• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lume 101 Part two - The Practical

robbnj

11/6/09
Why is Superluminova so expensive? GlowInc claims their material as grade zero, which is the highest grade (is this like the rep dealers claiming their "Grade AAAA" quality reps?)?

Rob

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
it is not the material that is expensive.. if you get someone to lume for you, it is the man hours put in that is expensive.. that is why our pro modders charge up to 150 to 200 for luming...

robbnj

11/6/09
alvinado said:
it is not the material that is expensive.. if you get someone to lume for you, it is the man hours put in that is expensive.. that is why our pro modders charge up to 150 to 200 for luming...

I was just quoting the original post about the cost of Superluminova:
"As SuperLuminova is VERY expensive to use for practice pieces, I'd suggest starting with some of the inexpensive pigment from someone like Glow Inc."

I covered a 4x6 sheet of black glass with GlowInc powder (in a clear acrylic carrier paint) and still have enough powder left to do 500 watches. My cost all-in was ~$15.00. It glows for over 9hours.

Rob

gaspot

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/3/07
Glowinc have a new pre-mixed water based ultra green formula made for watch luming. I wonder how good this is. [click:foc71txh]http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=12[/click:foc71txh]

slooowr6

18/8/09
Why is Superluminova so expensive? GlowInc claims their material as grade zero, which is the highest grade (is this like the rep dealers claiming their "Grade AAAA" quality reps?)?

Rob

Anyone know the answer to this question??

watchblog

21/12/07
Just one note: I've found LumiNova (sold by UMC) to be of very high quality, comparable to SuperLumiNova. I honestly can't tell the difference between them. The catch is that you have to buy it in (as I recall) 1lb increments and it's $250/lb. Rocketeer, if you'd like some to experiment with, just let me know.

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
wow; do you do mods for cash :p

bamadave

13/11/09
Thanks Rocket, exceptional piece. Not that I would even consider an attempt it is still interesting to see what one goes through.

dimgr

28/5/10
what kind of whitebase coat do you prefer and use ?

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
How long does a good lume job last? Got a Breitling Skyland Avenger. After 45 sec charge it lasts about 20 min, with about 5 extra where it's still visible if I stare for a few seconds (this was while driving at night)

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
you can mix to order; change colour texture, consistency, finish, brightness etc.

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
no problem - we all learn from each other :)

luckie

19/12/11
If I learned anything from this it is to let someone else do my luming. LOL I don't have the patience for it. Nver have been able to stay inside the lines. Great post though and when can I send you my dials for relume?

chimera87

23/8/15
Awesome Tutorial... I'm a Big Fan of Lumed Dials... Will try on some of my older models to get some zing back in them... Thanks a ton... ;)