• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Luminox 6251 Leather Blackout

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
Hello everyone. Today I received my Luminox blackout that I won on the Bay. I won it Friday night and it was here this morning(Monday) Lightening fast shipping, and the seller answered all of my questions before I bid on it. Great seller.

Some people call this the Navy Seals watch. Although I don't think it is sponsored whatsoever by the military. But I do know that a lot of people in the military do wear this watch. I have a couple friends on our local police force and swat teams who also wear this watch. That is how I got to know it first hand and get familiar with it.

It is definitely one hell of a tactical watch. It is simple. No buttons all over the place with a million functions that are hard to remember how to use. Only the crown to set the date and time. THe crown unwinds exceptionally smooth, and it is so easy to set the date and time.

This watch is very solid and rugged. From reviews that I have read and from reviews from my friends that have it it does withstand whatever you can put it through.

Aesthetically I like the design of the case. It is rugged, yet pleasing to the eye. They call it the black out, but there are variants and shades of black and grey and blues. So it is very easy to read the time.

The strap is leather on this one. I Like the strap, but I think that I will also get the nylon strap too.

Movement is quartz. I have never been a huge fan of quartz watches, but I have had a couple in my lifetime. I think I'll make an exception for this one. lol.

I've only had it for a few hours, but I love it already.

There is only one thing that I am dissappointed with, and that is the gas tubes, or illumination. There is so much hype about the gas tube technology with luminox and how bright it is and so on and so on. I couldn't wait to get it in a dark room and see for myself, which is exactly what I did when I unboxed it. For me, this technology doesn't live up to all the hype I've read. Of course maybe I'm spoiled from having my explorer II though. My explorer II is probably more than double as bright as this watch. The lume on my explorer really looks like little lights that are on and producing light. That is truly amazing. I definitely can tell what time it is with this luminox in the dark, but it seems dim and from 2 or 3 feet away you can't even tell that there is any lume. I can see my explorer from across the room at night when I'm sleeping. That's a huge difference.

So that's my only complaint. kind of dissapointed in that, but everything else is just awesome.

The bezel is excellent. It feels very well constructed when you turn it. Nice solid crisp clicks that stop exactly on the markers.

There's no magnification for the date but it is very easy to read

It has the sapphire crystal with an A.R. coating that is very nice also. I forgot to take pics of the caseback but it is engraved.

The watch is very comfortable to wear.

Waterproof/resistant to 200 meters or 660 feet, which I don't swim deeper than 12 to 15 feet ever anyway.

The case diameter is 44 mm. I have really small wrists and was really afraid that my exporer would look silly on me before I got it being 42 mm, but it was fine, and I had the same concern before this one arrived today, but the size doesn't bother me at all, and I actually prefer the larger watches now.

Overall I give this watch a 9 out of 10. The only thing I can detract from is the lume. It's an attractive watch. It's built well. It is proven with a lot of great reviews. It can take a beating and still function like it should, and that is what it was built for.

The MSRP is around $750 USD. but I have seen it at AD's for around $650, and I picked this one up on Ebay for $276 and it is brand new. Which I think is pretty amazing. I had been watching it, and never thought I would get the bid. But I waiteduntil about 40 seconds left in the auction and put my bid in.

If anyone has been on the fence about this watch and you have any questions please ask. I may add things to this thread as I get to know this watch more in wearing it. But I would definitely recommend this watch to anybody.

Enjoy the pics. I took a couple of Benji with it ,but they turned out blurry. so He will have to wait until the next photoshoot

10684698776_edc27b24b0_c.jpg

10684698776_edc27b24b0_c.jpg

10684699736_6c8d7bab8d_c.jpg

10684700056_f4c0076fe9_c.jpg

10684700496_b962ac6a98_c.jpg

10684700516_885b643ee0_c.jpg

Xtian

Renowned Member
13/4/12
Great pics! Congrats on the acquisition. Love my 3401 F-117 Stealth.

egroegart

1/7/13
Thanks, I like the stealth too. That was my other choice too.

egroegart

1/7/13
First day update. I wore my new black out all day today. I absolutely love it. The leather strap is very very soft and comfortable. Of course I was distracted at work all day today continuously looking down at it. Called the "black out" because it is adorned in all dark hues. Even so, it is very easy to see as it is different shades of blacks, reays and blues.

The A.R. is excellent It was bright and sunny today and there was never a glare on the crystal. The tint of the A.R. really complements the dark hues well also, as it is very noticeable and actually part of the color scheme of the watch which is nice.

This watch is very versatile and can be wornfor many purposes or occasions.

I'm starting to see my watch collection evolve and grow into something I'm really proud of.

egroegart

1/7/13
Thank you Shelby. I love it.

I have had this for several days now and I absolutely love it.
My one complaint initially was with the gas tubes not being very bright. After all the hype I read about these and this new gas tube technology I was expecting to see something even brighter than the superlume on my explorer II. I really don't think now that there is anything out there that beats superlume. If people think that these gas tubes are bright then they haven't seen superlume. period. On the other hand the intensity of the gas tubes stays constant. 24 hours a day. It doesn't need light to charge, so it is just as readable when I first go to bed as it is right before the sun comes up in the morning. So I do like that.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Nice catch there Egro, Ive been looking at those for a while.

One thing you need to remember about a true "tactical" watch is, you dont want the watch to reflect or emit any bright light, which could compromise your position in a combat situation.

You got a great price on that, i hope to come across a deal like that myself !

egroegart

1/7/13
Thanks Radave. That is true. I wasn't thinking about that. I really think this watch fits into that category pretty well then with the A.R. and the gas tubes being so dim. I did a test in complete darkess at 3 feet away you see nothing except just a hint of the orange tube at 12 oclock. At 5 foot you see nothing. So at just a short distance it would be completely undetected. I think it makes a great tactical. It's solid, but not too cumbersome or heavy for the shooter. Tomorrow I will be shooting stationary and moving targets, and running the target course too, so I will report back with anything I find there.