• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Moonwatch rep now has domed plexi!

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
I can't count the number of times I have read that people don't like the nearly-flat sapphire on the Lemania/Seagull handwind version of the Speedmaster (I didn't either). However, I haven't seen many people replace it with a domed plexi. That is exactly what I have done here. Behold the awesome:

100_3013.jpg

100_3007.jpg

100_3019.jpg

dan_j

5/11/10
That's pretty sweet! I used to own one with hesalite crystal. It just gives the dial that warm texture that mineral or sapphire doesn't have...which I think is the best part of Speedmasters.

Daniel

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
That's pretty sweet! I used to own one with hesalite crystal. It just gives the dial that warm texture that mineral or sapphire doesn't have...which I think is the best part of Speedmasters.

Daniel

Thanks!

melswatch

I'm Pretty Popular
21/5/10
Holy cow - yea did it - congrats! How much did that cost you and where did you get the plexi and what size was it?

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Thanks for the nice comments guys, I appreciate them. I just love the way this looks now. The pictures don't really show how different it is.

Holy cow - yea did it - congrats! How much did that cost you and where did you get the plexi and what size was it?

Since you were such an awesome guy to deal with during our last transaction, I will send you a spare I ordered when you get your hand-wind version of the watch (for no charge). Being a good member should have it's perks!

The crystal was inexpensive and came from CousinsUK. Shipping does however cost several dollars to the US. Here is a picture:

100_3022.jpg

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Very nice mod. Really like it!

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
What a difference. Looks good with that domed crystal on it. I don't think anyone would mind more photos. :)

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Very nice job, 5?! It's the single best way of improving a Speedy rep.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Very nice job, 5?! It's the single best way of improving a Speedy rep.

No matter how much modding I do, it still won't look as good as your Speedmaster! Particularly with the new strap!

I will likely freeze the subdial at six, and I might put a solid caseback on it. That's about as good as you can do with these. When owning a Speedmaster rep, you pretty much have to accept defeat right from the beginning. I am just putting lipstick on a pig (as we say in Kentucky). I still like it though...

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Thanks, and you can always see donerix about that strap! :)

Eventually, you may be driven over the edge and go gen yourself; there's no Speedy super-rep in the pipeline, so there's no sense waiting! In the meantime, I think you've now got a rep that's credible at a reasonable distance.

I'll say it again: If I see flat glass on a Speedmaster Pro, I can call you out from six feet away, no matter what other mods you've done. Again, great work.

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
Great job 5ofC. Love the interact between you and LHOOQ....two people who share a common interest in a beautiful watch and know what improvements need doing and how to implement them.

Huge respect to both of you and if either of you wish to sell these on.........

Silly me - yours is a gen isn't it LHOOQ?

shirazi_r

Renowned Member
12/10/10
Mate, please do share a link as to which crystal it is you purchased; I'd love one for myself. :D

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Silly me - yours is a gen isn't it LHOOQ?
Yes, it's a 2006. Researching my Speedmaster purchase is what really got me into reps a few years back. It's disappointing that there haven't been any breakthroughs in all this time (I remember when there was a glimmer of hope after the PO Chrono came out), but I enjoy reading about mods that turn a fundamentally imperfect rep into a good-looking watch. (Another subtle mod I like: Fake black rehaut ring.)

On the one hand, I guess it's nice to have a gen of a watch that has never been repped properly. Thing is, I would really love to have a Speedy rep with correct dimensions. I'd love to build a franken for every special edition Speedmaster!

(Except "From the Earth to the Moon". That's an unsightly piece of crap...)

Rubi

Known Member
21/10/10
The perfect Speedy mod! Next thing to do is fixing the hand at 6 and only an expert will notice, that it's a rep! It's a wrap! Nice work!

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
LHOOQ - Painting the rehault does add a nice touch, and may be something I do at a later time. FXR Andy sort of pioneered this mod and I remember that he painted his, and that it looked rather nice. I can also hear the calling of a gen on this particular watch, as it is also the model that led me to reps in the beginning. I don't think I can hold out forever.

I have also received multiple requests for a link to the crystal. Here it is (LINK). You are looking for a 34.0mm Sternkreuz HW, as I posted a picture of previously. If the link doesn't work, go to WATCH PARTS>WATCH GLASSES>ACRYLIC GLASSES>ROUND DOMED GLASSES and you can find it there.

FXR Andy on RWG (blue) did all the homework on this one for us. You can read is writeup by finding any of his posts on RWG and clicking the link in his signature (I think). You need to remove the gasket and glue the new crystal in because the bezel insert is a smaller diameter the inner bezel diameter. A crystal that can be press fit is likely too big to fit inside the bezel insert. So, you might want to order some GS Hypo stuff with your crystal!