• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Modded ZF 15500 Blue Dial Review

Swatch

Looking Around
3/3/24
Thanks for the very interesting review.

I have three Royal Oaks from Legend and agree with everything you said about the man and his service. Even months after I accepted a 15500 from him, he gladly took it back to re-assess the rotor after I mentioned that the winding was not smooth.

On your three questions :

1. My friend has a gen 15500 and most of the hex screws are flushed except one which is a bit recessed. Same as my gen 15400, most flushed but two are recessed slightly. So, don't bother with yours as even the gen is not perfect.

2. A dent need to be filled up with material first and then sand down and brush to specifications. I has a bad dent on my AP repaired at APSC before and that's what they did. So, for a rep I will not be bother with a dent if it is minor.

3. Other than a gen full gold rotor which cost more than $500, you have no other choice. I looked around for a tungsten rotor but such is not available. Having said so, I am now more comfortable and satisfied with the 4302 SC after knowing from Legend that it is not meant to spin round and round like the Miyota but rather oscillates 52 degree to either side for winding. I typically keep a working watch for a week or two, wearing it in the day and having it in a winder (set to bi-directional) in the evening. And the APSF 15500 I have always keep its reserve for the entire 1-2 weeks.

On the dials. I have a refinished/enhanced ZF 15500 blue dial from Legend. And have the opportunity to compare this with my drinking buddy gen 15500 blue and I must say, the color and brilliance is close and there is zero possibility anyone can spot the difference with the watches on the wrist. Of course if you look close and know what to look for, there are differences in the tapisserie construct and the way lights are reflected. Again, without a gen by the side, only an expert can tell.
Can you please pass on his contact info? Would love to see if he could help me with one.