• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My new 056 Destro arrived!

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
I'm just looking closely at that CG. Does the gen curve downward at the edges. This is what mine would do if I filed it so it doesn't protrude over the edge of the case. Then I had a thought: I could probably machine the whole surface of the CG--skim the entire top a bit. That would keep the whole flat, but perhaps that ain't right. I can't tell from your picture of the gen, Hooligan, but it seems to be perfectly flat.

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
first, turn your CG around. see how the edges match with the case.

then sand the whole thing down until the surface is flat with the pin. make sure the corners of the CG are not over the case....thats ugly.

feel free to ask !

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
I was hoping, as you no doubt implied, that flipping the CG might make it perfectly located. Just did so. No luck. Davidsen obviously took very great care with his holes and ensured that they were exactly in the middle. Damn! I'll get the 'ol files out this weekend and report back with the result. I'm also going to file the face of the CG where it butts against the case because it isn't absolutely flat against the case at the outer extremeties, if you follwo what I'm saying. That will not doubt mean filing down the point where the CG lever contacts the crown to keep the measurements even. Looks to me like it shouldn't be too big a deal as long as I work slowly and keep testing.......

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
The top of the CG should be flat, just like all the A-F series PAMs. The curved Pre-V style CGs didn't show back up on the Historic line until G series and newer.

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
just be patient ...and go slow. you can make it perfect.

if you are in the near of Palo Alto south bay - CA, come by my place and i do it..... as you watch. then you can do it yourself.

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
H-U: thanks very much for the kind invitation but it's just too far a drive from Vancouver, Canada--though considering the sustained unseasonably low temperatures we have here, California sure do seem good! Armed with the info you and Hooligan and the others have provided, I'll be fine. I have an industrial bench grinder in the garage. What's to worry :wink:

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
Well, here's the result, and thanks for the great advice from you all. I'm not lock-titeing the screws in until I get some critical thoughts on how the CG modding went, in case you want me to start again. What are the shortcomings of my effort?
cg1.jpg
[/img]

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
Hmmmmm...... don't see the image. I'll try a different one
cg3.jpg

optimis9

25/8/07
frankt8242 said:
nielsen said:
So do I take a dremel to the underside of the CG to make it lie flat--because I do agree that it does hang out over the edge or is a set of hand files a better option? Also, can I file the visible part of the CG without it suddenly looking really ugly and filed?
I filed the front surface of my 036 to give it the proper curved configuration like the original, I used 150 grit emery cloth, and finished it with a green "Tuffy" scouring pad...One problem with "flipping" the CG is that the lever isn't located equally in the center of the CG, and you might not like the new orientation with the thicker edge on top...BTW...keep that "Tuffy" pad handy, it is exactly what you need to buff out small scratches in the case in the future...
IMG_5617.jpg
Frankt This may be out of place. But I really like your strap. Could you please tell me where to get it. Its thickness etc. Thanks :D

And nielsen nice watch.. good choice.. enjoy.. :D

bwhitesox

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/4/06
HA ha I was thinking the same thing about the strap as well...Very nice.
The CG looks much better now I think but the pin is still not quite right...should be flush and not recessed.

nearly there. :)

ssalxpanerai

Renowned Member
25/10/06
Here is the example I did on DVN CG of ss model. It is flat on both side. I flip to other side and file off and make curve on the top. Use the polish paste to make it shinny. I never done that on Titanium. I only know Titanium can be filed off similar to SS but to make it look brushed may need some extra process.

DSCN2153.jpg

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
optimis9 said:
frankt8242 said:
nielsen said:
So do I take a dremel to the underside of the CG to make it lie flat--because I do agree that it does hang out over the edge or is a set of hand files a better option? Also, can I file the visible part of the CG without it suddenly looking really ugly and filed?
I filed the front surface of my 036 to give it the proper curved configuration like the original, I used 150 grit emery cloth, and finished it with a green "Tuffy" scouring pad...One problem with "flipping" the CG is that the lever isn't located equally in the center of the CG, and you might not like the new orientation with the thicker edge on top...BTW...keep that "Tuffy" pad handy, it is exactly what you need to buff out small scratches in the case in the future...
IMG_5617.jpg
Frankt This may be out of place. But I really like your strap. Could you please tell me where to get it. Its thickness etc. Thanks :D

And nielsen nice watch.. good choice.. enjoy.. :D
The strap is by "Tootall", and is 6mm
thick, 24x24...And is as soft as a baby's ar$e..!!!! I highly recommend his work!!...Unfortunately, I prefer deployant clasps on my watches, and you can't hardly make one function on a 6mm strap, so I only have this one!! :roll: :roll: