• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My journey into the dark side....(pic heavy)

maikols

5/10/18
6309 what iconic watch. Still on my wish list!
I'm looking for a 4205 for my gf. I have a fresh New nh15 and I spot a new case. Looking for a nice dial and hands. Seiko is my first passion

Inviato dal mio STF-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
6309 what iconic watch. Still on my wish list!
I'm looking for a 4205 for my gf. I have a fresh New nh15 and I spot a new case. Looking for a nice dial and hands. Seiko is my first passion

Inviato dal mio STF-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Stay away from those 4205's. They have indirect second hands and every single one I owned, restored, whatever, stuttered. I spent countless hours on those and could never get rid of the stutter. Finally, sold ALL my 4205 parts (3 full bins), new and used parts, 4 complete watches, and many other assorted parts on eBay. I will never do another 4205.

Seiko made a mid size diver, same size as the 4205 with a 7S26 movement...a million times better. Or, go for the 2205 high beat. Much harder to find, but a nice movement.

All these divers are mid size 7S26 or 2205.

maikols

5/10/18
Stay away from those 4205's. They have indirect second hands and every single one I owned, restored, whatever, stuttered. I spent countless hours on those and could never get rid of the stutter. Finally, sold ALL my 4205 parts (3 full bins), new and used parts, 4 complete watches, and many other assorted parts on eBay. I will never do another 4205.

Seiko made a mid size diver, same size as the 4205 with a 7S26 movement...a million times better. Or, go for the 2205 high beat. Much harder to find, but a nice movement.

All these divers are mid size 7S26 or 2205.

I have 2 2205 hi beat and works like a charms .
I'm looking for a 4205 case becouse i have a fresh new nh05 movment to add inside .

I like your collection .
Soon i will post mine .

good work man!

Reactions: Specter1000

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
While waiting for more parts, I decided that I don't like the markers on the raffles dial, and the hand lume isn't right. I shelled out some money for a Helenrou dial, they are 29mm, so it works in this case.,,,but the lume is too white.

So, I am going to relume the raffles dial. I have used Watchlume products, but they are very large grain lume and I really don't like that....bought some of their vintage lume, but I think I will try Noctilumina as well.

stay tuned....

Reactions: 369mafia

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
still waiting on parts...so I decided to pull the hands for a vintage relume...30 seconds in acetone is all it took to get the lume off....

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Also did some more practicing on re-lume. Here is an original 51-2273 Citizen diver from the 1970's I am restoring to re-sell (somewhat difficult watch to find in good condition)

riderocket

18/9/18
Steady hands you have my friend. That's good job. I'm waiting on your experiences with the hands. I have a set to relume too. Never had the courage to start that.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I bought some WatchLume vintage...but I heard a lot of good things about Noctilumina, so I bought some of their vintage color. Just waiting.

I have a ton of parts on order most from China...and with the current conditions, it is taking a long time, as to be expected....also waiting on my ZZF V2 Hulk!

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
It actually appears lighter in color in person. Back into the acetone it went. I have to say though, the Noctilumina is fantastic. Much better in my opinion than Watchlume....I should know, I own a few bottles of lume...

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
just curious, with all the effort in modifying the movement to remove the ghost date change position, have the correct beat rate, etc why use luminous lume as opposed to something that wont glow? after 60 years gen lume would have lost all of its luminous properties.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
ahhhh alright. just checked Noctilumina's website and turns out they have non-luminous pigments. was not aware of that. good to know. I see that they have two different textures too; which do you find better?

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
what do you hate about it?

I thought I would go for a slightly aged tritium look, thinking the AN103F would give a slight aged look...but in real life it looks more white than "aged". Figured I would try the AN99F...if it's too dark, I think I can add a little AN103.

I also bought some Watchlume vintage, which uses a pigment adder to the lume...I suppose I could try that as well. But the Noctilumina mixed and flowed really really nice, I really like it.

It only takes 15 minutes to lume the hands, so no big deal. The Raffles dial already has the "very aged" markers and print. Someday I want to relume the dial, but I need more practice before I tackle that.