• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My new toy for future PAM builds arrived today...

marlin2284

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
1/2/12
First batch of 5, where not perfect good enough for now, as always I will be trying to make it better.

ETA4-1_zps6f4d4a4e.jpg

ETA3-2_zpsa349495c.jpg

ETA2-1_zps41193e91.jpg

ETA1-2_zps21570600.jpg

I opted to go with the numerical code variant so each movement can have it's own running number. Seems gen do the same on the newer watches(see below). For the older watches I'll use the 6497-2 engraving, just need to figure out what year they changed over to the numeric code.

eta-serial.jpg

ETA-Serial2_zpsd58d3a9b.jpg

This is the last entry for this thread on these movements, next I will move to customizing vintage movement bridges, I'll probobly start a thread no those later on...:cheers:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Congrats marlin

It really looks promissing!

ALE

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
This reflects SERIOUS commitment to the hobby!
Kudos!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rwolf

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/5/12
I think that the numerical code was introduced at the turn of the E-series and F-series .
In fact, in the pics you can see the model number with the serial number.

24bj13s.jpg

5ocidh.jpg

11tli6d.jpg

PreV havent the serial number. You can find only the generic model number 6497 (without the 2) with the ETA logo and the code of the year (Y3 = 1993)

54bmtx.jpg

qye69k.jpg

invisible1

Horology Curious
26/1/13
Do we know what these numbers represent?

Chronometer grade movements are serial numbered because that is a requirement of the certification authority. So that would probably explain the serial numbers.

The letters and numbers? Are they date codes for year and month of manufacture? Is it a batch number?

According to some rather inconclusive internet research, the first letter and number may denote location of manufacture or assembly.

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

marlin2284

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
1/2/12
Do we know what these numbers represent?

Chronometer grade movements are serial numbered because that is a requirement of the certification authority. So that would probably explain the serial numbers.

The letters and numbers? Are they date codes for year and month of manufacture? Is it a batch number?

According to some rather inconclusive internet research, the first letter and number may denote location of manufacture or assembly.

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

I second that, if anyone can contribute it would be greatly appreciated. I've searched and searched and found the same results as what you stated.

BTW here is what they look like on a mocked up movement that I am getting ready for one of my customers.
ETAStamp2_zps7a90be54.jpg

ETAStamp_zps121f9f1f.jpg

Londongeorge87

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
13/1/09
You are a genius!! This is ridiculous. Credit to the forums and look forward to my current builds from you.

And a 127 very soon too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk