• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 6497 stopped, need help identifying part.

andyaudi42

11/11/07
So something in my swiss 6497 isn't working.

I know what the problem is but do not know the name of the piece, so i cannot order it.

IMG_0459-1.jpg

That is the rachet wheel, held in place by the ratchet screw. What is the thicker gear (with the spring inside) underneath it called. The spring has gone funny on me and is turning the 3rd wheel backwards, and because the escape wheel only turn one way it can't turn the balance wheel and the watch doesn't go tick.

Looking to order that thick gear (w/ spring inside) under the ratchet wheel to swap out the broken one. If anyone knows the name of it please let me know.

Thanks,
Andrew

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
The 'barrel' underneath the ratchet wheel houses the 'mainspring' though I'm not sure how the mainspring can go funny...'center wheel' also under the a part of the ratchet wheel...'click' and 'spring' are next to ratchet wheel.

andyaudi42

11/11/07
Its definately the barrel with the mainspring. When i wind the watch, the mainspring doesnt tighten. I feel that it has "unhooked" itself and that why it doesnt work.

Any tips on opening the barrel and checking it out?

Thanks

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
andyaudi42 said:
Its definately the barrel with the mainspring. When i wind the watch, the mainspring doesnt tighten. I feel that it has "unhooked" itself and that why it doesnt work.

Any tips on opening the barrel and checking it out?

Thanks

unfortunately this is where I get off the bus. No experience with mainsprings but if you're sure that's the problem maybe O'Frei or some other supplier would have a complete barrel with the spring already in it. Just replace, I don't know just a thought anyway.

opustitevkajenja

Known Member
17/3/08
This might be a long shot, but if you don't know the name of the part in question, perhaps you should pass on repairing the watch yourself and get a pro to install it for you.

andyaudi42

11/11/07
I've contacted the dealer, and he will repair/replace the movement.

Thanks for your help guys,
Andrew