• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need a lil' help with a PO clasp that keeps opening

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Got a 42.5mm PO (4th gen). Love it, except I can't seem to keep the damn clasp buckled. If I flex my wrist just so, the whole thing springs open. I know the hidden diver's clasp is lousy at staying in place on this model, and I can live with that. But I'm really concerned about the main clasp coming undone all the time. Any suggestions?

And fair warning-- if anyone makes the suggestion that I should just buy an Ultimate, I will kick you in the head. Don't want it, don't need it.

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
Shame on you, and a mod no less. First result from a search of po clasp fix:

Quoted from (Importer):
Literally all of my Omega reps had the crappy button clasp issue. I took the 1 middle pin out of the clasp which hold the plate down. (the plate that hides the spring wire)
Re-shape the wire slightly with a small pair of pliers. The wire is set in an angular fashion, so only connecting with one side of the 'mushroom'.
You need to make the wire sit parallel to the mushroom & clasp.

There's a slight amount of bending & spreading before the clasp locks tightly and positively. Its very difficult to explain though!
Trial & error, I guess....

I'll try to upload some pics of the wire (before and after) when I get back from camping.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Yeah, I did a search, but I didn't find any answers that I was terribly happy with. I read about that re-shaping the wire thing, but it was never clear to me how that actually worked. So I guess what I'm really looking for is a clear, step-by-step guide. Cuz I'm all confused!

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
you might wanna buy a new clasp and replace it......got any close up pictures of troubled area?

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
After fixing the button clasp as per Importer, fix your extension as well...

I posted this else where (think on this very board) a while back... stick a sort-a large flat screwdriver blade between the two "prongs" of the divers extension piece and twist it a bit to spread em apart... fixes loose Omega divers extensions in a heartbeat.

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
Sorry sean, this doesn't help with your problem, but to comment on the thread oirogers was talking about....

In there it also has a fix for the link closest to the engraved end poping out of alignment with the clasp. Mine did this when my wrist would flex instead of the whole clasp popping open. The fix as suggested in that thread was to bend the small piece of metal connecting the clasp to the rest of the bracelet to bring it into tighter alignment. I did this as far as I was comfortable bending it, and it worked very well. It still pops out but it takes alot more stress to do it. Just tonight I also tried putting a small amount of clear tape on the link where it contacts the clasp. This adds more friction and a tiny amount of bulk...just enough to keep it from popping out....and it is invisable! It has been in perfect tight alignment ever since!

Actually a step by step picture turtorial of tighting the mechinism like sean asked for would be awesome. If I had more time I would give it a shot...

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
The reason I asked this question is because I've read several of the fixes, but it's never really been clear to me how you do it. And I've also read a few posts where people have tried to perform fixes with screwdrivers, only to end up damaging their watch. I love my PO, and before I take a huge-ass screwdriver to it, I want to make sure that I know exactly what to do.

And chief3630-- I did put some scotch tape on the diver's clasp to see if that would stop it from popping out. It helped, but it didn't prevent it completely. Which makes me think that maybe I just didn't do it right.

So-- open offer to all members. Anyone who can put together the comprehensive guide (preferably with pictures) on how to fix the Omeeeega clasp problem, I'll send you $500 RWI. Aim is to make it a sticky for everyone.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
The clasp itself, unlike the divers extension, is not held closed by friction. It is dependent in the spring closing tightly around the "pin". You need to take the clasp apart and bend the pin slightly so as it will close tighter. Also, I find that if you wear the bracelet too tight, you will be more prone to these types of problems. My first suggestion would be to lengthen it by a 1/2 link :D

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
From an Omega site...

Why am I having trouble with the clasp staying closed?

The Seamaster Pro bracelet clasp may not stay closed tightly. There are two causes of this problem.

By far the most common cause is if the diver's extension is not closed properly. There is a small flange at the hinge of the extension that must be tucked under the metal crossbar when the extension is closed. If not, the extension does not close flush, preventing the main clasp mechanism from closing fully. If your clasp keeps popping open unexpectedly on you, this is likely the cause

troubleshoot_smp_clasp_close.jpg

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
thanks for the great info with picture, andreww

hmm....i gotta check mine when i get home tonight... :?

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Andreww-- any indication on how to fix it? Safely? As I mentioned, I'm more than a little apprehensive to just go in there with a big ol' screwdriver and start prying stuff.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Forget the screwdriver for now, thats only for the divers extension, and that doesn't seem to be your problem. Examine the clasp while not on your wrist. does it close tight? Are you pressing the buttons to close it? Some people just snap it shut, but I find that holding the buttons while closing the clasp ensures a tight fit. Do both buttons move freely? If the clasp holds fairly firmly while off your wrist, then you likely have the bracelet sized too small. When you flex your wrist, something has to give, and the clasp is where this will show. Like I said before, add a half link. I did this on my 42mm and the bracelet works much better.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Andrew-- I do snap it shut, but I don't think the sizing is the problem. In fact, my PO is the loosest of all the watches I own. I originally had it fairly snug, but it was very uncomfortable for me, so I added in half a link. It slides freely up and down my wrist now (nothing I can do about that, and I really don't mind. I much prefer a loose, bracelet-like fit anyway).

In looking at the watch closed when it's off my wrist, I'm beginning to think the fault may actually lie in the diver's extension.

Question for those of you who have dealt with this issue before. When you close the clasp, should the interior brackets be flush with the interior of the clasp? Because mine juts out a bit over the area where the diver's extension is.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
After checking, when closed the inside of the clasp should be one smooth unit. It should not stick up at the diver extension end. I would guess that your diver extension is not clicking all the way down.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Fantastic, Time Bandit. If you check your inbox, you'll see I've sent you $500 RWI. Well done, man. Now on to the next challenge-- can anyone put together a good pictorial on how to fix that damn diver's extension?

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
You've got a good tutorial Sean, do you think you can fix it without setting the clasp on fire? :D

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Just in case, I'm going to be wearing my flame-retardant gloves while doing the mod. Which, admittedly, will make it slightly more difficult to operate needle-nose pliers and perform delicate work (as my flame-retardant gloves are really just oven mitts). But it's better than the alternative of burning my house down.