• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New gen PO 42 2500C advice

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
So I bit the bullet and bagged myself a gen 2011 PO 42 2500C off of eBay. Whilst I love the watch, I have some ongoing issues with the seller as it was advertised as 'superb condition' but turned up at my door step with a big chunk out of one of the lugs :thud:. But that's another story (see here if you want to know more http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?269591-Newly-purchased-PO-42-2500C-advice).

Interestingly the watch is actually a 2901.50 reference so the bracelet must have been added after purchase. Could some of the experts here cast their eyes over the bracelet I got to make sure it's gen. It certainly feels much more solid than the v5 PO bracelets I've handled and the diver's extension is very firm indeed, but I'd rather get the 'all clear' from you guys if that's okay. Here are some quick pics...

And here's the lug ding :facepalm:

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Seriously don't know, but I think the bracelet is gen too, cause if it feels better than a v5

Sent from my iPod touch using crazy lagging app called Tapatalk ;)

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
don't worry

so long as the serial number on the lugs and in the omega cards match, your safe, otherwise, this looks gen to me, no need to worry..

IMO just needs a little refinishing though, nothing that a scotch brite pad and cape cod cloth would not do to this baby.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
so long as the serial number on the lugs and in the omega cards match, your safe, otherwise, this looks gen to me, no need to worry..

IMO just needs a little refinishing though, nothing that a scotch brite pad and cape cod cloth would not do to this baby.

I'm not worried about the head - the serials match and I'm quite sure it's gen, but it is a 2901.50 so the bracelet was added later. The seller claims that it was off of a PO 42 LM LE. Can anyone confirm this for me? (TIA)

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Yep bracelet is gen, endlink cut and finish and clasp definitely gen. Pity about the missing chunk, hate ebay for poor descriptions, more often than not something is left out of the details.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
to be quite honest, looking at the chunk missing on tz-uk, it is clearly badly damaged, it could be improved but never really restored to factory finish. I would seek a refund, £1800 is around the price I would expect to pay for near mint.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Bracelet look gen to me also.

I do agree with drbollocko though, you should ask for a refund, there is a whole piece missing there from the case.

Scarface

1/3/11
I'm not worried about the head - the serials match and I'm quite sure it's gen, but it is a 2901.50 so the bracelet was added later. The seller claims that it was off of a PO 42 LM LE. Can anyone confirm this for me? (TIA)

My Gen LM LE has the same bracelet but it is also on other models also,so not necessarily from the LE but gen it is

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
to be quite honest, looking at the chunk missing on tz-uk, it is clearly badly damaged, it could be improved but never really restored to factory finish. I would seek a refund, £1800 is around the price I would expect to pay for near mint.

As much as I appreciate your opinion, please show me a mint 2011 PO 42 on SS for £1800. The average price I've seen available to buy in the UK (I.e. without being charged Customs fees) is £2000+ for older models with bezel insert scratches and scuffed clasps.

On principal I should demand a full refund and sit and wait months for a perfect example 2500C, but I've fallen in love with it and I have negotiated a partial refund to cover a case refurb. It isn't as noticeable as my first photo would suggest and I'm looking at using Rocco at Watchworks who apparently works wonders. I'll post before and after pics when it's all done and dusted.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
As much as I appreciate your opinion, please show me a mint 2011 PO 42 on SS for £1800. The average price I've seen available to buy in the UK (I.e. without being charged Customs fees) is £2000+ for older models with bezel insert scratches and scuffed clasps.

On principal I should demand a full refund and sit and wait months for a perfect example 2500C, but I've fallen in love with it and I have negotiated a partial refund to cover a case refurb. It isn't as noticeable as my first photo would suggest and I'm looking at using Rocco at Watchworks who apparently works wonders. I'll post before and after pics when it's all done and dusted.

Well Rocco does a really good job on micro filling, it should make it look really good, one of the best around for this work.
As for price, yep I know they have gone up, and on ebay and others they are at a premium, the main way as you say is to wait it out grab one when they come up on tz/wus etc, not easy but doable.....but I agree they just seem more scarce than anything at the moment. I do most of my buying/selling on tzuk also, and while not much around right now, I noticed there was a host of 2500 POs at good prices around Feb/March/April:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?251509-FS-Omega-2010-Planet-Ocean-42-ANOTHER-PRICE-REDUX
http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Orange-Bezel-with-bracelet-and-Omega-Warranty!!
http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?253966-FS-Omega-planet-ocean-orange-bezel-2500-co-axil-42mm

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
You're right - maybe I should have bought one earlier in the year! I reckon more and more buyers are being put off with the heavier and chunkier 8500s and reverting to the 2500s.

Having said that I've paid net £1700 for my 2011 2500C B & P which is still under warranty. I reckon a case and bracelet refurb from Rocco will set me back £150ish so £1850 ain't too bad all in...

Quick question - the watch is currently running +5s / day which is probably just about <COSC, but is it worth me asking an AD to regulate it whilst it's still under warranty?

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Really nice final pics. Looks very nice. Looking at the pics it doesn't look as bad as initially seemed, apart from the dent, the watch is in very very good condition. Rocco will do a great job on that dent, it will look like it never existed after he works on it. Not many around do the quality of micro work he can do, I've seen some vintage flightmaster and vintage heuer work he has done on some very banged up pieces, they looked outstanding after.
He should be able to regulate also, although the 2500 is regulated a little different to a 2892 it should be straightforward enough. +5s pd is not too bad.

It's funny I was actually thinking of selling my PO earlier this year and was trying to come up with a price, now I think I'll hold onto it permanently, I do love the watch, just that I had a lot of incomings and was looking to get funds quickly and thought I'd pick one up again, glad I didn't now, I may not find one too easy at all.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Really nice final pics. Looks very nice. Looking at the pics it doesn't look as bad as initially seemed, apart from the dent, the watch is in very very good condition. Rocco will do a great job on that dent, it will look like it never existed after he works on it. Not many around do the quality of micro work he can do, I've seen some vintage flightmaster and vintage heuer work he has done on some very banged up pieces, they looked outstanding after.
He should be able to regulate also, although the 2500 is regulated a little different to a 2892 it should be straightforward enough. +5s pd is not too bad.

It's funny I was actually thinking of selling my PO earlier this year and was trying to come up with a price, now I think I'll hold onto it permanently, I do love the watch, just that I had a lot of incomings and was looking to get funds quickly and thought I'd pick one up again, glad I didn't now, I may not find one too easy at all.

Cheers matey. Now you can see why I'm fairly happy with £1700 all in. The bezel insert and crystal are perfect - how the original owner managed to bang up the case on that lug is beyond me - it must have been one hell of a whack!

Yeah I've read the 2500C and Ds are lacking regulation screws and they need a special tool. I normally do it myself, but I don't want to risk screwing up the movement. +5s / day ain't too bad so maybe I should break it in for a month or so.

The 2500 POs are modern classics in my opinion. I actually prefer them to the chunky 8500s price notwithstanding. Good knows why Omega thought they needed a 16mm case and display back for a modern diver. I was tempted to do a Franken knowing that the v5 reps are so good, but I just couldn't be bothered. My advice is keep hold of your PO - prices are only going one way and it ain't South ;-)

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
oh wow I did not notice the very big DING, not just a scratch yeah I do a refund of that mate, looks badly beat up and an unloved pre-owned watch, think of that dreaded sales quote "Unwanted Gift"..yeah it is not in good shape..I hope not.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
oh wow I did not notice the very big DING, not just a scratch yeah I do a refund of that mate, looks badly beat up and an unloved pre-owned watch, think of that dreaded sales quote "Unwanted Gift"..yeah it is not in good shape..I hope not.

Cheers mate but I'm keeping it with some money coming back my way to cover case repair costs. Other than the ding it's in good nick. All's well that ends well and all that...