• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need help buying an Omega...

chingching48

Horology Curious
13/11/09
Hi all,

This is my first post & my first time buying a watch, I really no nothing about watches so I need all the help I can get :)

Even though I don't know much about them, I've always been in love with the look of Omega watches and have always wanted one. I really like this one: http://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmin/templates/omega-watches/img-watchesbig/22185000.gif
22185000.gif

How do I buy one? What should I expect to pay for a good quality one?

Thanks for all your help and if there are any tips/recommendations you have please pass them on!

Thank you!!!

Jon

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
First of all - Welcome!
I would suggest for your first watch that you do not buy a chrono model. The A7750 movement in these is a bit dodgy and you don't want to ruin your entry to the hobby with a faulty watch right off the bat.
For the non-chrono version of this watch, I recommend buying one from Daytona4Me. Great guy and a great bargain on a truly nice watch. I have 3 (2 for me and 1 for my son):
WatchPics057.jpg

Or, get an Omega SMP from FakeMaster. Very inexpensive and extremely reliable:
WatchPics019.jpg

Be sure to read a lot and ask questions as needed.

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
+1 on the SMP from Fakey!! You won't believe what you'll get for what you paid. Hand assembled, serviced, and waterproofed! Plus if you're in the US, no customs worries. And if you like the Planet Ocean, he does those as well. BTW, welcome to the Forum! Let us know what you decide to go with and post some pics when you get it. Take care.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I have two from fakey and 1 from Narikaa, and so would second what you've already seen here. If you like the SMP, absolutely go with fakey. The PO is a tough call, because Narikaa's is well priced, but fakey's is a very good value. Toss a coin, there. Post pics!

Here's my PO from fakey:

FPOclose.jpg

chingching48

Horology Curious
13/11/09
Thanks so much for your responses! Do you know if anyone offers the chrono model? I love the non-chrono version (I'm sure there's a term for it that I don't know!) but my first desire is for the chrono one. I'm looking for more of a showpiece than a timepiece...

But the ones you posted do look incredible! Thanks for all your help. Can't believe I spent 4 hours on this site last night! I was expecting to make more of a "simple" internet transaction, but when I couldn't find any solid testimonials on the sites that came up in google, I came across this site which is the first legit looking one I found. Anyway - can't wait to get the ball rolling and I'll be sure to post pics with what I end up deciding on... Thanks so much!

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/9/09
Welcome mate! You will see soon that 4 hours is no time when you really want to make use of all the information you can find here in the forum! Be prepared ;-)

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Welcome!

The first decision you'll need to make is whether you'd like that watch to be automatic (i.e., it charges with the movement of your arm) or quartz (i.e., it's battery operated). The latter is more reliable but not as close, at least in terms of operation, to the real deal.

If you decide to go with the automatic version, there are at least three main options: cheap version with faux chronos, earlier good model with incorrect subdial spacing, or most recent good model where the spacing has been rectified. The latter two options typically run an A7750, which I like to get serviced when I plan to keep for a long time (but that's up to you). I would suggest to pay attention to these options and differences when you choose your watch.

Here are some examples taken randomly from some of our dealers...

Cheap auto version with faux chronos:

ome102.jpg

Auto older version:

OMG-UPO-CHRONO-01.JPG

An auto more recent version:

pic.php

A quartz version (this one's got a stupid 007 logo on it, but many others don't):

pic.php

As you can see there are lots of variants out there. Once you have made up your mind regarding what you want (i.e., price level, auto vs quartz, accuracy vs reliability, etc), choose a dealer and ask them for a quote. Remember: dealers will reply to you much more quickly if you know exactly what you want!

Best of luck, and let us know how you go. :)

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
good info roost ................... i have a few omegas and all are auto except the crono your after .............. the quartz version is v good mate but it will not pass a close inspection .......

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
Thanks so much for your responses! Do you know if anyone offers the chrono model? I love the non-chrono version (I'm sure there's a term for it that I don't know!) but my first desire is for the chrono one. I'm looking for more of a showpiece than a timepiece...

But the ones you posted do look incredible! Thanks for all your help. Can't believe I spent 4 hours on this site last night! I was expecting to make more of a "simple" internet transaction, but when I couldn't find any solid testimonials on the sites that came up in google, I came across this site which is the first legit looking one I found. Anyway - can't wait to get the ball rolling and I'll be sure to post pics with what I end up deciding on... Thanks so much!

Read as much as you can, mate. You will soon realize that there's an insane amount of knowledge within these threads and it's all there for you to take advantage. Aim well, choose watch and then choose you dealer. Share pictures and ideas with us and let us know how you are getting along. ;)

chingching48

Horology Curious
13/11/09
Thank you so much everyone for you help! That was really helpful Rooster.

I just send the following message to 2 dealers on the site that looked good... Hopefully that will do it? Thank you again!

Hello,

Could you please give me a quote for the following?
An Omega Planet Ocean 45.5 Seamaster chrono automatic, orange dial, the most updated version at the highest quality.

Thank you,

Jon

Renowned Member
30/3/09
Its exciting and nerve wracking at the same time isn't ChingChing? But its good fun. What model have you decided on?

The Dude

Renowned Member
18/2/09
My favorites are the Railmaster and the Seamaster Aqua Terra, but I tend to go for understated more than bling:

B136_Omega_Railmaster_6.JPG

2518.jpg

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Thank you so much everyone for you help! That was really helpful Rooster.

I just send the following message to 2 dealers on the site that looked good... Hopefully that will do it? Thank you again!

Hello,

Could you please give me a quote for the following?
An Omega Planet Ocean 45.5 Seamaster chrono automatic, orange dial, the most updated version at the highest quality.

Thank you,

Jon

How did you go, CC? Have you found what you like? Keep us posted.

chingching48

Horology Curious
13/11/09
Hi Rooster - I ordered the Planet Ocean 45.5 Seamaster chrono automatic, orange dial updated version through Robert @ TIme4DIrect. I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks for your help!

chingching48

Horology Curious
13/11/09
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering... This is my first purchase. I paid for it on the morning of the 17th and was told it was being dispatched on the 19th. About how long does it typically take to recieve the product? Is it time to put in a message to my dealer?

Thanks again!

Jon

krustybrand

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/3/06
Patience is a virtue in this game. Nerve-wracking it is, but a couple of weeks or even longer is common.
Enjoy!