• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Moonwatch rep now has domed plexi!

Rubi

Known Member
21/10/10
Hey Five,

did you glue the new glass in with GS Hypo?
Did you just put the glue on the rehault and put the glass on it or did you use any special tools (I'm considering doing the glass-exchange myself)?

Thanks!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Hi Rubi, for crystals you want a UV curing adhesive, not GS. Loctite make a good one.

Col.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Hey Five,

did you glue the new glass in with GS Hypo?
Did you just put the glue on the rehault and put the glass on it or did you use any special tools (I'm considering doing the glass-exchange myself)?

Thanks!

First off, Trailboss is absolutely correct. The UV-activated cement is way better and much easier to work with. Way better. However, I am frugal by nature and wanted to avoid the setup costs associated with the UV adhesive (and didn't trust sunlight to do the job). I figured that I wasn't going to do very many jobs like this, so why invest in the equipment? Therefore, I did indeed use GS hypo cement to install this crystal. However, this is the third watch crystal that I have used GS cement on and I haven't had any trouble out of them at all.

When you get the sapphire crystal and gasket out, you can see the spot inside the bezel where the crystal sits. That is where I applied the hypo cement.