• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Myota v. ETA Chinese or Swiss

signmeup

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
27/7/06
I have an Invicta YachtMaster. It looks like a Rolex except for the inscribed Invicta dial and rotor and it runs like a Rolex (reliable). So why aren't there more Invicta movements rather than this debate over ETA Chinese or genuine Swiss?
My Invicta keeps excellent time and it does not have a noisy rotor, a crown that wobbles when pulled out or a misaligned bezel etc.
It would seem to me as a newcomer to this debate that we would all be better served if the Invicta were to have the dial replaced and the rotor engraved with Rolex. I am so tired of hearing about the many problems of Chinese reps with this slightly out of whack or that not quite right and the the nit picking about these less than acceptable watches. When you get right down to it all I want is a rep that does what it is supposed to do and first and foremost is run well and reliably and keeps good time for a price that is less than the gens so that we less than wealthy can afford and enjoy them. So, where do I get a Rolex rep with a Japanese Myota movement and signmeup?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
signmeup said:
So, where do I get a Rolex rep with a Japanese Myota movement and signmeup?
No-one seems to be making then and selling them here. ETA movements are significantly better than Miyota movements and apparently not that much more expensive wholesale.

signmeup

Banned
27/7/06
Sorry it is Miyota not Myota. It is my understanding that Swiss ETA movements are not to be had but Asian ETA movements are available. I would bet that the Miyota movement is available in quantity. But who in Asia (China) would buy a Miyota movement and put it in their knockoff watch? I wonder if a Rolex dial would fit an Invicta?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
signmeup said:
But who in Asia (China) would buy a Miyota movement and put it in their knockoff watch? I wonder if a Rolex dial would fit an Invicta?
Miyota is Japanese, ETA is Swiss and Sea-Gull is Chinese.

ETA is better than Miyota. A lot better. ETA is used in Breitling, TAG Heuer, IWC, Panerai, etc., so why would anyone want something worse than that in their replica?

signmeup

Banned
27/7/06
My pont is that there are no genuine ETA movements in Asian reps. I am given to understand that the ETA movements in ALL of the reps offered by RWI dealers are Asian not Swiss and therefore NOT ETA. I have a Tissot with and ETA and an Invicta with a Miyota and two Asian watches. Guess which ones are the losers. Even the genuine ETA is only marginally better than the Miyota.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
signmeup said:
My pont is that there are no genuine ETA movements in Asian reps. I am given to understand that the ETA movements in ALL of the reps offered by RWI dealers are Asian not Swiss and therefore NOT ETA. I have a Tissot with and ETA and an Invicta with a Miyota and two Asian watches. Guess which ones are the losers. Even the genuine ETA is only marginally better than the Miyota.
Ok, you must be trolling. No genuine ETA movements in Asian reps? You must be new to the scene.

I have here a genuine ETA 7753, genuine ETA 2836 and genuine ETA 2824, all in replica watches.

Did you read Crumpdaddy's Asian ETA thread and misunderstand his question or something?

ETA, the Swiss company, like every other large manufacturer of anything sends a lot of work to China. Therefore ETA movements are made or assembled partly in China and partly in Switzerland.

Ok, I'm at a loss here. Someone else will have to take over so it doesn't sound like I'm the lone nutter. :D

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
Pugwash is right one the money..

you can have all the mioyta movements you will ever need,

here: http://www.ofrei.com/page_190.html

and, here is a comparison done between the miyota 8215 and the ETA 2824-2

http://www.17jewel.com/two.html

and, the conclusion of the comparison reads....

Conclusion - Both movements have a track record of accuracy, dependability, and longevity. They are employed by several low, medium and high end makes. The ETA 2824-2 in my opinion is the better of the two. It is Swiss made and has been in service since 1982. With 25 verses 21 jewels, higher beats per minute, omni-directional winding mechanisim, and hacking feature, the 2824-2 comes out ahead.

The Miyota is simply a cheaper movement - look at all the money you can save!

:D

Life is Good!
Klink

btw.. having been in the hobby for over five years, I find it very strange that my 'ETA' whether Chinese/Asian/Thai or "Swiss" all have given and continue to give me sweet swervice.. maybe I am missing the boat with the Miyota! With the Miyota, I can get fewer jewels, lower beats per minute, a one way winding mechanism instead of omni-directiona, and don't ever have to worry about a hacking feature!

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
if i can recall, dont some or most miyota movenments not have hack features?

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
signmeup said:

I ordered my first rep, a Cartier Seatimer. It has an ETA 2836-2 movement, thats what makes the reps not good, but great watches. To some degree the word rep is bit of a misnomer because the insides are genuine. If you look in the back of the 2006 wristwatch annual guess what you see...ETA, not Miyota... :) :)

MZ

Known Member
23/2/07
Miyota hard to regulate

Another point is that a miyota movement is very hard to regulate (in my opinion), a tiny change can mean minutes faster or slower.

The ETA movements are very easy to regulate. And you can get them within a couple of seconds plus or minus per day easily

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
signmeup said:

@signmeup

It's good to be suspecious, maybe not so good to be downright paranoid. There are indeed fake ETA movements to be had but there are topics here to educate you to spot those too!

If it has the eta hallmark, model number, and lot number around the balance wheel it is genuine (usually) there are some fake 2824/36 that even have the model number but the font is primitive and clearly not genuine.

Even if you get a fake or chinese 2824/36 it will be a better movement than anything else chinese or the miyota for that matter.

olivia

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/3/06
Depends on what is meant by "better"; a genuine Miyota will run just as long, probably longer, than an ETA 2836, without service. It will however be less accurate and does not hack. But it will be just as "dependable". Citizen and Seiko automatics are legendary for their long life and independence of service needs.
Now in a vintage rep, the miyota may be even more accurate in terms of beat rate.