• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My first franken project - 5th Gen Planet Ocean

puddleduck

Horology Curious
20/10/10
As the title says I received a 5th gen PO with swiss eta from Josh the other day with the intention of building my own franken. I've been checking the various boards for advice but no one seems to have actually done a mod on the 5th gen yet. Perhaps I just haven't been able to find the right threads :lol: Anyway, I decided to take the plunge and purchased a gen dial and hands from ofrei, which came in super quick time considering I'm in Australia and it came from the States. I then felt buyers remorse and splashed out for a gen crystal which is on its way as I type. I must put in a word of thanks to R2D4 for his comprehensive list that I used to get the gen part numbers. Thanks R2!

Anyway I digress, on to the build.....

Ready, steady, go!! Bracelet off ready to crack the case.

DSC_0554.jpg

Case opened to reveal the movement. I did see the 2824-2 and the ETA stamp. May have to check later and verify whether it is infact a Swiss and not an asian clone.

DSC_0555.jpg

Movement in its holder
DSC_0558.jpg

Removing the hands. I just used regular note pad paper to protect the dial when I removed the hands. Worked a treat.

DSC_0566.jpg

After I removed the dial from the movement. To remove the dial from the movement I followed the instructions written by RC42 for replacing dial, hands and crystal on a UPO and can be found here: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=24567

The procedure was exactly the same with no deviation whatsoever. The piece of rodico putty in the picture was to stop the balance wheel from moving.

DSC_0570.jpg

The two dials side by side. Gen is on the right. The two dials are actually so close its scary! Gen is brighter, better lume and of course the writing is bright white and not silver! But you have to look really hard to see differences, especially to the untrained eye. Okay scratch that, the dial is really very black and the lettering very bright white. The more I look at it on my wrist the more it stands out.

DSC_0573.jpg

Now for the hard part (for me anyway :D ) the hands. The only real problem I had here was the clearance between the hour and second hands. Its a very very fine clearance and I needed to scrutinise it through a loupe to be sure as I didn't want to scratch my brand new hands. In the end I needed to tap the back of the second hand and that sorted it out.

DSC_0577.jpg

All the hands set properly. The nerve wracking work is now done.

DSC_0578.jpg

Replaced movement in the case with freshly greased o-ring. Some more pictures of the finished product.

DSC_0581.jpg

DSC_0583.jpg

DSC_0584.jpg

All in all it wasn't an overly difficult mod and now that I have done this one I'll definitely do another. The gen dial is just out of this world and I can't describe the difference it makes. I can't wait for my gen crystal to get here as I'm sure that will improve it even further! I would also like to say thanks to my adoring wife who supplied me with necessary sustenance (single malt scotch :D ) during this time.

I'll update the pics when my gen crystal gets here in a week or so. So yes, the 5th Gen can be modded. Very easily in fact. Have fun guys.:cowboy:

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I am so stoked for you. That is great work there!
The new crystal will be amazing.

I'll take that over a Gen any day. :lol:

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Wow! Nice work. I will agree with Q5 on this, when you get that gen crystal you won't look back. In fact you won't look back forth or anything but down to the watch. Don't drive with this in the car. ;) I would love to see a Gen He valve on this too. :lol:

Congrats!

puddleduck

Horology Curious
20/10/10
Thanks guys. I can't stop looking at the damn thing now :lol: Its driving the wife crazy.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
That movement is so beautiful!

And those lug holes look to be in the right ace for a Gen bracelet. ;)

puddleduck

Horology Curious
20/10/10
Don't tempt me! :D I still haven't decided how far I'm going to go with this project yet.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Any issues with the dial feet attaching to the movement?

And do you notice if the date font now sits a bit to far to the left in the date window?

puddleduck

Horology Curious
20/10/10
The dial feet are shorter, but as with the UPO this doesn't matter since the retainer ring keeps the dial in place. Feet slot into the movement perfectly and ring clips onto the movement.

My date font is centred, no issues there.

Why? Thinking of getting one yourself? :lol:

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
:thinking: on getting one of these.

cgn1017

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/09
Was this model the 42mm or 45? I'm thinking of getting the 42mm and getting the same from ofrei, did all the research today... I feel like I have too many 45mm + watches :)

Sorry looked at another post it's 42. Congrats! I'm gonna get it and follow suit, hope you don't mind mate.... Maybe orange #s?

ck6459

11/9/10
Great project and guide, thx mate.
I was looking for a project with the 42mm PO as most are for 45mm.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Bump for a most awesome Franken PO build!!!!!!!!!

Mr.Scotty

Horology Curious
13/9/11
Many thx for the guide! If i wouldn't be such a #*+%# in modding watches, i would try it also.. ;)

By the way: Have you got the gen crystal already?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Every time I need a little inspiration to wear my FrPO I look at this thread and this pic......

DSC_0583.jpg

Danza1813

Tempus Fugit
Supporter
Certified
28/11/09
UK
I'm interested to know whether this is the Swiss eta.

I plan on doing a similar mod but have the Asian 2824 and I'm concerned the hands won't fit.

Any one with experience who can advise?