• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My new SMP from Silix

Centurion1

Horology Curious
27/3/07
Yesterday I went by the post office to pick up my summer special package from Jay. An Omega SMP was my main purchase and I picked a JLC as my $ 20 extra.

I'm very satisfied with the ETA SMP. The waves on the dial seems to 'pop' and the engravings on the clasp seems straight. The overall quality of this watch is IMO outstanding and very 'gen-like'. The dial doesn't allign, that's a known problem on this watch but is an easy fix. The bracelets has screws instead on the correct pins. Anyways, here are some pictures.

cimg9368il6.jpg

cimg9372pe6.jpg

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
My favourite watch :)

Believable.

Classy & spory - for every occassion.

Bond. :)

pacs man

Known Member
22/4/07
Damn! Looks good! They've got it pretty much nailed don't they? Nice score.

Bearcat

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/10/06
Get that bezel aligned properly and you'll be all set. Nice!

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
pacs man said:
Damn! Looks good! They've got it pretty much nailed don't they? Nice score.

Bezel alignment (fixable)
HE valve @ 10 o' clock (wrong... correct is a 'bit' higher)
Screws in bracelet
'bit' short hands IMHO
maybe bad waves, hard to tell...differs
and the usual weak lume ;)

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
looks good but yeah if you want the He in the correct place you'd have to get the chrono. I have yet to see a rep with good lume, my closest is my 16613 so far but even with that one, there is much to be desired. You can relume the watches but I bet it is difficult. I like the style of the lume on this watch in particular. I'd probably consider buying another one if the He was correct.

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
amptor said:
looks good but yeah if you want the He in the correct place you'd have to get the chrono. I have yet to see a rep with good lume, my closest is my 16613 so far but even with that one, there is much to be desired. You can relume the watches but I bet it is difficult. I like the style of the lume on this watch in particular. I'd probably consider buying another one if the He was correct.

Gen dial is good option. Not expensive!

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Oh yes... I listed all the flaws only so you get annoyed and sell this watch to ME :p

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Looks very nice Cent! Enjoy your watch and the future Modding! :twisted: And now it begins.

Centurion1

Horology Curious
27/3/07
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm well aware of all the common flaws, but on the other hand, it doesn't bother me to much. I still think this watch is a excellent buy @ $ 175. The quality is awsome (so far).

Here's some more pictures.

my.php

my.php

And finally a picture of my two babies. More watches soon to come, this hobby is addictive like crack.

my.php

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I never get tired of looking at that one...It's a classic...good buy with the ETA. Enjoy. :D

scottyhammond

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/4/07
This is one of my favorite watches. I have both a "Bond" GMT and an SMP Black (now discontinued by Omega)

The bezel alignment is an easy fix. First rotate the bezel all around until you find a spot where the points line perfectly at the 12-3-6-9 position. Don't assume it is the one closest to the pearl - it wasn't on mine. Then heat up the insert a bit with a hair dryer to soften the glue. Easy on the heat. It doesn't take that much. Then gently nudge the insert until the pearl lines up at 12:00. Press down all around the insert so the glue takes hold in the new position.

In my opinion the most glaring tell on any SMP is the bracelet clasp. The etched logo is easy to spot from a distance. UPO's have a good, deep engraving. If someone had a deeply engraved bracelet for an SMP I would be all over it. :mrgreen:

njespo

29/3/06
i have had one for a few years now and it is definitely one of my faves.....wear it in good health my friend :)

LastDiplomat

28/6/07
piratedzeus said:
A gen dial alone costs as much as the rep.

Besides, the lume on the hands wouldn't match the dial so you'd have to replace those as well.
Then the misaligned pearl might start to distract, and the engraving on the bracelet not quite sharp
enough. Until finally, the misplaced HE valve sends you over the edge and you plop down the cash
for a genuine SMP and offer your rep in the "For Sale" forum where I happily purchase it.

See how this works?

:D

Nice watch, Centurion1.

steve12345

Banned
4/9/06
I like the screw better on sizing the bracelet even though it is not authentic.

Steve

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
LastDiplomat said:
piratedzeus said:
A gen dial alone costs as much as the rep.

Besides, the lume on the hands wouldn't match the dial so you'd have to replace those as well.
Then the misaligned pearl might start to distract, and the engraving on the bracelet not quite sharp
enough. Until finally, the misplaced HE valve sends you over the edge and you plop down the cash
for a genuine SMP and offer your rep in the "For Sale" forum where I happily purchase it.

See how this works?

:D

Nice watch, Centurion1.

I have had a omega smp rep and wanted to buy a gen dial for it but decided it was not worth it ( really bade case etc)... 2 auctions on ebay.com ended for like new gen dials around 40$.

It was just an idea ;)

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Plunked

I plunked down the dinero for the gen dial and too much other shtuf. :D

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
grats on the new aquisition! :D

dickenscider

Looking Around
1/10/07
Great looking watch Centurion! Congrats on your purchase! I've been looking at the same watch from Silix. One question though, when you look at the crystal from an extreme angle does it have the "coke bottle" effect? (i.e., is it a flat-bottomed domed crystal? The gen is not... just want to make sure this rep is the same)

Would you mind posting a picture?

Thanks