• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MBW 16610

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
bklm1234 said:
Jake,

I looked at George's MBW album. The MBW LV shown in the album has a badly shaped upper CG (the bottom looks like it's got chopped off a piece). 2 other members who recently bought confirmed it. I hope you are lukcy not to have gotten yours from that batch.

Instead of buying a MBW from George, I bought a TW Best black sub instead. It looks pretty much like the MBW except the CGs don't have the problem mentioned. The cyclop has a higher mag (like 3x) though. The crystal sits about .5 to .6mm above the bezel insert. It's because the bezel insert is just too thick. The insert is higher than the bezel. It should be very slightly recessed. After milling the insert (actually I'm gonna use a gen insert), I definitely will get the right crystal height. Having bought 5 subs previously (2 cheap ones from China, a new noob but already sold, a used LV noob, a Josh), I'm super happy with the TW Best. It's miles better than the others. Besides the deep rehaut (only slightly conical like the gen's), the bezel is not only good looking, but it's also tight and smooth. The case is polished very well. The bracelet is nothing to write home about. I put a very good spare from a cn sub on it and it's perfect fit. I have a noob dial to put in it and I will reshape the CGs.

-bm
haveblue said:
excellent post jake!
one point of note is that the gen insert sits too high on the rep bezel... the insert will either need to be shaved or the bezel milled to allow the proper crystal height.

i am looking for modders who have experience with this type of work. :D

Yes - using the TW best classic sub was my next choice. I got lucky and the MBW LV sub I have has huge chunky CG's with plenty of metal to make for the correct shape. And as you have correctly stated, you have to mill a Gen bezel insert to fit deep enough into the bezel to give the crystal the right height. The other thing that a TW Best and MBW share is the actual thickness of the bezel itself. If you look very closely and compare a Gen bezel to a rep bezel (CN style bezel) you will see that the angles that are cut underneath and to the edges of the bezel are not the same and the CN bezels are too thin. The TW Best or MBW bezel have all the right angles and the bezels are thicker, just like Gen.

I am not going to attempt the mod work and will be sending my watch with all the parts to RBJ for the mods. He has done a few watches for me in the past and he really has a good eye for the minor details that are necessary to make the watch "just right"

haveblue send it to RBJ - you won't be dissapointed.

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
Ok, I will do some searching for George(the real one), but what is with the TW watches? Where can I see them?

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
coop said:
Ok, I will do some searching for George(the real one), but what is with the TW watches? Where can I see them?

coop - TW refers to the fact that the case was made in Taiwan. From what I can tell the two main places reps come from are Taiwan and China. From these two different country's come watches with different traits. The TW watches (subs at least) tend to have a deeper rehaut, thicker bezel, thicker case, Gen style bezel insert, different click mechanism for bezel, weaker cyclops, different bracelet, different crown guard shape and the gold is a little thicker and darker in color (TT) then the CN counter parts. The TW watches use different dials, the stainless tends to be a little more silver in color and often the best rep is a blend of these two watches.

You can see a TW style watch on George's site right next to a CN style watch. It is also worth noting that there are watches out there that are refered to as "TW Best" or "CN Best".

Dealers like Eddie Lee and River are known for being able to get TW watches. Most dealers will stick with thier supplier and try and steer you towards the watches they sell, but as you get to know some dealers on a more friendly basis, most will get you what you want - if you ask.

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
I did a search for MBW AP Offshore, but all that turns up is this thread. :?
How is it that some members find him so easily, and others cant find him at all? When I first join ths forum I spent weeks looking for MBW but all I got was "the truth shall reveal itself" and "search and all will become clear" answers from everyone. So I just gave up and started to buy from dealers that actually exist.

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
coop said:
I did a search for MBW AP Offshore, but all that turns up is this thread. :?
How is it that some members find him so easily, and others cant find him at all? When I first join ths forum I spent weeks looking for MBW but all I got was "the truth shall reveal itself" and "search and all will become clear" answers from everyone. So I just gave up and started to buy from dealers that actually exist.

OK coop I can't make it any easier -George does not hang out on this board
Go here:
http://www.replicacollector.com/members/index.php?showtopic=27845&hl=ap+offshore

The rest is up to you...

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
Thanks Jake48. I have not been to that board before.

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
Truth is there is no more real TW Best Sub anymore. All the old Taiwan factory had been closed and relocated to China years ago. There are some China made psuedo TW Best carried by the dealers but none of them rivals the old TW Best Sub casework. The main merit of the TW Best case is the rehaut. That is something you cannot mod. The CN Subs had it all wrong. Some have shallow rehaut. Some have it too deep and slender.

If you want the real TW Best Sub, you have to find it and pry it from the long time rep. collectors...hahaha.

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
tutima said:
Truth is there is no more real TW Best Sub anymore. All the old Taiwan factory had been closed and relocated to China years ago. There are some China made psuedo TW Best carried by the dealers but none of them rivals the old TW Best Sub casework. The main merit of the TW Best case is the rehaut. That is something you cannot mod. The CN Subs had it all wrong. Some have shallow rehaut. Some have it too deep and slender.

If you want the real TW Best Sub, you have to find it and pry it from the long time rep. collectors...hahaha.

tutima - Sounds about right to me. The last TW best I bought from a dealer was about 2yrs ago, but then again, I never really ask were a watch comes from as long as it is what I asked for. One thing for sure - I only believe 10% of what I read and only 50% of what I see on the net.

As far as "ALL" the Taiwan watch factories being closed and moved to CN - I woudn't bet on that!

You are exactly right about finding a TW best, espicially the old sub case with the holes in the lugs - they are not made anymore and you have to find someone who is willing to part with it. I am not so sure about the modern subs though. I believe you can still get a modern sub that was produced in TW. At least that is what my sources are saying...

D

d4m.test

You don't have to pry one out of a collector's hand. Watchmaster and George have what may be TW Best or a decendent of it. The important thing is it has the qualities mentioned. According to Joe, Watchmaster's is a true TW Best. It's $440 though and I can't get Watchmaster Kenzo to reply me.

-bm

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
free ticket to george with mbw..

first two to apply...

lol

K

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
Klink said:
free ticket to george with mbw..

first two to apply...

lol

K
Aw, c'mon klink. The guy had 185 posts (not that it I am a post counter by any means) over here at RWI. Besides, he will still have to pass George's test...
LOL

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
If your refering to me, I apologize for seeming uninformed. I dont have the time to frequent every board and look through god knows how many posts. He was easy to find at the other board, so why there is so much to do over letting people know where is I dont understand. I am not a first time rep buyer, josh, and silix, and king know me, ruby will soon. The mystery that surrounds george is facinating. I'm just wondering if it all that it seems. If it is, and I "pass his tests" (spelling, math?) I will buy from him. If not, I wont. Kinda like TTK, I have nothing against him, and might but from him in the future, but getting no reply just tells me he does not want my business. It is funny how looking for george was like trying to find atlantis, lots of vauge look heres, but nothing solid.
Thanks again though Jake. I hope this post does not seem rude to anyone, wasnt supossed to be. :)

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
coop said:
If your refering to me, I apologize for seeming uninformed. I dont have the time to frequent every board and look through god knows how many posts. He was easy to find at the other board, so why there is so much to do over letting people know where is I dont understand. I am not a first time rep buyer, josh, and silix, and king know me, ruby will soon. The mystery that surrounds george is facinating. I'm just wondering if it all that it seems. If it is, and I "pass his tests" (spelling, math?) I will buy from him. If not, I wont. Kinda like TTK, I have nothing against him, and might but from him in the future, but getting no reply just tells me he does not want my business. It is funny how looking for george was like trying to find atlantis, lots of vauge look heres, but nothing solid.
Thanks again though Jake. I hope this post does not seem rude to anyone, wasnt supossed to be. :)

Don't sweat it coop - I find it fascinating too. In reality the "cloud of secrecy" is kinda funny to me. Some think there are spys among us, but quite honestly anyone who spends a little time on the boards can figure out pretty easily who the main players are. The only "test" you will have to pass is wether or not George trusts you. That will be in how you approach him. Keep in mind he really is just another guy who likes and collects reps - he is NOT a dealer. Patience will be your best ally...

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
cmon..

whatever george does or did anywhere else.. he has asked

that contact to him be very limited...

without assistance he can be found, easy for some, impossible for

others...

the invite to share is open, so no many try find are look or want enought

lol imo...

beside, smart guys can also use pm...

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
George only talks to people he wants to talk to.

All you can do is to send him a PM and wait....Hopefully you get a reply.

Just don't be surprised and get frustrated if you don't.