• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a .22 rifle

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Henry - more bang for da buck
Browning - less bang for da buck
Winchester - no
Rossi - hell no
Marlin - nail driver from hell (and it don't remind stiff at all of da Marlin 45-70 which felt slopply even when new)

why not a .17 ? Do you live in da town? Da .17 makes small stuff disappear!

I'm really hoping that English is your second.... third language. Getting gun advice from someone who uses "da" might not be the best source, unless you're a gang member, then it just might be. :p

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I'm really hoping that English is your second.... third language. Getting gun advice from someone who uses "da" might not be the best source, unless you're a gang member, then it just might be. :p

Yo, TB! If ya find dat ya need der tranzlaitore in da hood ya have found yer dude....

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
I would love to reply, honest I would, but I haven't the faintest idea what was said above. :D It does remind me of a South African friend we have, something similar about it. Dutch maybe??? :p

Yo, TB! If ya find dat ya need der tranzlaitore in da hood ya have found yer dude....

OK, I went to an online "ghetto" translator and it came out like this:

"Hello TB! If you need a translator in the neighborhood you have found your friend..."

Whew. Good to know! :biglaugh:

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
OK, I went to an online "ghetto" translator and it came out like this:

"Hello TB! If you need a translator in the neighborhood you have found your friend..."

Whew. Good to know! :biglaugh:

Ah wuz toled dat dare iz a nu ifone speek an spel ap dat whill due dis four youz rich guyz.

stiff muckler

Known Member
26/8/10
loose

That's an odd assessment of the Marlin, since they have solid receivers. I have never seen one that felt loose. Winchesters, on the other hand... Back on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Da trigger didn't beak clean

Da bolt wasn't really tight in "battery"

Da lever wasn't tight side to side

L O O S E (but it did group gut out to 150 meters with da Marbles tang)

stiff's 1886 in 45-90 is tight even though it's a century old

stiff muckler ist im da Haus!

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
I have had a Winchester lever action 22. It was ok but not really much fun. Gave it away years ago. I suggest looking at a Smith and Wesson M&P15-22 before you buy. That rifle is great fun, accurate and operates just like an AR-15 so the muscle memory you build while shooting your 22 translates perfectly to a 223 platform (and 308 if you have an AR chambered in 308). The M&P15-22 is really a sweet shooter. But if you are into Cowboy Action shooting and want only those old style guns a lever action 22 may be your thing. To me it was just quite boring considering the alternatives.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
In a bolt, Winchester, Bruno or Sako.
In a semi, Ruger 10/22 of cause.

Col

stiff muckler

Known Member
26/8/10
military plastic

Da AR's don't fit in da saddle scabbards so gut. Da Ruger Mini's with da short clip work a little better fur dis. stiff's favorite saddle gun is da Browning 1878 in 7mm.

sm iiH!

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
In a bolt, Winchester, Bruno or Sako.
In a semi, Ruger 10/22 of cause.

Col

I had a Ruger 77/22 which was a really nice .22 bolt gun. It was built for sills, had a Green Mtn 1.25" barrel. Awesome gun, but I couldn't justify keeping it for the money invested in it.
Rifle-wise (22LR) I shoot the Marlin 39A and the GSG-5 the most these days. My other semiautos have been out of the safe in years I guess.

Back on my iPhone using Tapatalk

dingleberry

19/11/09
thanks for all the replies fellas.

I was in a bass pro shops yesterday and held all of the above mentioned. I have decided to get a semi auto instead of the lever. The lever seemed much too heavy for my taste.

However, it will not be the ruger 10/22. It may be a nice gun, but it felt way to big and bulky in my hand.....

I need to find this....at the right price of course. Browning semi auto grade 1. Bass Pro had it at $559 with 10% off etc....so around $500.00 new

Semi-Auto-22-Grade-I-MID-021001-l.jpg

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Stiff, as a person that made a living (and stayed alive) based on his aptitude with a rifle I take exception of your dismissal of the Rossi. I grew up with them, still have them, and honed my 300+ yard shooting with one of them. A lot of people listen to the hype, and never actually shoot a rifle/pistol before writing it off. Rossi makes a lot of great budget rifles that are more accurate that those that cost hundreds more. Trigger pull sometimes needs a little work, but that can be said for any rifle, same with sending out a few lemons.

Nice choice dingleberry. I hope it works out well for you, considering that hefty price tag. wow... I don't think I've ever paid more than $250 for a .22. Hope it's as amazing as the cost.