• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New release: VSF 2018 Seamaster wave dial

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
I think it looks good and your photos of the watch is very tempting. Is it a clone movement like how it's described by the TD?

Just got it. I hope to taken a closer look tomorrow The dial is standing out.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Mine just arrived. I think it looks like a really nice 1st effort. I obviously don't have the gen so I will have to rely on pictures that are available on the web. I know that the Omega website has some really nice close ups of this one so maybe I will try to put together some nice side by sides, but in the meantime here are some pics that I took. Sorry if it is too many, but I thought hey what the heck..... I tried to focus on the ceramic bezel, the movement & the lume pip as these seem to get the most scrutiny. Clearly the movement on this one is an A2836-2 as can be seen in some of the movement pics. It is not anything like the Aqua Terra & Aqua Terra GMT rep movements. Looks nice anyway, but if you take the watch off and give it to someone that knows what to look for they will know. On to the pics:

imranbecks

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/15
The Neutral Zone
^^^^ That looks brilliant! Very very sharp. Don't care that the movement isn't a clone. ETA is good enough imo. Very tempted to get it. But i'm waiting for them to do the other dial colours and of course release them with the new bracelets.

Reactions: vcappp

Shurething

Horology Curious
9/7/18
Thanks for those pictures! It looks like a really solid first version. It's a shame that the bezel pearl is so obnoxiously large compared to the gen, because otherwise it looks fantastic.

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
^^^^ That looks brilliant! Very very sharp. Don't care that the movement isn't a clone. ETA is good enough imo. Very tempted to get it. But i'm waiting for them to do the other dial colours and of course release them with the new bracelets.

+1. Waiting for the gray dial with blue hands. Would be nice if they would rep the rubber strap as well.

Reactions: stoyania

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Thanks for those pictures! It looks like a really solid first version. It's a shame that the bezel pearl is so obnoxiously large compared to the gen, because otherwise it looks fantastic.

You are welcome.
I think it is a pretty solid 1st version as well. There are sure to be more refinements to come, but for now this is what we have.

Tells in order of ease to spot as of right now (imho)
1) Nato strap:
All we see on the Omega site is bracelet and rubber. You can see this from across the room. Big deal? Maybe, maybe not. Lots of people change out straps etc, but I think most would at least want something that resembles the gen in this area. No doubt they will be both repped some time down the road. Andrew even told me that they would offer the bracelet separately down the road.
2) Bezel Pearl:
Pretty obvious if you know what to look for. Likely tell on the wrist (Only if you know what to look for) and certainly upon closer inspection. On the gen the pearl does not touch the triangle and in the rep it hangs into the triangle. I think this could be fixed pretty easily and unless you are really into Omega you are not likely to notice.
3) Ceramic Bezel Insert Numbers and printing:
Lots of Bitching on this one, but I don't know. My opinion on this one is that it is not all that big of a deal, but I'm sure others will disagree. My pic and the pic on the Omega website do not look all that different. Obviously I have not seen or held the gen yet, but on my rep the engraving is pretty subtle and not very deep. On the wrist I doubt anyone would be able to tell if it was engraved or a flat surface. If you rub your fingernail over the letters on the rep you can tell that it is engraved just a little.
4) Movement:
This one is going to cause some people to dismiss this rep completely and others probably are not going to care at all. Hey, it is on the back of the watch. Unless you take off the watch, there is absolutely 0% chance anyone will notice. If you do take it off and hand it to someone they are a) going to have to either have good eyesight or b) have a loop AND c) know what to look for. It's not like it is a Quartz movement in there or anything. I know for the experts it is an easy tell, but lets face it there just are not that many people out there that know or care enough to notice this even if handed the watch to look at. Underneath all the decoration and rotor It is an A2836-2 which will be easy to work on and fix if anything goes wrong.

imranbecks

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/15
The Neutral Zone
+1. Waiting for the gray dial with blue hands. Would be nice if they would rep the rubber strap as well.

Ah yes.. The potential Bond watch judging by Omega's recent publicity image of Bond wearing it...

43459450664_a459b17d46_b.jpg

42369616440_0695117485_b.jpg

Reactions: leo6929

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
I agree. As far as the movement goes, the nato strap is covering it. I’d like to get a bracelet when it’s available.
The dial has some nice effects in the sun. It catches the attention.

The bezel engraving is very light and not noticeable from most distances. You pretty much have to feel it.

Stuntman81

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/3/16
Is it just me or does the bezel and lume pip look pretty spot on? Maybe I'm missing something but from most of the good quality photos I've seen the pip definitely touches the sides of the triangle and there's the tiniest indent on the bezel numerals .

Here's an example from ablogtowatch;

Compare that to Nanook65 excellent pictures on the previous page and tell me if I'm missing something?

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I was actually going to reference that pic on ablogtowatch too. Based on that pic, the rep looks pretty spot on.

I think sometimes these tiny details get blown out of proportion by a large margin. Often if a camera angle is different or the lighting is different when these pictures are magnified as much as they are it winds up looking like a huge mistake or tell when in fact it is actually very close

Shurething

Horology Curious
9/7/18
The pearl actually looks pretty close in this gen pic.

https://i.imgur.com/GiDapNCl.jpg

That's actually a really interesting picture. You can definitely tell that the pip extends over the triangle on that example.

It's really strange that all of Omega's renders/photos on their website show a much smaller pip that doesn't extend into the triangle at all.

Take a look: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...axial-master-chronometer-42-mm-21030422001001

I'm really starting to second guess myself. I suppose I need to go to my AD and actually check one out in person and see if I can't snag some photos. I just don't know what to believe!

Reactions: column

Stuntman81

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/3/16
Totally agree - these little details really wouldn't bother me if they did exist but as far as I can see they've done a spot on job.

Another picture illustrating the relief on the bezel numbers - look closely at the 40 on the bezel and surrounding minute marks - photo clearly shows shadow picked up in the relief

As far as I can see the obvious tell is the fact you can't buy the gen yet! ????

Great watch - loving these new releases from VSF

Reactions: leo6929

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
As I mentioned, you get some interesting effects with the ceramic dial not just in sunlight but other conditions as well

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
Mine just arrived. I think it looks like a really nice 1st effort. I obviously don't have the gen so I will have to rely on pictures that are available on the web. I know that the Omega website has some really nice close ups of this one so maybe I will try to put together some nice side by sides, but in the meantime here are some pics that I took. Sorry if it is too many, but I thought hey what the heck..... I tried to focus on the ceramic bezel, the movement & the lume pip as these seem to get the most scrutiny. Clearly the movement on this one is an A2836-2 as can be seen in some of the movement pics. It is not anything like the Aqua Terra & Aqua Terra GMT rep movements. Looks nice anyway, but if you take the watch off and give it to someone that knows what to look for they will know. On to the pics:

wow you have great photography skills!

So the remaining mystery is why VSF use 2836-2 movement instead of their newly developed super clone movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
wow you have great photography skills!
Thanks

So the remaining mystery is why VSF use 2836-2 movement instead of their newly developed super clone movement.
Yea, hard to imagine why they would have done this. I would have to guess that the new movement will be coming in this watch at some not too distant future time.

imranbecks

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/15
The Neutral Zone
Didn't know that, I guess I have a thing for Bond watches
You are not the only one. Wait till you see my collection of Bond watches. It's a mixture of rep and gen..haha..

I hope VSF can rep that grey dial..... This photo of it won me over. Not a fan of the thumbprint waves, but the colour of the dial looks brilliant!
​​​​
43288152295_c1d37caaa0_b.jpg

Reactions: vcappp and leo6929