• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Macbook Pro

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Anyone here really knowledgable about macbooks?

It's time to upgrade all the computers and I'm thinking of either M1 max 64ram 2tb or M2 max.

ANd also where's the best place with the best prices usually?

malloc

Horology Curious
13/2/23
Australia
Both m1 and m2 max's are great, you can't really go wrong with either.

You might want to wait for new mid-year models though, upgrades are expected soon, including a rumoured 15" M2 Air.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Both m1 and m2 max's are great, you can't really go wrong with either.

You might want to wait for new mid-year models though, upgrades are expected soon, including a rumoured 15" M2 Air.
Is it worth getting m2 or save $ and get m1?

Which store to buy for best prices?

I just want a 16” MacBook Pro, nothing else

malloc

Horology Curious
13/2/23
Australia
Is it worth getting m2 or save $ and get m1?

Which store to buy for best prices?

I just want a 16” MacBook Pro, nothing else
Unless you're doing serious work with it (video editing, compiling code etc) them an m1 will almost certainly be enough. Their performance was amazing when they came out and it's still the case.

Apple don't allow resellers to discount much, if at all. I'd buy direct from Apple if it were me.

Reactions: Cheesegrater

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Unless you're doing serious work with it (video editing, compiling code etc) them an m1 will almost certainly be enough. Their performance was amazing when they came out and it's still the case.

Apple don't allow resellers to discount much, if at all. I'd buy direct from Apple if it were me.
Btw what do you mean by mid year models?
I thought they release from m1 to m2 in like 2 years?

malloc

Horology Curious
13/2/23
Australia
Btw what do you mean by mid year models?
I thought they release from m1 to m2 in like 2 years?
Apple have their developer conference June 5th and they often use it to announce new models and upgrades.

They did upgrade chips in the MacBook Pros in January this year, so they are unlikely to change. It's more likely they'll announce new Air models. If you're only interested in the Pro you can likely buy now, but it's also not long to wait if you aren't in a rush.

DrHack

10/8/20
SoCal
Just to add another voice to the conversation, I completely agree with malloc. The M1 version is fantastic and has plenty of power unless you are doing the highest level of video editing, 3D modeling, etc.

Apple rarely has sales, but they do happen occasionally. If you are in the US and have a Costco membership, they often have apple products at a small discount.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Just to add another voice to the conversation, I completely agree with malloc. The M1 version is fantastic and has plenty of power unless you are doing the highest level of video editing, 3D modeling, etc.

Apple rarely has sales, but they do happen occasionally. If you are in the US and have a Costco membership, they often have apple products at a small discount.
M1 Max it is then.
The memory my 2016 pro has 16 and it’s starting to slow down on not heavy loads. Is 64gb too much or recommended?

Costco eh…. Let me see what they have. Was thinking of b&h or even Apple refurbished if refurbs are basically brand new and even cheaper.

Nebari

Excuse me, do you have the time?
Certified
3/5/23
Colorado
I've been using a 16" M1 Max with 32g ram since it came out in 2021 for audio and video production, and its fantastic. No need to upgrade to the newer chips IMO, you can snag great deals on marketplace and it will do everything you need it to do. Apple silicon is truly magical compared to all the intel based crap they've been putting out over the last two decades

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
I've been using a 16" M1 Max with 32g ram since it came out in 2021 for audio and video production, and its fantastic. No need to upgrade to the newer chips IMO, you can snag great deals on marketplace and it will do everything you need it to do. Apple silicon is truly magical compared to all the intel based crap they've been putting out over the last two decades

Where do you suggest I look for good prices on the M1 max 32gb ?

P..DR..D

KING OF BALD ARMS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
What on earth are you guys doing on your laptops lol.

I'm rocking a nice M1 macbook air with 8GB RAM & never had an issue. Albeit I do no video editing or gaming etc, but talking about 32GB or 64GB, wow.

Good luck with your search.

Reactions: Nebari

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh

I'm rocking a nice M1 macbook air with 8GB RAM & never had an issue. Albeit I do no video editing or gaming etc, but talking about 32GB or 64GB, wow.

Adobe premiere pro …. Photoshop… multi tasking, trolling entitled trolls in this forum.

Takes a lot of memory

Nebari

Certified
3/5/23
Colorado
Where do you suggest I look for good prices on the M1 max 32gb ?
If you don't mind going second hand, they are pretty abundant on FB marketplace. There's a barely used one near me right now for $3k, 2tb 64g ram model. If you wanna buy that same model new, looks like Adorama has it on price drop for $3600

Nebari

Certified
3/5/23
Colorado

For most people, it is excessive, unless you like to have 200 tabs open on chrome lol. But yeah, 4 streams of 4k video with effects and transitions in final cut will bog down the lower spec models.

Reactions: P..DR..D

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
If you don't mind going second hand, they are pretty abundant on FB marketplace. There's a barely used one near me right now for $3k, 2tb 64g ram model. If you wanna buy that same model new, looks like Adorama has it on price drop for $3600
I will never buy from Facebook people.
Most are shit.

New or refurb would be best. Thus thinking of Costco or refurb from Apple

Nebari

Certified
3/5/23
Colorado
Just check their rating, if they have a 5 star with multiple transactions, you're good - at that point nobody is going to waste good reputation. But whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you'll be happy with the product.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Just check their rating, if they have a 5 star with multiple transactions, you're good - at that point nobody is going to waste good reputation. But whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you'll be happy with the product.
Cool. Thanks for the tips.

Good to know I don’t have to spend extra on the M2

Btw, do you know if it’s safe to upgrade a 2016 MacBook Pro from high sierra to the latest ?

There’s an app that doesn’t support it but I’m afraid it’ll bog the machine down and make things slow

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Certified
13/7/16
M2 chip is nice and more future proof. There's no good discounts for apple products, your best bet is the education discount or an apple refurbished.

Nebari

Certified
3/5/23
Colorado
Cool. Thanks for the tips.

Good to know I don’t have to spend extra on the M2

Btw, do you know if it’s safe to upgrade a 2016 MacBook Pro from high sierra to the latest ?

There’s an app that doesn’t support it but I’m afraid it’ll bog the machine down and make things slow
Looks like the 2016 MBP is not on the compatibility list for Ventura, but it can run Monterey - My last intel MBP was running Catalina and then I upgraded to my current model, so I can't tell you with first hand experience if Monterey will run slow, but Catalina didn't seem to make a difference