• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My ongoing search for a nice 'Moonwatch'...

Hazel

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/10/12
Hello everybody,

first of all, i really would like to appologize for the little excitement i caused by posting the supposed discovery of 'an almost perfect Moonwatch replica'. Well, i guess that i just got a little overenthusiastic by reading its description after having searched unsuccessfully for a nice 'Moonie' for months now... But isnt it really frustrating?! There are so many excellent replicas out there and if i wanted a nice Planet Ocean, for instance, i would be more than satisfied with those 5th or even 6th generation ones available.

I have already read through many of the great posts here and learned a lot from them, but unfortunately, i havent found the right information for me so far :(...

Therefore, that s what i am searching for:

• A classical Omega Speedmaster Professional 'Moonwatch' replica. Preferrably no special or anniversary edition except the 'Snoopy' :).

• I do not care at all whether it has a quartz, automatic or hand-wound movement as long as it is no junk.

• It also does not have to be swiss perfection, but it also should not look or feel like a toy. Everything from a decent quality to swiss perfection (;-)) would be just fine.

• The labeling should be rather discreet and correct (particularly tick marks of equal length would be nice) than irritating or faulty.

• Sub-dials should be arranged properly, at least a little bit recessed and of correct type (20-40-60@9, 3-6-9-12@6 and 10-20-30@3).

• The chronograph should be working completely (therefore, no hour-repetition please) and sweeping seconds would be a nice extra.

• The front glass should be scratch resistant and slightly domed, but if it is not, it should be at least replaceable.

• The back side can be solid stainless steel, but again, the labeling or engravement should be quite correct.

• The crown and pushers should have decent proportions.

• The strap is not so important for me, because i would buy me a nice leather strap anyway.

If anyone has seen something like that or can give me a hint, please post it here.

With best regards,

Hazel

PS.: If i should have made a great many spelling mistakes, then i am very sorry for that, but unfortunately, i am not a native speaker.

cwazy1

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/2/12
sounds like you want the venus hand wind moonwatch they're everywhere and any dealer can get you one.

WatchnScotch

Certified
10/12/10
It sounds like you are looking for a gen. No replica is going to be good enough from the way it sounds.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
It sounds like you are looking for a gen. No replica is going to be good enough from the way it sounds.

+1...... Save up your money and buy a gen....there was a really nice one on our forum for $4200.00 ... but if you look hard enough, they are out there for half of that ...

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Even the gen doesn't satisfy all those demands Hazel, the cystal is plastic, and scratches like crazy ;)

:lol:

Seriously though :)

Either the st19 hand wind replica or the quartz is the way to go if you want something as good as it gets.

The quartz has the benefit of having a nice domed crystal (or at least it did) and better subdials.
The st19 has slightly worse subdial layout and not a domed crystal, but it does have a nice displayback and is hand wind.

So the question is which do you want? :)

Edit:

Here is a good comparison of the st19 to gen:

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/my-own-moonwatch-115576

And here is an example of the quartz rep:

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/td-for-quartz-104015
http://www.rwg.cc/topic/104041-watchedens-speedmaster-moon/

....they are as good as it gets, both are very nice reps, don't be disappointed....but they are not the gen, and if you are a speedy lover then eventually pick up a gen. Nothing wrong with giving the rep a test run, easy sell on later if you find the right price on a speedy.

Hazel

Banned
1/10/12
Wow,

I had to check my browser history to make sure that i hadnt been redirected to www.how-to-buy-a-gen-watch-for-complete-idiots.info. And honestly, i dont know what s worse, replica dealers pretending to be experts on gen watches and trying to sell you a cheap replica or forum members pretending to be experts on replicas and encouraging you to buy an expensive gen watch...

Well, however, thank you very much, cwazy1 and drbollocko, for really trying to help me.

And yes, i had already discovered a lot of those ST-19-Speedmasters, but although their build quality is really nice and the movement is a true beauty, i would rather like to have a more correct front side than an appealing back side.

The watcheden watch shown in the rwg-thread on the other side is almost exactly what i am searching for!!! Equally sized tick marks and if possible, also a white 'omega' on the dial in addition and that would be the right one for me!

With best regards,

Hazel

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Wow,

I had to check my browser history to make sure that I hadn't been redirected to http://www.guy-with-6-posts-gets-his-back-up.info

Wind your neck in mate, the comments were valid. You pretty much have three options. Buy the Quartz, buy the Lemania or buy a gen. Given your list of 'demands' people were right in pointing you to buy a gen.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
sounds like you want the venus hand wind moonwatch they're everywhere and any dealer can get you one.

that won't do him, it has a faux lower subdial.
Only the quartz will come close as far as an accurate dial and working subdials go.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Wow,

I had to check my browser history to make sure that i hadnt been redirected to www.how-to-buy-a-gen-watch-for-complete-idiots.info. And honestly, i dont know what s worse, replica dealers pretending to be experts on gen watches and trying to sell you a cheap replica or forum members pretending to be experts on replicas and encouraging you to buy an expensive gen watch...

Not good spirit buddy.

You made a list with what you want from the watch and only the gen has them all. People were trying to help you, don't misinterpret what they said...

Best choice for me is the current speedy with st19 movement but if the subdials bother you much, get a quartz. However none of the current versions meets all your demands as you have already been told.

Only the quartz will come close as far as an accurate dial and working subdials go.

+1

WatchnScotch

Certified
10/12/10
The comments are what they are because we have all seen this many times. A newer member post a long post about specific gen like qualities their replica must have. We suggest certain reps that are as close as we can get. The person gets the replica and is pissed off because it isn't perfect.

None of us were trying to be rude, just realistic.

Hazel

Banned
1/10/12
Wow again,

i think i have to quote myself

'The watcheden watch shown in the rwg-thread on the other side is almost exactly what i am searching for!!! Equally sized tick marks and if possible, also a white 'omega' on the dial in addition and that would be the right one for me!'

and perhaps i should help you with understanding my list, too. So have a look at the rwg-pics and follow me carefully:

• An Omega Speedmaster Professional 'Moonwatch' replica. Preferrably no special or anniversary edition except the 'Snoopy' :).

> Watcheden replica: :)

• I do not care at all whether it has a quartz, automatic or hand-wound movement as long as it is no junk.

• It also does not have to be swiss perfection, but it also should not look or feel like a toy. Everything from a decent quality to swiss perfection (;-)) would be just fine.

• The labeling should be rather discreet and correct (particularly tick marks of equal length would be nice) than irritating or faulty.

> Watcheden replica: :), but only 'cause of the unnecessarily shortened tick marks at 3,6,9 and 12 partly :frusty:

• Sub-dials should be arranged properly, at least a little bit recessed and of correct type (20-40-60@9, 3-6-9-12@6 and 10-20-30@3).

• The chronograph should be working completely (therefore, no hour-repetition please) and sweeping seconds would be a nice extra.

Watcheden replica: :) (probably no sweeping seconds, but this would only has been 'a nice extra')

• The front glass should be scratch-resistant and slightly domed, but if it is not, it should be at least replaceable.

> Watcheden replica: :) (probably still no scratch resistant glass, but even the early gens werent scratch resistant as it was mentioned above and besides that no one has told me that it s not replaceable so far)

• The back side can be solid stainless steel, but again, the labeling or engravement should be as correct as possible.

> Watcheden replica: :) (well, here i was perhaps a little bit unprecise, i actually meant 'as correct as possible' within the context of decent replicas)

• The crown and pushers should have decent proportions.

> Watcheden watch: :)

• The strap is not so important for me, because i would buy me a nice leather-strap anyway.

> Watcheden watch: :)

So what!?

Hazel

Well, i just read your last post after having posted mine, but anyway...

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
You have received sufficient input from knowledgeable members.

I'm thinking that you should buy one of these reps and evaluate it for yourself.

Then if you're inclined, post a review.

Hazel

Banned
1/10/12
Okay, peace!

:shlug: :bbq: :cheers:

Hazel

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Just try it, for the price you can't go wrong, also quartz can be beaten to hell and back so it's likely the only reason to open it up will be to replace the battery in a couple of years.

http://www.watcheden.net/omega-speedmaster-working-chronograph-with-black-dial-i-18479-p-1.html

Also use gift voucher code WE204BBS at the top and get it for under $100. Ask for qc pics on the order to compare to above. Can't go too far wrong!

btw, all moonwatches are hesalite, they all scratch, not badly but it's part of their history.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
I think if you look again at the dial of the quartz you'll notice the subdial markers are not correct. The numbering is wrong.

Bomba

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/08
There are two watches that would sell by the boatload if they were repped well. This Moonie and the Tag Monaco.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
I bought both all 3 current versions of the moonie. I like the 21j the best because the dial and the case size are the most accurate of the 3.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I think if you look again at the dial of the quartz you'll notice the subdial markers are not correct. The numbering is wrong.

Shit yeah you're right, don't know how that happened? What did they do to it, it used to be 10, 20, 30
There are two watches that would sell by the boatload if they were repped well. This Moonie and the Tag Monaco.

+1

I bought both all 3 current versions of the moonie. I like the 21j the best because the dial and the case size are the most accurate of the 3.

I have the old 21j also, quite like that one aswell. I'm surprised they changed the subdial numbering of the quartz though...is there another one with the correct numbering about?

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Not unless you can find one of the older ones. I checked with several dealers and they all have the new version. If I could find a quartz one like the one shown in that RWG link, I'd be a happy man...