• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New PO45 and one gripe

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Even with a tool like that.. these damn PO pins are crazy to get out! I wanted to throw mine against the wall I got so damn upset trying to size it. :x

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
that pin pusher tool didn't work for me. i had to use the small mallet and the grey bracelet holding tool and tap them out.

rozel

Horology Curious
20/3/07
hk45ca said:
i had to use the small mallet

Hehe - I wonder how many of us have resorted to using that tool to finally "push" home those damn pins lol!

Just hope the movements are up to the shocks.

roz

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
hk45ca said:
that pin pusher tool didn't work for me. i had to use the small mallet and the grey bracelet holding tool and tap them out.

Yes,that works but you have to be very careful. The parts that make up one link on the PO are snapped together quite securely but if you excessively tap the pins to get them out, this can happen: one link or more falls apart as they snap off....

I actually figured out a more fool-proof way:

I was going to post a pictorial but i am quite busy so here is the write up instead.

All you need is a pair of medium size pliers, you cover the indented parts of the pliers with enough duck tape that you do not feel the teeth. This is to prevent those teeth from denting the links...

Then, you will need another pair of medium size pliers and these ones do not need to be ducktaped. Then, a pin removal tool like the one pictured in this thread.

Then you are ready.

1- Use the pin remover to push out the pin as much as it will go out then STOP

2-With the ducktaped pliers, you will grab on very tightly to the link you need to take off. You must apply the pliers on the part of the lonk that is against the pin side. The PO links are made of three seperate parts. Make sure the pliers do "ply" pn the pin side of the link.

3-With the other pliers (the uncovered ones) you ply on the pin

4-Then with a steady hand, you use the hand plying the link to stabilze the watch/bracelet. This hand and the pliers are NOT to move during the pulling (a little moving wont hurt,so dont panic).

5-The hand with the untaped pliers will pull nice and steady on the pin. The secret is some muscle but NO WIGGLING during the process, otherwise you will bend the pin or something.

THAT IS IT

It may sound much harder than it actually is. In fact it is very easy. I wish I could show you a video of it but I am still learning where the ENTER key is on my keyboard.

Honestly, it is easy enough that I could size all your bands with hardly any effort.

PM me for clarifications if need be.

This is what i see a watch forum as: helpful and informative. Leave the dirty laundry out of it. :wink:

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
the grey bracelet holding tool won't let the links push apart. i did my 45 and my 42 in about 30 minutes or so. the breitling jigsaw puzzles are the ones that give me a headache. i thought the omegas were easy. they are a damn site easier than a seiko.

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06
hk45ca said:
the grey bracelet holding tool won't let the links push apart. i did my 45 and my 42 in about 30 minutes or so. the breitling jigsaw puzzles are the ones that give me a headache. i thought the omegas were easy. they are a damn site easier than a seiko.

Honest, with the two pliers way, it takes no more than 15 to 20 minutes and no risk to your bracelet.

rozel

Horology Curious
20/3/07
Those instructions are good. However I'm not sure many members have difficulties removing these pins - it's an easy job to push out the pins using a suitable tool - mine is part of a cheap 20-piece toolkit obtained off the Bay. However it is reinserting the pins after say removing the links to join up the bracelet once more. This is where the mallet comes in. You can push the pins gently back in so far - as far as pin just enters the inner tube, after that - I can not see any tool that can push the pin all the way back completely - this is where the mallet comes in.

Unless someone knows better?.......................

roz

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
rozel said:
Those instructions are good. However I'm not sure many members have difficulties removing these pins - it's an easy job to push out the pins using a suitable tool -Unless someone knows better?.......................

roz

lol, :shock:

Yeah, there are/were many people with this problem. I think the smaller bracelet (cant remember if it's on the lite version or not) were better than the UPO. The pins have always been a major problem. You may have lucked out. :)

rozel

Horology Curious
20/3/07
Well I have both a UPO and a PO Chrono, bought within a week of each other. Before trying to re-size my bracelets, I searched on here and found a brilliant resizing tutorial as a Sticky, in the Omega Section: -

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22481

I could not achieve what he did in steps 7 and 8 as my pin-removing tool is just that - a removing tool - it does not have a pusher which can be adjusted to have a "flat" end. So I hammer home the pins after gently inserting them as far as I can with some small, long-nosed pliers.

For removal, I use the tool to push out the pin as far as I can - the distance it comes out is the length of your pusher-pin in your removal tool, then I grab hold of the pin with a pair of long-nosed pliers, grip firmly, hold the bracelet firmly and pull, whilst gritting your teeth lol! Ensure that the pin doesn't go flying across the room, never to be found again - same goes for the damn pin tubes - god these things fall and land in the most crazyiest of places, don't they? - have a small torch handy if this happens to try and locate it on your floor. Not sure adjusting your bracelet is the easiest on top of a carpeted floor - pins bury themselves in the pile of the carpet, or on top of laminated floors - they then go shooting across the floor under skirtings etc etc haha!

So far have only managed to bend one pin and it easily straightened out - the long nosed pliers don't seem to damage the pins too much either, thus not allowing re-insertion.

Yes it's bloody frustrating, but hopefully once you have adjusted your bracelet, you never have to do it again - that is unless they introduce a 6th Gen PO haha!

But these Omega bracelets are simply gorgeous aren't they and well worth all the pain?

roz

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06
I will repeat what I wrote:

my way is so simple, I actually enjoyed doing it the four times I have had four different PO's...

The trickest part is the pulling of the pin once it has been pushed out a bit. The inner tube is dented and works as a stopper so the pin does not slide out....and that is what is so tight and hard to come loose.

The two pliers way gets rid of HAMMERING....

CAREFUL: even with a small gentle mallet, hammering risks that a link might come apart.

It has happen to me twice and I was using the gentliest of force when hammering a pin back in, passed the dented inner tubing.