• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Navitimer Crystal Won't Go In!! HALP!!!

drhydro

23/3/06
Sent a bunch of crystals off to Chieftang for AR, and got em back last weekend. Beautiful! They all went back in jes' fine except for one, a Navitimer...

I can't get the damn thing back in! Need a fresh xtal gasket, it seems that with the pressure of the crystal off it has "grown" a bit and even with the greatest care (and I have some good crystal press tools) it won't pop into place. And now the gasket has deformed with my attempts to nudge it in....
question is, do you guys have a suggestion as to who might be the best source for a new gasket?

I asked Offshore about this, and he suggested that I might simply use crystal cement without a ring- sez he has trouble with them, too- but I think the clearance is a bit much. I've looked at some of the usual sources- cousins, borel, ofrei, a bunch of others and can't find gaskets this big. Also, none of the gaskets or assortments I've seen has cross-section dimensions listed. I have not found anything above 36mm.

And while I'm at it, I need a crystal gasket for an IWC Portuguese that I got as a "watch kit".

Here are the measurements:

Navitimer- 38.22 bezel ID, 37.48 crystal OD- side clearance 0.37mm
IWC- 38.46 bezel ID, 37.90 crystal OD- side clearance 0.28mm

Help! I promise I'll post pics as soon as I get this one installed.... because these chieftang AR jobs are absolutely beautiful!

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
JB had his crystal AR Coated by K2222. I do not remember if he sent the watch or just the crystal.. but maybe he can help cuz I know he got it back in correctly.

You should send him a pm.

bwhitesox

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/4/06
I answered you over at RWG that I had the same issue and had to order a new crystal and gasket from Angus as the gasket does not come alone.
I have asked him to send me two gaskets incase my watchmaker stuffs one up and you can have the second one if everything goes ok.