• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MAJOR Ploprof Issue!!

sfa437

Medium Speed - Some Drag
Patron
Certified
29/7/08
Long Island NY
Well I'm now acquainted with 8 guys who have the Ploprof (Swiss and Clone) whose crystals have started delaminating.

I will reiterate that it is NOT worth the chance getting this watch wet unless you are comfortable enough with popping the crystal, either separating the existing crystal or sourcing a new one and rebonding them & pressing it back in.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Sfa, do you have some dimensions on this crystal? I will forward it to Takashi and work with him to see if this can be made available. I can't think of a better way to get Taka some AR business. ;)

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
Sfa, do you have some dimensions on this crystal? I will forward it to Takashi and work with him to see if this can be made available. I can't think of a better way to get Taka some AR business. ;)

I believe 29mm x 4.5mm. SFA can correct me.

docdoowop

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/5/06
I see a solution in the horizon and a great opportunity for Taka to perform his AR magic on this new model...

nothing to despair about, after all...

SFA, after a crystal replacement that is AR'd, you will have a better Proplof in the end.

jiddy

Renowned Member
15/4/10
SFA, after a crystal replacement that is AR'd, you will have a better Proplof in the end.
Indeed, but it would be nice if the factories wouldnt cut corners like this without informing that its a 2-1 crystal work they done.
Lowering the price by the equal amount of a new crystal would be nice but will probably never happen.

Lets just see when they churn out the V2 what new surprises they have in store!
Clay case with water-soluble spraypaint? :thinking:

sfa437

Medium Speed - Some Drag
Patron
Certified
29/7/08
Long Island NY
The crystal dimensions are 28.9mm x 4.5mm, flat & round.

Heck I'd be happier than a pig in shlt just to have a one piece mineral one :lol:

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
Thanks SFA for letting us know and I am glad I have seen this thread as I was about to buy one. This God damn watch even as replica looks so freaking awesome!

sfa437

Medium Speed - Some Drag
Patron
Certified
29/7/08
Long Island NY
Sam I am working on getting replacement crystals done- don't let this one issue keep you from getting one hell of a watch!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Nothing wrong with a laminated crystal, Seiko do it all the time. That's what a Hardlex crystal is.. In fact there are some advantages namely that you get the scratch resistance of sapphire and the shatter resistance of mineral glass. It does however become a huge problem when some fool uses a crappy cheap glue to join them. My guess is they found it easier/cheaper to laminate a pair of crystals than to have thick ones specially made for this rep.

Guys, I'd consider having the new ones made a little bigger, tossing that useless plastic sealing ring away and gluing the sucker in there. That way it ain't ever gunna leak. If the sealing ring was doing what it's supposed to the water would never have got to the join in the first place. Anyone run one of these thru a pressure tester yet? I bet there would be massive crystal leaks.

Col.

sfa437

Medium Speed - Some Drag
Patron
Certified
29/7/08
Long Island NY
TB-

Had mine pressure tested the day I got it. My smith is an ANCIENT Jewish dude- looks like he helped lay the cornerstone for the Temple. He has a pressure tester that looks like a bathysphere made for hamsters (very cool Steampunk looking thing) and mine passed to 10 ATM. The way the case is made the crystal sits down into the case a good ways and it has a good thick gasket around the mating surfaces.

I'll still be gluing mine in though :D

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
Sam I am working on getting replacement crystals done- don't let this one issue keep you from getting one hell of a watch!

I'm jumping over this watch and probably getting a PAM instead, they are a lot prettier. After these couple of issues all I can say is meh. I'm wondering if they are going to do another PO still.. I'm having a hard time getting the pins out of my midlinks still probably going to end up with a bunch of different sized tools trying to do it when I'm done but at least I haven't scuffed the watch.

sfa437

Medium Speed - Some Drag
Patron
Certified
29/7/08
Long Island NY
Donerix' Ploprof crystal just took a crap- that brings us to 13 guys with delaminating crystals.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
wonder how many proplofs they sell already, must be in the hundreds!

sfa437

Medium Speed - Some Drag
Patron
Certified
29/7/08
Long Island NY
This is going to be a HUGE headache for the dealers. Between crystals (15 as of today) and movement issues I think they're going to have a LOT of returns.

How much you want to bet whoever owns the "factory" is getting a nice big can of whoop azz opened on him as we speak? :lol:

offshore

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
17/3/06
And I'll bet he just got quotes from 3+ different crystal suppliers, and went with the cheapest one!
(Who has now shut up shop and moved down the street with a new name :) )
O/S

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Meah, according to Josh (via email) it's not a big issue and is being blown out of all proportion on the fora.

Col.

fernshaw

18/1/07
I just got a bad crystal as well. Dealer is replacing, but says the laminate has not been fixed.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
In that case you are going to have to remove the crystal and water proof the edges with a very fine layer of decent UV adhesive or it will just happen again.

Col.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
There will be next version coming out with fixed crystal problem. They are figuring out to do working pusher for the bezel.

No words on logo fix on the dial.

Simple reason why it is done this way. 5mm sapphire costs much more than 2mm + 3mm sapphire glued together.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Meah, according to Josh (via email) it's not a big issue and is being blown out of all proportion on the fora.

Col.

I mentioned this on 1.1. Josh says that and then he will come out with a more expensive V2 model. Talk about blown out something or other. :)