• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 1680 so far

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
“ I may touch up the lume a little bit. At least add a bit more binder so the rest doesn’t crumble apart (you can see a chunk crumbled off on the 9 marker). That would be better than having lume flakes all over the movement but this has been my daily since I completed the build. Def one of my fav builds so far.”
> I tried some UV fly-tying glue, which works great b/c it doesn’t set for days unless I hit it with the UV light. But so far, the final texture is too smooth for a vintage look, just the opposite of your crumbles. Would be perfect for a modern lume job. I’m still testing different mixtures to get a more vintage texture. Just throwing it out there in case it helps.

“Next up will be a 16800 if I can ever find a dial that I love and can afford. “
> What’s case are you are using as a base? I’ve been looking for a good 16610. Silix has a bunch of inexpensive subs that might work, but I’m hesitant to try them all out - same thought as your quote below. I tried the blue $40 Silix special just to see. Turns out to be a great deal and good beater for price, but the case would require significant time to rework, especially the lug holes. The closest 16610/16800 I and my TDs found/can get is the JF $410.

“... of a hobby that just sucks money out of your bank account.”
> Yup, totally agreed. I thought I’d save money by building... wrong as usual. But I enjoy the journey and building anything, so that’s how I rationalize myself into more...

Base for the 16800 is a JF16610 with a SH3135. It’s already serviced and the only reason I haven’t started that build yet is bc the service has a 6month warranty on it. It should be a direct swap for a gen spec 16800 dial. The only things I need are lug holes drilled and the dial. I’ve already accepted the fact that there isn’t a datewheel with open 6s and 9s that looks good and can afford. WSO has one I ordered but I could already see that a few numbers were gonna sit high on the window so i didn’t even bother trying to install it. already started the return process.
I’m just gonna go with a gen 16610 datewheel and most likely go with a MQ 16800 dial. It’s not cheap for sure ($400+ shipping). It’s a great looking dial but I was really hoping for a Richview818 dial. His prices are much better considering the quality for both are very close . He does not stock 16800s so if I wanted one of his, it would be $800 as a custom order. ????

The problem with a lot of these “puffy lumed” dials is that most are applied markers. Basically, lume on a sticker and then applied to the dial. I’ve seen this with Vietnam dials, richview, and some others and hate it. Once the adhesive gets weaker via, matte spray paint, weather, people touching the dial with their hands or whatever, it just starts to fall apart. I hate them. Always prefer luming directly to the dial but getting that consistency and not messing up is not easy (for me anyway).

I guess it’s much easier and cheaper for them. Have one guy that’s amazing at lume work, come in for a day and lume all of stickers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bc1221

30/4/14
I think I’m pretty much done with my 1680. There’s a few things I could do but Im happy with the way it is.
The lume on 11-12-1 could use a little more work after it crumbled and I had to re-lume those but aside from that, I’m happy with it.

698a8493eef036306d22b4250d872226.jpg

87269b33e85779525979b11c3ffab454.jpg

c9460c8fe745033c5d0f74a94d414cfe.jpg

Last edited:

bc1221

30/4/14
Hell yea man. Send it over!
So the gen datewheels fit that window with a shaved dial?

I actually used the same overlay that came with it. After talking with yodog, he mentioned that the date window should be the same after the dial was shaved. After quite a few tries, I was able to get it close enough.

Some of the dates look “messy” but it looks like it’s a 40+ year old watch imo.

itgoes211

10/4/19
Cool on the date wheel, glad it works - makes sense. The build looks really good! Congrats! I like the strap as well. I haven’t seen that reverse-type style yet - I like it. And it goes well with the head. I don’t see the lume issue you mentioned at all - looks good in pics at least. Great job.