• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Latest Acquisition - Z Series WM9 Sub *** UPDATED PICS **

cschenone

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/8/06
Installed a used gen insert (note scratch at 3rd tic) and sanded crown guards. The bottom one needs a little work still :roll:
DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Next week "Noob" dial.

- Chris ;)

My Latest Acquisition:

Ok, so I was moderately skeptical regarding WM9’s “new†Z series sub. I read may post comparing him/her? To the likes of the so called perfect Swiss A+, Swiss Grade A, Grade A+A+A+ or what ever they claim. I was still intrigued, but in no way was going to spend the now $579.00 asking price. So back in April I posted a thread entitled “anyone tired of their WM9 submariner†on their web site. I received a few enquiries, but they were for the “special VIP addition†which from what I can tell is the “noob†along with the same FXXXX serial number. Then in late May, I was contacted by an owner of the new “Z†series with the new bezel design. He admitted that he was happy with the watch, but in the end was not a Submariner fan. We traded emails and photos and agreed on a price. I am not embarrassed or ashamed to tell you that I paid $370.00. This included PayPal fees and certified shipping from the UK.

My Impressions:

I am not a Rolex guru; I’ll save that title for the likes BK1234 and ByTor and the others whom I greatly respect. I am however, someone that has owned several Sub reps including VIPmariner gen one and two, TTK’s Noob and Andrew’s perfect sub circa 2005 which I believe to be TW Best. So with that said here we go.

Rehaut Depth: From what I can tell in comparing pictures of the gen, this is damn near spot on and was one of the major factors for my purpose. Every owner has their pet peeves’ and for me it is rehaut depth.
DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

The VIPs’ were too wocky and the Noob although better, was too shallow. My TW Best was better, but not good enough. There has been some speculation that the case is based on either a MBK or the TW Best. I believe it’s the latter. The bottom of the crown guards have the tell tell swoop just like my TW Best.

I believe the rehaut depth has been achieved as a result of positioning the movement further back. I have not opened the watch up yet to confirm. The crown tube is further back and is slightly protruding past the bottom of the case.
DSC_0019.jpg

Also, the date, although appears to be about the right magnification, seams to be further back in the Cyclops as if the movement is set further back from the dial. I will confirm this weekend when I open it up.
DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Dial: The dial sports the classic “flat S†as do all other WM9’s I have seen. Honestly I do not notice it unless I take a macro shot of it or look at it through a loop. In any event, it is disguisable when on the wrist. Dial print is crisp and clean.
DSC_0016.jpg

Crystal: The crystal is supposed to be 1:1 and interchangeable with the gen. It does not reflect the time indices like the TW do and the rehaut appears to have a Gen like thickness. As it is now, it has the overly emphasized etch crown at 6:00.

Bezel and Bezel Insert: The insert already sits below the bezel. Font on the printing looks a little fat. The pearl is………………well Iyou know.
DSC_0010.jpg

Crown Guards: Typical rep., however better than my others were before modifying.

Band: Incorrect solid mid link. I immediately swapped it with the band from my Noob.

In my opinion, I received and excellent watch for the same cost of a unmoded MBK.

Now for the fun stuff:

Proposed Changes:
• Swap the crystal with a Clark replacement I picked up on eBay. I bought it because it does not have the etched crown at the 6:00 position. My feeling is that the gen is all but unnoticeable. If some has my watch in their hand and they are trying to see the crown, at that point there are a million other discrepancies that scream rep. Besides, my budget can not afford a gen.
• Crown guards. That’s a given.
• Gen bezel insert that I picked up somewhere down the road.
• I have a “Noob†dial, but I am not sure if I am going to swap it. I don’t think the dial is that bad? Again, if someone is looking at it that closely, then they will be able to spot that it is a rep (my 2 cents anyway)

Any way I hope you appreciate the review. Only you can decide if the WM9 is right for you and I am in no way promoting their product. These are my personal feelings. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. With Father’s Day this Sunday, I hope to have some “me tim†and will try to carry out all the mods. We will see. I will update with pics when complete.

-Chris ;)

ckdexter82

9/5/07
Re: My Latest Acquisition - Z Series WM9 Sub

I have been curious about WM9's Black Submariner offering as well. Your efforts obtaining the rep, and then posting your review, demonstrates what a great resource the RWI forum is for replica collectors. :)

It would be Interesting to see a side-by-side comparison to the BKMariner, just to get a sense of what additional value (if any) one is receiving for the extra purchase price.

Thanks again.

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis

It still amazes me that WM9 who supposedly is making these himself per order charges so much and STILL cant get the crown gaurds right.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant

coop said:
It still amazes me that WM9 who supposedly is making these himself per order charges so much and STILL cant get the crown guards right.

Or the pearl/bezel, or the dial... :roll:

Not to burst anyones bubble but for $580 I'd expect a watch that would need very little modding left to do. For $350 you can get BK's sub... which is extremely close to Gen. :)

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06

guanaco said:
coop said:
It still amazes me that WM9 who supposedly is making these himself per order charges so much and STILL cant get the crown guards right.

Not to burst anyones bubble but for $580 I'd expect a watch that would need very little modding left to do. For $350 you can get BK's sub... which is extremely close to Gen. :)

the dial is fine, subs have had flat s's and l in 1000 in the past. i will give 400.00 for this watch with the rep insert and the solid center link bracelet on it without any hesitation at all.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

...well, being more expensive than BK´s or not....It looks awesome none the less =)
And I think it´s what matters, you being satisfied with your watch!

I like it alot! and it looks gorgeous, but I´m pretty much happy with my 16610LV... :mrgreen:
...someday I´ll get a black bezel Sub to go side by side with my Lunette Verde

Cheers,

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Spirit said:

...well, being more expensive than BK´s or not....It looks awesome none the less =)
Cheers,

Exactly, like I said I'm not here to burst anyone's bubble, but the noobs who might be reading are probably on lock and load mode ready to buy their first rep, it's just constructive criticism. :)

Though on second thought I did sound like an asshole, but don't get me wrong. :|

cschenone

2/8/06
guanaco said:
Spirit said:

Cheers,

Exactly, like I said I'm not here to burst anyone's bubble, but the noobs who might be reading are probably on lock and load mode ready to buy their first rep, it's just constructive criticism. :)

Though on second thought I did sound like an a**hole, but don't get me wrong. :|

No worries. I did not write this up for the noobs, but rather the long time members that have been following WM9. As I stated before, I was not going to spend $580+ for this watch. I figured for $370......what the heck I would give it a try.

Thats all. I will post more pics after the "Noob" dial is installed.

-Chris ;)

JohnnySac

10/9/06

guanaco said:
coop said:

Not to mention the endlinks are completely wrong as well!
I also agree with you-BK's offering of a submariner simply can't be beat and for way less.

cschenone

2/8/06

GoatDweller

The bracelet is from my TW best, not WM9's bracelet. I disagree with them being completely wrong. The issue at the moment is that I need some "fatter" spring bars. I have some, I just need to find them.

I agree the BK's sub is excellent value for the money, probably the best. The issue for me is the rehuat is not deep enough on the F- series sub. I was not trying to compare this to BK's offering.

I would very much appreciate if BKLM1234 would give his opinion to this watch.

-Chris ;)

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06

cschenone said:
GoatDweller

The bracelet is from my TW best, not WM9's bracelet. I disagree with them being completely wrong. The issue at the moment is that I need some "fatter" spring bars. I have some, I just need to find them.

I agree the BK's sub is excellent value for the money, probably the best. The issue for me is the rehuat is not deep enough on the F- series sub. I was not trying to compare this to BK's offering.

I would very much appreciate if BKLM1234 would give his opinion to this watch.

-Chris ;)

i was going to say, i didn't see anything wrong with the end links. you can mod a cn case sub until the cows come home but you cannot get the rehaut depth out of them. the case it tooooo thin. the rehaut is 2.0mm on a gen, 2.1mm on a tw best and 1.8mm on a cn. i just asked joe to fined me a tw best case or a watch master case for this watch for that very reason. this one has everything done to it that you can do to a cn case but it is too thin and you have to change it to fix it. it is all a matter of how far you want to go. the watch master sub also has bezel that is made and installs like a gen. you won't find that on a tw best or a cn.

JohnnySac

10/9/06
HK- I have owned 3 genuine submariners one being a Lunette-Verde and the first thing I can see right away to distinguish a rep or gen comment isn't the rehaut if it's close, it isn't the bezel or pearl...The SEL is a dead give away for anyone who has dealt with gens and/or has at one point or another owned a Genuine Rolex Submariner.

Specifically, the OP's bracelet doesn't fit the case as a Gen does, AND the SEL doesn't contour as it should per gen article.
I think the WM9's watch looks great, not withstanding the price point, but I don't see a 1:1 design.

Those LV pics you posted. At first glance they look superb. However the end links give it away that it is not a Gen.
I wasn't even looking at the crown guards or the blatant etching at 6 either. The end link doesn't wrap around the case as a Gen does at the 12 and Six 0 Clock positions. I'd definitely wear it, but if I can tell it's not Gen, others who "know" can tell too...

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
these are the most similar pictures i have at 3:30am. it is very late and i am tired so that probably explains why i am either totally over looking what you are talking about or i am misunderstanding you altogether. exactly what about these sel's can you see while these are on the wrist during normal interaction with another person during the coarse of the day? as far as i am concerned the sel's are the least of my worries with a cn case sub.