• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MAKING REP AP WATCHES LOOK GENUINE

mike1967

Getting To Know The Place
29/3/24
When I bought a rep AP I noticed after going into a AD Storefront that my repdoesbt have the same sparkle and shine as the genuine. They spend many hours perfecting that shine. The whole idea of a rep watch is for it NOT to look like a rep watch. I spent 18 years in metal finishing business and I figured out how to get my AP reps absolutely perfect and indistinguishable from genuine to the naked eye. Check out the shine I've accomplished without compromising the satin finish! Huge difference. Tell me what you think. I do t have before pics, but if you own a rep AP you'll spot the difference.

eBoy

⚜️ RWI NMA Chief Bracelet Link Remover ⛓️‍💥🔗🪛🔧
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
A place of darkness and light a.k.a. EU
Well, they look good and everything...
But tbh, in my opinion, stuff like that requires side-by-side comparative images, otherwise it's pointless because lighting, angle, camera quality etc etc etc etc etc can throw so many things into the mix that it's hard to really make out definite differences...

At least for the untrained eyes, like mine.

I look at your pics and wouldn't really be able to tell any differences to the best snap shots with ideal lighting, taken with with a S23 Ultra of my completely stock AP ZF. 😆

Maybe for the modding Pros it's different... I don't know...

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
49°50′34.8″N 9°54′07.4″E
You might survive a photo check, which I doubt since I saw something better. I can surely bust you with a calliper on hand. But then I am not saying your metalwork is bad, nothing like that. Apart from the case and bracelet, the dial, the hands, the crown etc, there are quite a lot of things to distinguish a rep from gen.

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
You might survive a photo check, which I doubt since I saw something better. I can surely bust you with a calliper on hand. But then I am not saying your metalwork is bad, nothing like that. Apart from the case and bracelet, the dial, the hands, the crown etc, there are quite a lot of things to distinguish a rep from gen.

Good point. But I think he singles out the metalwork and doesn't necessarily means the entire rep being transformed to gen just through the right metalwork.

It's possible that looking at it live makes a difference in terms of the metalwork being gen-like, but on a photo without a side-by-side reference next to it, I just don't think it's that obvious...

But yeah, you're of course absolutely right: Without a lot more modifications, gen-like metalwork is not nearly enough to fool the experts. 😉

mike1967

29/3/24
When you are wearing a rep watch it needs to look genuine no one is going to take off my wrist and instpect with a high powered microscope, my point was to make it "appear" genuine. Which it does now.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
49°50′34.8″N 9°54′07.4″E
Good point. But I think he singles out the metalwork and doesn't necessarily means the entire rep being transformed to gen just through the right metalwork.

It's possible that looking at it live makes a difference in terms of the metalwork being gen-like, but on a photo without a side-by-side reference next to it, I just don't think it's that obvious...

But yeah, you're of course absolutely right: Without a lot more modifications, gen-like metalwork is not nearly enough to fool the experts. 😉
From the photo, he did a good metalwork, no doubt. But then in real, this can be busted by a calliper - he also has to know the right diameters of different metal parts, thicknesses etc to make this work.

mike1967

29/3/24

I'm not trying to fool expert by bringing into a watch shop. I said when this watch is on it NOW sparkles like a genuine.
Here , tell me which one is real and which is genuine, without magnification

Well, they look good and everything...
But tbh, in my opinion, stuff like that requires side-by-side comparative images, otherwise it's pointless because lighting, angle, camera quality etc etc etc etc etc can throw so many things into the mix that it's hard to really make out definite differences...

At least for the untrained eyes, like mine.

I look at your pics and wouldn't really be able to tell any differences to the best snap shots with ideal lighting, taken with with a S23 Ultra of my completely stock AP ZF. 😆

Maybe for the modding Pros it's different... I don't know...
It's a drastic difference. I'm not selling a service, I'm telling you when you get from manufacturer they miss a couple steps. I was in a AD store and put mine up to a genuine it's night and day until I finished, now it sparkles like a gen AP should even though it's satin finish, it should hold an elegant gleam, i got it spot on.

Reactions: jonathanw

Endez

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
21/12/13
In pics unfortunately it doesn’t do justice.

I received my first stock APSF (15400) last week, and to be honest on pics the metals looks like gen. Even when you wear it.
When you own, owned, or are used to gen APs, what makes the big differences are the finishings when you have it on hands. Rep APSF with gen dial on wrist will fool even people used to AP, but as soon as you give it to them they will feel something is wrong. In mine per exemple, the sharpness of the bracelet (on the below and above) as well as where the bracelet meet the case (exterior) you feel this sharpness. But you won’t see it when it is on wrist

Reactions: mike1967

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
I was in a AD store and put mine up to a genuine

Uh Oh Omg GIF by ESPN

Just so you know: I wouldn't mention that again...

You can actually get banned from RWI for it:

This comes up every so often.

As the gentlemen above stated, we don't want to hear about this and it is even a ban-eable offense should you admit to it.

It is disrespectful and brings unnecessary risk and attention to this already difficult enough hobby.

See the Constitution of RWI:

Mjh2k4

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
31/7/24
Southeast England
I’m kinda just waiting for @legend to wade in here.

It’s a forum so screw it:

My two cents are that this is a hobby meant to be fun. For me, the never ending quest to find interesting reps and see the ingenuity from these factories is what makes it great. Not some bullshit idea that anyone cares what’s on your wrist or how a watch compares to the storefront watches on New Bond Street. The variance in rep versions is just fun. I have gens, some are great. But I find them a bit boring. Consider it a crazy ass Italian car versus a perfect (boring) Porsche sort of deal.

Last edited:

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
I get what you meant by the shine is much better on the gen at the store-front. And well done in getting your reps shine like that. Most important is what you think and not others.

But I can assure you in a year and two, the shine will wears and all looks similar. And this is based on experiences owning both rep and gen.

Reaps

Learning something new everyday....
25/9/22
I think it's well known that rep AP is close but not there and it's why rebrushing and professional polishing is one of the must have mods on the AP models.

I mean this isn't a surprise. Gen AP bracelet takes many hours to finish and you think a Chinese replica spends the same effort for 1/100th the price?

You can check the AP section. There's lots of great work done there.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The surface finish of the watch is merely one aspect and honestly, more evident between the gen and the rep when both watches are new. When used, you can find gen APs in varying conditions, and many look worse than brand new reps. Properly finishing off any rep APs alone does not make it look more legit. From the pics @mike1967 posted, I can still immediately tell they are reps, but clean and polished reps. But still reps at first glance. I agree with what @MaximillianGT said, that when it comes to AP reps, there is a lot more than just the finish. Often the dial itself contains a host of tells, and same for the case/bezel geometry, hands and datewheel. If one wants to make their reps look a certain way, it is definitely their right. But brushing and polishing a rep AP alone does not make it look more legit IMHO. It makes it can make the wearer feel better about it. Modding a watch needs to be at a holistic level, and the first thing anyone looks at for AP (and other luxury brand) watches is the dial. The dial has to be right, and the finish of the watch is part of the works needed, but not the whole shebang, to bring the rep up to the next level.

And please don't wear your reps into the AD @mike1967 its not a practice tolerated here. Or at least don't post about it. No amount of finishing the watch will turn it gen, or make it look legit without anything else done. You get watches which look like what they are: well-finished and new looking replica APs. In the post you made asking which is gen, the grey 15510 (first pic) is gen. And the tells aren't because of the case or bracelet finish. The other two are obviously rep without taking into consideration the case and bracelet at all.

I will just tag 2 more people here to liven up the thread a bit
@Mjh2k4 thank you for the mention, but you will have a PM incoming for saying that Porsches are boring. We need to have a chat over coffee you and I. :LOL:
And of course, @QueTip , he who knows his APs.

Last edited:

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I’m selling the room spray AP is using at the boutique in case anyone wants to make their rep smell the same as a gen does when it’s fresh at the boutique. Anyone keen?