• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New heavier 15400 by APS

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Hi, I received my qc pics and now you got in my head about the copper tone.. to be honest I didn't really see it in the pics you posted only some which very likely can be lighting. My question is, does mine look improved or does it look more coppery then the previous apsf versions. its very tricky as lighting plays a big part but was hoping to get other opinions whether or not this is an issue with this latest version or not
It's the tungsten - rose gold plating. Plating doesn't adhere very well to tungsten alloys, which means the blend of metals they use to plate is different, they cannot achieve "gen like" color easily, which is why it's copper.

But, as for enjoyment, I think it should be no big deal.

I still advocate for the regular steel APSF - these ones are easier to replate.

I wouldn't care too much about "accuracy to gen" quite frankly. Just enjoy the watch for what it is. It is very rare you will happen upon someone with a 15400 in RG in your daily life, and even real rose gold from AP changes color. Google it around and you'll see some owners complaining about their AP changing color after a few years lol

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
The pics and video posted show the rep as completely lacking the pink hue that you would have seen in a brand new piece, sure, but it's also pretty much spot-on to what these can look like after several years.

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
I own the ASPF 15400 tungsten and my friend the gen "pounder" offshore. The gold hue is barely distinguishable. You can buy with confidence. As for the strap quality, it's garbage. Get one from @Tan_Go .

• Love
Reactions: Tan_Go

fishysquishy

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
It's the tungsten - rose gold plating. Plating doesn't adhere very well to tungsten alloys, which means the blend of metals they use to plate is different, they cannot achieve "gen like" color easily, which is why it's copper.

But, as for enjoyment, I think it should be no big deal.

I still advocate for the regular steel APSF - these ones are easier to replate.

I wouldn't care too much about "accuracy to gen" quite frankly. Just enjoy the watch for what it is. It is very rare you will happen upon someone with a 15400 in RG in your daily life, and even real rose gold from AP changes color. Google it around and you'll see some owners complaining about their AP changing color after a few years lol
Thank you for this info! I had no idea gens change

fishysquishy

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
I own the ASPF 15400 tungsten and my friend the gen "pounder" offshore. The gold hue is barely distinguishable. You can buy with confidence. As for the strap quality, it's garbage. Get one from @Tan_Go .
Thank you for your response! this does make me feel better. Happens to be after I asked my question regarding copper tone, I noticed that the "Automatic" on the dial was completely not centered.. Still waiting for another pic to see if it was the angle although I doubt it.

Tan_Go

Renowned Member
Vendor (Strap Maker)
Certified
17/10/20
Thank you for your recommendation :)
By the way, remember this hottie ? I still use that watch to make straps :D

fishysquishy

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
Btw, what is your overall impression of the watch? do you have this latest version or the 140gram one?

I specifically asked if the clasp also has tungsten in it as I was concerned that if It didnt, it would feel very light and flimsy compared to the case. My dealer told me they asked the factory and confirmed that the clasp does in fact have tungsten as well.. this was referring to the latest version, not sure about V1 though.