• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need some repair/upgrade for a sub

Mark9117

31/5/12
I fumbled and dropped one of my subs this afternoon. It landed on carpet from about 4 feet and made a solid thud. Sure enough, the marker at 1 o'clock has disloged itself.

I'm not above working on watches, but I can't seem to get the back off this watch with my tools, and I'm not inclined to go to this much trouble for a small thing that really does have to be fixed. I figure since the marker is off the dial already, why not take the plunge I've been threatening to take for years - have the whole thing relumed.

So, I'm looking for somebody in CONUS to relume my sub. I'd be happy to get some pics of the watch up if necessary, but I have this job that's soaking up time.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on this?

Thanks.

Mark

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
How is the lume on it currently? A marker thats popped off is as good as any reason to get a relume... but if its good, putting the marker back is an easy job.

D

d4m.test

Get the back off: a thick rubber glove from the kitchen sink often works wonders, press hard and long and repeatedly;
Take 2: Huaxing (or similar) caseback opener from ebay and China goes for about $15 to $25 and opens/closes everything, always comes in handy;
The loose lumedot can just be re-glued in place normally.

Mark9117

31/5/12
Thanks JS1953. Those were the links I needed.

The lume is actually pretty good for a rep, which is to say that it could be a lot better. It pales in comparison to my Seiko and Orient gens. I think a lume job is in order.

DAYWATCH I'm hip to the openers. I have a variety of tools including a set of dies and handle for Rolex backs. I just can't get enough muscle on it, even with the watch in a holder. I think I need a vice. Or somebody else to do it for me.

And then there's that lume job....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mark9117

31/5/12
Further developments on this front: I contacted Gary at Katt's Watch Repair about this. He's done some work for me on a sub before and I was REALLY pleased at his service, quality of work and turnaround time. I can't say enough about how happy I was with the experience. Unfortunately, Gary says that he doesn't do lume.

I couldn't get any response from anyone else in CONUS who is listed in the watch mods section, so, I started looking at non-CONUS. Everybody raves about Vac, so I contacted him. His reply was prompt and succinct. The price was not unreasonable, so I asked for details. Then I looked at how much it was going to cost me to ship the thing to Thailand. Ouch. The price to relume the thing is roughly what I paid for it.

It also looks like it can take anywhere from 30 - 60 days to get the package to Thailand. The list of reasons to not go the relume route have piled up and now it's either I do the relume myself or just have Katt's put the hour marker back where it belongs. I really don't see myself taking up the lume thing at this point - I just don't have that kind of time.

Does anybody see another option that I'm missing? Or should I just head the piece to Katt's and be done with it. Which is what will happen next Thursday or Friday if no other option turns up.

I appreciate the input folks. Let me know.

Thanks.

Mark

Edit: okay, just noticed that Strodda advertises lume jobs. Trying to contact him.

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
How is the lume on it currently? A marker thats popped off is as good as any reason to get a relume... but if its good, putting the marker back is an easy job.

^ This guy does it all!! ;-)