• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Moonwatch project question

shokobo

Horology Curious
8/6/13
Hi,

I am a Noob here but have done a few projects in thepast.

I have a question regarding the current Omega Moonwatch replacement cases:

1) Are the Cal 321 and Cal 861 the same in size?
2) Will a Cal 861 movement fit into a Cal 321 case (145.0012)?

Thanks in advance,

Shokobo

wampa

Known Member
4/12/12
I think a cal.861 with fit in the earlier case and fit earlier dials. Omega put the cal.861 into the older cases and dial set up in the transitional Speedy models which were the cross over between the older cal.321 pre-moon and the cal.861 Speedy.

shokobo

Horology Curious
8/6/13
Hi Wampa,

Thank you for the information.

I know there are issues when trying to assemble 321 dials on a 861. This is because the dial legs are much thicker (Not sure about the location).

I would prefer buying a 145.0012 case to a 145.0022 case as I am trying to build a transitional 861 (68/69) Speedy. Also the 145.0012 are considerably cheaper and have the correct case back.

Best regards,

Shokobo

wampa

Known Member
4/12/12
Good luck with the project, do you have the bits already?

shokobo

Horology Curious
8/6/13
I have the 861 movement, a Gen 1171 bracelet and correct
Dial and hands on the way.

I will decide between the two possible cases
And start working.

I'll post photos here when the project is ready.

Cheers,

Shokobo

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Get a 145.0022 case and save your self from troubles and likely mods.

At least that's what i am doing...

shokobo

Horology Curious
8/6/13
Thanks for the advice - I will probably go in that direction to be sure The movement fits the case without modifications.
Cousins currently sell the version with the stainless steel bezel.
I will likely need to get the black bezel and probably a different case back.
Ofrei has the right case but it's more expensive and will require that I buy a different case back too.

Best regards,

shokobo

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Interesting project, keep us posted, as said the movement fits the older case so should be no problem, the dials are the interesting part. You could also contact Watchco and see what they have nos regarding bezels/casebacks, expensive but sometimes they have good deals.

I have a couple of speedy projects in progress, as does Pap. Slow going here, but will be worth it when done :)

BC8ZMhB.jpg

gegGjsl.jpg

fqy5R4A.jpg

Y5yneN0.jpg

shokobo

Horology Curious
8/6/13
Thank you for the information. I will go with the 145.0012 case as it has the right case back.

The on going projects photos are beautiful. I really like the silver dial speedy.
When was a model looking like this been originally released?

Shokobo

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Keep us posted on your project. The silver dials are from a rare 70's white gold speedy, the dials are easy enough to find, the original watch is very rare though.

shokobo

Horology Curious
8/6/13
Project complete

It took me some time to complete the Transitional 861 project and eventually I have decided to try doing it in the original way I intended to:

1) Base the project on a GEN Omega 861 movement from 1968 (27xxx) range.
2) Use a 321 Applied Logo dial intended for a 321 movement.
3) Use a 145.0012 Case (Driven by cost and the fact that it has the "right" case back - from the outside).

The Main issue with using the 321 Applied Logo dial is with the dial legs:

* The legs are located in the same place as 861 dials.
* The legs diameter is 0.2mm thicker than the 861 dial legs.
* The legs are 1mm longer than the 861 dial legs.

To make the 321 dial fit the 861 movement I needed to remove 0.1mm from the perimeter of the dial legs and then shorten each leg by 1mm.

I have enclosed the dial in a plastic sheet leting only the 2 legs through and started working on the legs with a nail polisher (The legs are made of copper). This method did not work well. I believe using an electric polishing tool may do it better.

I have used pliers and worked it strongly on each leg from various angles. This made the legs a bit thinner and longer, This needs to be done very carefully!!!

In the end after checking that they can fit the leg holes on the movement I cut the excess length from each leg (Now more than 1mm).

I think using dial stickers and special copper legs intended for use with the stickers would have worked well too (There are good options made by Bergeon and can be bought from Cousins).

The 2nd issue was with the 145.0012 case. Previously in the thread you can see I wasn't sure about the way the 861 movement with its movement ring will fit the case.

In reality it does fit, but the case pushers need to be shortened (Again by 1mm) from the inside of the case (Again, carefully, not to scratch the crystal) or replaced with 145.0022 pushers.

I think it is recommended to use 145.0022 case and not the 145.0012 case. The case back can be replaced for the Hippocampus bearing 145.0012 case back easily.

To complete the project and for a vintage look I have used a 1171 bracelet I bought originally for my SM300.

I like the end result, although I would like to replace the Crown and Pushers for ones intended for a 145.0022 case in order to make the watch look as accurate as possible.

9cxh.jpg

zdm9.jpg

And the other project I have been working on in parallel : A 1957 Reissue based on another GEN 861 movement.
This time a 145.0022 case with stainless steel bezel was used.

bv94.jpg

ds2r.jpg

Most items were bought from Cousins.
The 1957 Dial and Hands were bought from a seller on eBay.

Thanks for the previous member advice
and Cheers,

Shokobo

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Damn! Amazing projects!!! Especially the first one!!!

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Fantastic work and amazing results Shokobo, both look brilliant, excellent work on getting the mods done to the first, not easy to do and requires patience. The finished products are well worth it! I wasn't aware of the case pusher issue. Good info. Really tempted to a 321 applied logo version now :)

Which Tissot movement is that?

Tissot 873, pulled from a beat up 70's tissot chronograph, which were cheap on ebay a year or so ago (not any more unfortunately!) ...essentially same movement as the lemania/Omega 861

shokobo

Horology Curious
8/6/13
Thanks for the compliments, Mr. Pap & drbollocko.
It's a real compliment coming from experienced and knowledgeable Omega watch enthusiasts and Modders.

Working on the 68 Transitional Speedy was very enjoyable.

The 145.0012 pushers are longer compared to the 145.0022 pushers both inside and outside of the case.
If they are not shortened inside the case, the Start/Stop button will be able to start the chrono function but not to stop it, the movement button will not de-press all the way back. Like I said, shortening the pushers from the inside of the case by ~1mm solved this issue.

As for jsnowball81 question, I have used Genuine Omega 861 movements (1968 & 1971) for both projects, although I intend to use the Tissot 873 for my next Speedy project: The Mitsukoshi Speedy.

My Grail project is trying to move the 1957 ReIssue into a straight-lugged case.

Does any of you know if this is possible to obtain the "First Man On the Moon" Case somehow?
I didn't even manage to find the case code anywhere.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Projects like that make frankening an art!

The mods and result on first one are really amazing and i haven't seen them before...

Thanks again for sharing!

Do you have a pic of that "First Man On the Moon" Case?

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Not sure the straight lugged case on the newer reissue is available with cousinsuk/ofrei, I don't think omega offering parts/code numbers to the public for newer stuff like this. It is a very nice watch though.

20120809181057194_sns.jpg

http://www.luxurydiscovery.com/2012...edmaster-“first-omega-in-space”-luxury-watch/

You may be able to pick up a vintage straight lugged case but they are getting dearer and more sought after/rare.
Just on a side note, not sure if you saw it but Lhooq did a great modded CK2915 not so long ago, thread here, definitely worth a read
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/ck2915-speedmaster-one-125430

Keep us posted on your projects, thanks for sharing.

shokobo

Horology Curious
8/6/13
Hi,

I have seen LHOOQ's 2915 project and it is a really inspiring one.
I am Looking at doing something similar although I prefer the "Brand New" look (Unlike most vintage collectors). I always ask myself: "How did a brand new 2913 or 2915 would have looked like bought new in 1957?". The "First watch in space" fits this requirement (although it has sapphire crystal). A 1960s straight lugs case is almost impossible to find and I wouldn't like to ruin any newer straight lugs model - they deserve respect.

Many of the projects I have seen here are really awsome and I always prefer
Wearing a watch I've built myself to a watch bought "as is" from a dealer.

Thanks,

Shokobo

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
I realize this is a little short notice, but there is a straight lug case for sale on eBay right now (LINK). Unfortunately, the bidding ends in 9 hours. Good luck!

BTW, this is the first straight lug case I've seen for sale. Ever.