• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Macbook Pro

Nebari

Excuse me, do you have the time?
Certified
3/5/23
Colorado
M2 chip is nice and more future proof. There's no good discounts for apple products, your best bet is the education discount or an apple refurbished.
you can justify any newer product by calling it "more future proof" but IMO and in the opinion of many tech reviewers, the performance is only marginally better and definitely not worth spending several hundred dollars more just to have the latest and greatest. The M1 max is still more than most people will ever need.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
I tried upgrading the dang thing to Monterey but kept failing. You upgrade it through the Apple Store app correct?

Nebari

Excuse me, do you have the time?
Certified
3/5/23
Colorado
I tried upgrading the dang thing to Monterey but kept failing. You upgrade it through the Apple Store app correct?
I would suggest making a time machine backup, and then boot into disk utility and wipe the drive, then use a bootable usb drive to do a fresh install. You could also install the OS right from the recovery app after you wipe it, but it will try to download it right then and there and it takes longer. Here's a youtube video that explains how to do it

hope this helps!

Reactions: Cheesegrater

icy100

Horology Curious
18/1/23
United Kingdom
Was there any error message and do you have enough disk space? You might have to just try again a couple more times. I've seen this behaviour before and the fix was just to keep trying to upgrade.

Anyone here really knowledgable about macbooks?

It's time to upgrade all the computers and I'm thinking of either M1 max 64ram 2tb or M2 max.

ANd also where's the best place with the best prices usually?
As someone that's deployed/supported probably hundreds of MacBooks at this point in an enterprise setting I can wholeheartedly say you do not need the Max or 64gb RAM from what i've read you're planning to do with it.

M1 Pro with 32gb RAM will be more than enough for rendering videos/multitasking. Hell, even 16gb would be fine.

In terms of where to buy, I'd reccomend Appleand getting AppleCare. AppleCare is expensive but definitely worth it. Anything breaks, even accidentally, and they'll fix it for free (minus your subscription fee of course...). It's a really easy process too.

Also definitely don't find someone you know whos in education and use their email address to get the apple edu discount.

Reactions: malloc

MagicJ

Supporter
Certified
25/11/20
NL
Here also a MacBook Pro 16 M1 Pro, 32gb and 1TB. not even necessary for me only took it for the beautiful display, one of the best in the market.

Super fast machine, never have any problems with it.