator that i can see on the balance bridge. it's got a single leg not 2 like the rest of the asian movements have.
Nah there is another one hidden under the tail end of the black arrow, which is also where it is on the gen just much better done. Free sprung is way more effort than its worth for rep factories. Ive looked at a lot of pics of the gen wondering why the arrow isnt always dead center on the other side, but its for regulating so thats why.