• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Franken submariner 16610 build

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Hello guys thanks :)

gonna meat misiekped on sunday and all the work and service begins. Should take him around 2-3weeks. Have all the parts ready.

today I installed high quality swiss leather bracelet. I like the look of it easy swap to steal one if I want to. Wanted to try something different.

also installed gen spring bar pins. Those are so much more heavy duty than Chinese ones.

tell me what you guys think:

a3Xzs.jpg

a3Hfp.jpg

a33dh.jpg

a3m0D.jpg
​​​​​​

Reactions: Maron

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Congratulations. It’s already great but obviously mike will make it even better.

I like the strap. I’d like to try something like that, but maybe darker colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Hello alligoat do you know which year is my dial? Is there any source where to find out which year are the dials?

That dial is what I've heard referred to as a MK1- !987- on. Was used in the 16800, 168000 and the 16610. Looks like the tritium is turning a nice shade of yellow- great dial. Vintage Rolex Forum used to have a dial archive, but I can't find it anymore since they went to the tapatalk format.

Dino2018

Patron
Certified
14/3/18
alligoat thank you! I’ve been so busy these last few days I had no time to take a pic of the back side but I’ll do next week. I bought also the matching tritium hands and insert so im quite willing to see it Regards, Dino

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Here's an R serial 16610 with the MK1 dial- the hour markers are getting more yellow these days and the hands are still pretty white- this is common with the early tritium 16610s. This picture is 5 years old- guess I need to snap a new pic that shows the yellow tritium markers!

AKTime

Known Member
31/10/13
Congratulations. It’s already great but obviously mike will make it even better.

I like the strap. I’d like to try something like that, but maybe darker colour.

The Gunny Deep Red is similar but in a darker color and a very nice strap on a Sub.

lilmoogz

Known Member
15/11/18
Almost there ! :D

Nice bro!

Looks like you and I are following the same path. Buying a franken from grimlock then sending it off to mike for servicing and waterproofing!

These are keepers :D

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Nice bro!

Looks like you and I are following the same path. Buying a franken from grimlock then sending it off to mike for servicing and waterproofing!

These are keepers :D

Haha nice, yeah i meet with Mike in person. Really great guy.

Mine is done already just left it with Mike for another few days to have him check everything.

Got gen tritium hands 30+ years old to match the dial
Gen date disc with open 6&9
Gen Pallet fork, gen escape wheel, gen date wheel mounted, gen date jumper, gen hour wheel, gen reversing wheels.
Full movement service
And its waterproof to 10bars.

definitely a keeper ;p

now I'm looking at the gen bracelets.... lol

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
TADAM! And here it is ! Love it how it came out. Thanks Misiekped for amazing service.

Apl5U.jpg

Apw0D.jpg

Apgf8.jpg

ApSz3.jpg

ApYjb.jpg

Apd02.jpg

Apq5d.jpg

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17

Awesome build! New style straps with the flush endlinks have their place (on new watches)... If you want an amazing strap for that amzing build Bulang & Son (hodinkee is ok - B&S is worth every penny)

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM

Awesome build! New style straps with the flush endlinks have their place (on new watches)... If you want an amazing strap for that amzing build Bulang & Son (hodinkee is ok - B&S is worth every penny)

Those looks nice, Might try one later in darker color