• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Crown and Tube - Can I install this myself?

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
Hi all,

I just sourced a new Gen crown and tube for my TC Sub LV.
I know this isn't rocket science and I'm fairly good with my hands.
I also have some basic watch tools.

So is this something that I can do myself without f@#king up my watch?
Any good tutorials out there?

I usually have Kevin (Ko67) do all my mods but he hasn't been responding so I assume he's unavailable right now.

Please advise,

Tony

junbug5150

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
24/12/14
Use a tube removal tool like this:

590816.jpg

Or a rat tail file and unscrew the tube by going counter clockwise. Pretty simple :)

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Ive used a tiny Eazy-out to both remove and install tubes

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
I was able to get it done.
Thanks junbug for your help.
The only problem is, there is a 1mm gap between the crown and case.
I'm thinking the either the gen tube is a little longer then the rep tube or I didn't screw it in far enough.
It went in pretty easily and I cranked it in tight but it still sticks out too far.
Any ideas?

THIS IS AS FAR AS I COULD SCREW IT:

HERE's WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE:

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
How did the tube length match up? I'm guessing the tube threads on the gen were slightly longer. I'm wondering if you can shave down the end.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
How did the tube length match up? I'm guessing the tube threads on the gen were slightly longer. I'm wondering if you can shave down the end.

Either that or he needs to countersink the hole a little bit more

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Gen tube has a shoulder on it and you need to countersink the case for it to go all the way in.

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13

They looked the same as far as I could tell.

Either that or he needs to countersink the hole a little bit more

I think you may be right. Looks like the opening of the case is not wide enough for the beveled part of the tube.
I'll take it back out tonight and try that.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I learned the hard way too. I still have a Daytona with a gen tube that sticks out.

dbane883

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/12
Usually best to retap the case when installing gen tubes. The correct tap is M3x0.35mm

Please don't take a drill bit to countersink a wider opening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
Usually best to retap the case when installing gen tubes. The correct tap is M3x0.35mm
Please don't take a drill bit to countersink a wider opening!
Well, I didn't see dbane's post and went ahead and used a drill bit to countersink the hole. It actually worked out OK.
I was able to screw the tube in farther which is what I was after. My problem now is that, when I went to re-install the stem into the movement, the stem release button is stuck all the way down. Must have happened when I released it earlier.

For the life of me, I can't un-stick it and stem will not stay in the movement.
I guess it's off to a modder for repair. A quick google search tells me that the keyless works are upset.

I'm not sure I'm quite ready to tackle this.
Any ideas? Anyone on the forums that can fix this for me?

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
Well, I didn't see dbane's post and went ahead and used a drill bit to countersink the hole. It actually worked out OK.
I was able to screw the tube in farther which is what I was after. My problem now is that, when I went to re-install the stem into the movement, the stem release button is stuck all the way down. Must have happened when I released it earlier.

For the life of me, I can't un-stick it and stem will not stay in the movement.
I guess it's off to a modder for repair. A quick google search tells me that the keyless works are upset.

I'm not sure I'm quite ready to tackle this.
Any ideas? Anyone on the forums that can fix this for me?

Keyless... It dislodged the set lever from being pressed too hard. You may need this if it's ETA or clone:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=18060

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
BTW just so you know, the stem release button should always be pressed with a flat head. It prevents it from being pressed too hard. You'll see the groove was made for it.

Made this mistake a thousand times myself.

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
Junbug, the link in that thread is dead. Looks like I'll either be learning how to remove dial and hands or sending it off. Gotta do a little more research.

Ah, you need to be signed up with RWG.bz. Still working for me. It's worth signing up for as it helped me learn how to fix the issue.