• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Narikaa 42mm PO Saphire Crystal Scratches?

jenkinson6a

Horology Curious
11/4/09
Hi, while waring my whatch it keeps aquiring scratches but i was under the understanding that saphire crystal was prity much unscratchable (not totally). I have posted pictures of most of them, hard to photo the light ones. Only one i know how i did it was the one that goes from the steel through the insert and onto the crystal, caught it on a wall. The rest just seem to appear from no where.
pic1t.jpg

pic2jq.jpg

pic3kf.jpg

pic4o.jpg

pic5si.jpg

pic6td.jpg

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
Did you challenge Darth Vader in a laser saber fight?

wachuko

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/6/10
That looks like a 3rd encounter with a grinder! Man!@!

robbnj

11/6/09
Are you sure it's not just the AR coating that is getting scratched through?
True sapphire is virtually scratchproof (harder than steel - #9 on Mohs scale - diamond is 10).
If it's really sapphire ('not sure if Narikka's PO's are), then my bet is on the AR (the quality of which can be very dicey with reps).

JC7

15/6/10
Can those pics really just be the AR?? it looks like pieces of the crystal are actually missing

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Looks like you may have accidentally brushed it up against a stucco wall (or something similar). Cement and stucco will definately scratch sapphire (I know from personal experience). As deep as they are, I'd be surprised if it's just the AR.

jenkinson6a

Horology Curious
11/4/09
Are you sure it's not just the AR coating that is getting scratched through?
True sapphire is virtually scratchproof (harder than steel - #9 on Mohs scale - diamond is 10).
If it's really sapphire ('not sure if Narikka's PO's are), then my bet is on the AR (the quality of which can be very dicey with reps).

Thanks for all the replys. The PO from narikaa are advertised as saphire.I just prosumed the AR was on the inside. I guess all the little surface scratches could be the AR but doubs the big annoying one in the middle is. If they are just all the AR seems pointless buying saphire crystals if this happens to the AR on top.

MadDogUK

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/9/09
This is ridiculous. The whole reason we have a forum like this is to post genuine problems like yours. Then numerous members take the piss by calling you an alcoholic. Rest assured that your not alone. I recently ordered my first BMW an stipulated that it came with scratch resistant paint. I woke up this morning to find we have similar issues....

bmwcrash.jpg

Note the small scratch just to the left of the badge... I didn't have the macro button switched on

The Doctor

30/9/09
PRetty rough uni bar that you work at mate.

Even a gen wouldnt survive something that nasty.

watchman1

Renowned Member
21/11/06
Wow. I guess we don't have to ask what watch you wear as a daily beater.

Time4Direct

Trusted Dealer (In Memoriam RIP)
Gold Patron
25/3/08
What on earth has this post got to do with sapphire scratching or not the hairline scratches are the least of the problem with that crystal.
Looks like you need a 'Hunter" with a nuclear bomb proof cover
Sapphire will scratch it's glass at the end of day it is scratch proof in the same way a bullet proof jacket is bullet proof.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
This is ridiculous. The whole reason we have a forum like this is to post genuine problems like yours. Then numerous members take the piss by calling you an alcoholic. Rest assured that your not alone. I recently ordered my first BMW an stipulated that it came with scratch resistant paint. I woke up this morning to find we have similar issues....

bmwcrash.jpg

Note the small scratch just to the left of the badge... I didn't have the macro button switched on

The windshield is made of sapphire?

JellyJoe

28/9/09
What should I say?
My dog was perfect years ago and now he is dead and he didnt even have a crystal.
All I did was to leave him tied to a pickup truck for a quick road side leak and he was gone with the bloody truck.
Now I have a spare flea collar and useless bone shaped biscuits supplies...

robbnj

11/6/09
Thanks for all the replys. The PO from narikaa are advertised as saphire.I just prosumed the AR was on the inside. I guess all the little surface scratches could be the AR but doubs the big annoying one in the middle is. If they are just all the AR seems pointless buying saphire crystals if this happens to the AR on top.

You're mixing two dissimilar ideas.
It's like saying the steel on your car is crap because you scratched the paint.
The crystal is farked, but if you get another watch w/true sapphire crystal you should just have the AR polished off. These hairline scratches WILL happen to a rep, just as they will happen to a gen crystal.

BTW - Use this as your daily watch when you get the next one :)

JellyJoe

28/9/09
Your walls must have the roughest coarse grained finish of the entire galaxy.
And for God's sake stop wearing that long sleeved chainmail at work.