• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My VDB Marina Militare

l3x

Horology Curious
19/12/08
After seeing some amazing vintage PAMs I decided to treat myself to one. I sent a PM to VDBrouke to find out how much one of his pieces cost.

He prompty replied and told me he was just about done with one ... and it should be ready the next day and will send pics and specs.

I felt like my daughter on Christmas Eve...I couldn't wait :D ...this was until he told me the price...I nearly fell out of my chair :eek:

It was very difficult for me to justifying the cost...but in the end I took a chance and I bought it.

The package arrived New Year's Eve. Absolutely great timing ... what a way to end the year.

After opening the package, I'm able to see, first hand, what a beauty she was. Looked even better in my hands than in the pics he sent.

• Beautiful chocolate dial. The details are just phenominal.

[/*:m:12izlawl]
  • The case was fantastic with just enough battle scars.

• Crown guard was huge. The lever felt very firm when opening and closing. Overall I was very impressed with it in comparison to others.

• The crown also pushed in and popped out nicely and aligned nicely with the case. However, turning the crown, in setting the time, felt a bit rough at some points during the rotation.

• The hands were nicely aged. But there was a gap between the hour and minute hand (see pics below). Not sure if this is a feature or a defect.

• The movement was a .. ooo la la ... sexy cortebert 616 with Rolex engrave bridge. It looked fantastic in the case.[/*:m:12izlawl]

The specs from VDB as to what was done:

6152/1 case modded 1:1
bigger bezel with concave plexi
cg pin modded vintage 1:1
crown reworked for casesize and stemsize
brevetatto display caseback vintage
cortebert/rolex cal 616 motor with rlx engrave bridge
vintage messing movtholder
vintage lugs springbars for strapsize

Unfortunately, this beauty was not perfect, even though I wished it was :(

I encountered some problems with the motor.

• After winding, it would just stop after some time. 20 minutes, an hour, 2 hours, it varied. Once it stops, after I lift up the crown guard lever, it would begin running again.

• The watch also gained 24 minutes in 24 hours. One minute an hour. I know vintage movements (on a good day) can gain 5 to 7 minutes but this is pushing it for me.

• I have not tested the power reserve yet...any ideas what I can expect with this?[/*:m:12izlawl]

If anyone can provide input to my problems I would really appreciate it.

Anyways...here are the pics:

mm_vdb.jpg

mmv_db2.jpg

mm_vdb4.jpg

mm_vdb17.jpg

mm_vdb9.jpg

mm_vdb11.jpg

mm_vdb18.jpg

mm_vdb3.jpg

I'd like to thank VDB for this amazing piece. Despite the problems, which I hope can be remedied, the watch is real piece of art. It's obvious he's very talented in doing what he does.

I can't wait to see what he puts out in 2009.

Thanks for reading and for any feedback/comments you may have.

~Lex

mepliskin

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/1/09
how much AND HOW DO YOU CONact him?
THANKS, MICHAEL

merlin699

18/8/07
really nice timepiece. wear it well.
i think the gap between the hands is ok, no defect.

l3x

Horology Curious
19/12/08
mepliskin said:
how much AND HOW DO YOU CONact him?
THANKS, MICHAEL

You can send a PM under user VDBrouke. He's very responsive to emails.

l3x

Horology Curious
19/12/08
merlin699 said:
really nice timepiece. wear it well.
i think the gap between the hands is ok, no defect.

Thanks Merlin. I was able to compare it to some hands on some other pieces and they too had gaps.