• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Most loved watch (design) features

Feefo

Vaselume (TM) Authorized Dealer
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Since the "Most hated watch (design) features" is garnering some passive-aggressive traits (chuckle), at great request I'm starting the more positive "loved" featured thread (which I'm sure will draw even more controversy - double chuckle).
There's a lot here to write actually, I wouldn't even know where to start. I'll start with the first couple of things from the top of my head.
I absolutely love sector dials. The intrinsic design simplicity speaks to me. Examples are countless, I'm thinking of PP but so many vintage Omegas come to mind.
And speaking of dials, I also love textured dials. "Natural" ones better than geometric ones. GS is an example, but I like old style linen dials as well as enamel dials, especially when they age and crack.

Reactions: KJ2020

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
Concur with sector dials - vintage omegas in my 'bunch' of watches.

But also - day & date. Quickset. My memory isn't so good. I rely on these lol. I don't know how many times I've looked at my watch to see what day/date it is to realise I'm not wearing one that has it!

I also am a sucker for good lume. Tritrium especially.

Reactions: Feefo and KJ2020

Frank_NRW

Supporter
Certified
24/2/22
France / Germany
I like watches that show what time it is.

Even better if it can dive, has an orange dial, crown at 6 or 4 o’clock and no lugs….

And cost less than a dinner for two in a one star Michelin restaurant.

Reactions: Feefo

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Date complication. I love a date complication. And a day-date. And a month-day-date.

I’m increasingly coming to the conclusion that all my no-date watches’ days are numbered. Which is ironic really, when you think about it.

Feefo

Vaselume (TM) Authorized Dealer
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I love how diversified all this is. It's like everyone was looking for his own perfect watch that doesn't really exist, also because it would be impossible to put all the things we love in one piece. Which in turn isn't what we really want as deep down we're all hoarders...

I like the gmt complication. I don't have one gmt watch. That's because there's no one that really speaks to me. I'd love seeing this complication reinterpreted in a new way. I do like what Farer does, admittedly. And the new Serica gmt. Still, I hope to see something completely new one day...

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
That´s simple! A nice fat crown guard. I absolutely need it, when I am riding torpedos in the mediterranean! Of course this is just a design feature for real men like me and not for those Rolex-Gucci-Sissies out there :whistle:

What was that in the sauna thread? Unten ablenken 😂

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I love how diversified all this is. It's like everyone was looking for his own perfect watch that doesn't really exist, also because it would be impossible to put all the things we love in one piece. Which in turn isn't what we really want as deep down we're all hoarders...

I like the gmt complication. I don't have one gmt watch. That's because there's no one that really speaks to me. I'd love seeing this complication reinterpreted in a new way. I do like what Farer does, admittedly. And the new Serica gmt. Still, I hope to see something completely new one day...
On the drawing board for me for a long time. Probably going to have to divide the work up - one artist to paint the background, then a watchmaker skilled with pad printing to do the texts. I have a couple dozen variations, these two dials are finalists.

z6ZZFP.jpg

z6ZDlJ.jpg

jDhGTW.jpg

jD3Uic.jpg

jD3Ayj.jpg

z6pUTW.jpg

z66RS8.jpg

z66vcQ.jpg

z6ADhv.jpg

z62GZW.jpg

z6hGSb.jpg

Last edited:

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
On the drawing board for me for a long time. Probably going to have to divide the work up - one artist to paint the background, then a watchmaker skilled with pad printing to do the texts. I have a couple dozen variations, these two dials are finalists.

z6ZZFP.jpg

z6ZDlJ.jpg

jDhGTW.jpg

jD3Uic.jpg

jD3Ayj.jpg

z6pUTW.jpg

z66RS8.jpg

z66vcQ.jpg

z6ADhv.jpg

z62GZW.jpg

z6hGSb.jpg
the first one 😍

Reactions: jkent83 and KJ2020

Haltec

Known Member
30/1/13
Although I don't have any Pam - there is two reasons for getting one.

1. CG aka Crownguard.
It's ineresting (simple and effective) solution for non automatic dive watches to be waterproof. Outatanding from engineering creativity standpoint.

2. Versatillity regarding straps.

Now non Pam:

- Rolex glidelock is also amazing feature.
(So as Pelagos or Omega divers extension clasp)

3. Like sharp clean cutted dial indices like Omega ones.
Daytona indices are well... meh. (On gen looks cheap and fake to me)

4. Loving monoblock cases like MM300 or Tag Super something or first Ploprof.

5. At least one side AR'ed Sapphire is a must.

6. Currently considering Lunar Pilot Bulova as addon to Xmas gifts to me.. but polised case version (which I like way more) doesn't have date.. (and it's also out of stock on jomashop for 310 usd)

So.. date functionallity - yes.

But.. please please let datewheel overlay be SAME colour as dial.

I higly do appreciate this new Meteorite dial trend.. but real meteorite only.

Especially for watches who have anykind of "going to space" herritage like Daytona does.
(Although not choosed by NASA on contest)

Just my 5 cents.

Grapeshot

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
10/3/18
Wales, UK
Detailed engraving on the movement. Years ago I owned a movement from a gold pocket watch that had been broken up for its gold case content. (In my view that was murder). :mad: The hand engraving on that movement was something to behold. We do occasionally see some fair representations of that on some rep watches, but I’d love to see more.
This not mine but great example:

Last edited:

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Working power reserve indicator as seen on IWC Portugieser 7 days, and IWC Big Pilots!

Not really seven days worth of power reserve on the rep, more like 72 hours, but still very impressive and a feature I absolutely adore,

crashworkz

Gentleman
Certified
14/11/22
EU
Detailed engraving on the movement. Years ago I owned a movement from a gold pocket watch that had been broken up for its gold case content. (In my view that was murder). :mad: The hand engraving on that movement was something to behold. We do occasionally see some fair representations of that on some rep watches, but I’d love to see more.
This not mine but great example:

You just missed this amazing custom laser engraved Panerai from @Natas78
zFk2Rc.jpg