• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

KVF RM11-03 RG

RedMouthguard

Known Member
22/9/21
NYC
How's KVF aside from their thicker than gen case?
Are they as good as BBR or Sonic?

I believe the movement is a modded 7750. They are said to be ticking “time bombs”. But might be safe to use as long as you don’t manual wind or use chrono.

I could be wrong tho.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
KVF does make the best (and only) RM11 reps, but as noted the issue is the movements. All of them run modded 7750s which will keep time perfectly but have issues with the chrono reset and occasionally with the handwinding wheels. They're fun reps but if they break they're essentially unfixable unless you can make your own parts. IMHO it would be not too difficult to clone this movement since it's a modular chrono slapped on top of a Vaucher seed movement, but I don't think the market is there to justify the effort.

Reactions: Cheesegrater

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
KVF does make the best (and only) RM11 reps, but as noted the issue is the movements. All of them run modded 7750s which will keep time perfectly but have issues with the chrono reset and occasionally with the handwinding wheels. They're fun reps but if they break they're essentially unfixable unless you can make your own parts. IMHO it would be not too difficult to clone this movement since it's a modular chrono slapped on top of a Vaucher seed movement, but I don't think the market is there to justify the effort.
Long time no see. Good to see you.
I guess as long as we don’t run the chrono it should be ok and chances are this is the best we’ll have for the foreseeable future. ?

Reactions: GiantSquid

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Long time no see. Good to see you.
I guess as long as we don’t run the chrono it should be ok and chances are this is the best we’ll have for the foreseeable future. ?
Good to see you too, brother! I'm always lurking, but I need to get my ass in gear and finish these projects I've had lying around forever!
As far as I know these are the best we're gonna get; I still want a mecaquartz version but that's most likely not going to happen, and I doubt anyone else will sink the resources into cloning it. They do keep time really well and I love mine but without some big developments what we have is likely what we're gonna get

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Good to see you too, brother! I'm always lurking, but I need to get my ass in gear and finish these projects I've had lying around forever!
As far as I know these are the best we're gonna get; I still want a mecaquartz version but that's most likely not going to happen, and I doubt anyone else will sink the resources into cloning it. They do keep time really well and I love mine but without some big developments what we have is likely what we're gonna get
The thickness is around 18-19mm vs 16 right?
Does that make a big difference on the wrist for you?

How do you like the carbon bezel pattern?

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
The thickness is around 18-19mm vs 16 right?
Does that make a big difference on the wrist for you?

How do you like the carbon bezel pattern?
The older KVFs with the incorrect date font were actually 16.5-17mm, but most of the newer ones with the proper skeleton datewheel dealie are 18mm. I find that there is a difference on wrist but it's not really that much, it's mostly when putting on a sweatshirt or jacket over it that you tend to notice how thick it is. Honestly, the material makes a much bigger difference. I have a ceramic one and a carbon one and the carbon is much lighter and feels smaller even though they're the exact same size. I think they started using titanium in the midcases at some point, which should cut weight from the newer ceramic models. As for the carbon, I like it, but I'm not a stickler for carbon pattern. It's definitely better than the early ZF models and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same stock that everyone is using since you can find NTPT blocks for sale relatively easily now.
I wish there was another solution for the movement, because I love-love-love the RM11 and if there was something better I'd buy a bunch of them.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
The older KVFs with the incorrect date font were actually 16.5-17mm, but most of the newer ones with the proper skeleton datewheel dealie are 18mm. I find that there is a difference on wrist but it's not really that much, it's mostly when putting on a sweatshirt or jacket over it that you tend to notice how thick it is. Honestly, the material makes a much bigger difference. I have a ceramic one and a carbon one and the carbon is much lighter and feels smaller even though they're the exact same size. I think they started using titanium in the midcases at some point, which should cut weight from the newer ceramic models. As for the carbon, I like it, but I'm not a stickler for carbon pattern. It's definitely better than the early ZF models and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same stock that everyone is using since you can find NTPT blocks for sale relatively easily now.
I wish there was another solution for the movement, because I love-love-love the RM11 and if there was something better I'd buy a bunch of them.

What project are you working on?
Unlike Rolex I don't think RM comes to mind for most. And most can't pull it off, I think you're right that there isn't much sale with RM so doubt a factory would start cloning even something as simple as rm55, let a lone an 11, 35 or 27.

These and that RG one are the best we can get now then?

Have you seen this one? Not sure what factory it is but it looks meh

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
What project are you working on?
Unlike Rolex I don't think RM comes to mind for most. And most can't pull it off, I think you're right that there isn't much sale with RM so doubt a factory would start cloning even something as simple as rm55, let a lone an 11, 35 or 27.

These and that RG one are the best we can get now then?

Have you seen this one? Not sure what factory it is but it looks meh
I've got the RM35-03, it's an awesome watch (not super accurate, but it's decent and it's easy to wear) but they did a silent update that fixed one dial flaw and added like five more, so I prefer the earlier version. It's just a Miyota in a dress so it's super reliable but accuracy is meh and both the v1 and v1.5 have a list of flaws when you get really discerning about it.

I think the best RM11s right now are probably the carbon KVFs but besides the cases all the guts are essentially the same. I'm interested in seeing how the Sonics and the newer 35 and 55 clones evolve and last, cause the BBR was a big leap but not great engineering, and the later clones seem to have learned from that. The tourbillon reps are fantastic, movements are reliable and pretty much any flaw is invisible when there's a tourbillon spinning in front of your eyes.

Projects I've been working on are the RM67 homage and a mecaquartz RM50 but I've done absolutely nothing with them for months. I'm trying to get back into the habit of working more often but I ran into a frustrating patch and dropped it for several months. Hopefully I can get my shit together, finish both, and share them with everyone but I'm terrible at deadlines so I'm going to just try to let it happen when it happens.

RedMouthguard

Known Member
22/9/21
NYC
Kind of off topic but what is the base movement of the BBR RMUL2 & RMUL3?

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
I've got the RM35-03, it's an awesome watch (not super accurate, but it's decent and it's easy to wear) but they did a silent update that fixed one dial flaw and added like five more, so I prefer the earlier version. It's just a Miyota in a dress so it's super reliable but accuracy is meh and both the v1 and v1.5 have a list of flaws when you get really discerning about it.

I think the best RM11s right now are probably the carbon KVFs but besides the cases all the guts are essentially the same. I'm interested in seeing how the Sonics and the newer 35 and 55 clones evolve and last, cause the BBR was a big leap but not great engineering, and the later clones seem to have learned from that. The tourbillon reps are fantastic, movements are reliable and pretty much any flaw is invisible when there's a tourbillon spinning in front of your eyes.

Projects I've been working on are the RM67 homage and a mecaquartz RM50 but I've done absolutely nothing with them for months. I'm trying to get back into the habit of working more often but I ran into a frustrating patch and dropped it for several months. Hopefully I can get my shit together, finish both, and share them with everyone but I'm terrible at deadlines so I'm going to just try to let it happen when it happens.
If it’s miyota in a mini dress, I’m down.

The 35-03 you have is that from that z factory I showed in the link?

@Stuvetjee saod he loves his sonic rm35 and bbr27. But yea that rm27 is very expensive.

Damn you make watches??? Logo should be a kraken on your watch.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
If it’s miyota in a mini dress, I’m down.

The 35-03 you have is that from that z factory I showed in the link?

@Stuvetjee saod he loves his sonic rm35 and bbr27. But yea that rm27 is very expensive.

Damn you make watches??? Logo should be a kraken on your watch.
The 35-03 as far as I know is only made by Z Factory, never seen another version. They make the blue one and the white one and probably will make the carbon one if they don't already.

I *try* to make watches, it's super hard and I've only been doing it for a couple years off and on; one day I'll get there but it's one hobby out of too many that can divide my attention!

RedMouthguard

Known Member
22/9/21
NYC
The 35-03 as far as I know is only made by Z Factory, never seen another version. They make the blue one and the white one and probably will make the carbon one if they don't already.

I *try* to make watches, it's super hard and I've only been doing it for a couple years off and on; one day I'll get there but it's one hobby out of too many that can divide my attention!
That's exactly how I feel with Watch repair hobby...so many hobbys, work, relationships....so little time 😅😅

• Haha

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh

Can you make me that chaykin minions watch?
I happen to have some old jeans to donate and turn into the strap.

Z factory 35-03 doesn’t look like a toy? Looks like an RM? Those photos at biao makes it look like a gumball machine watch lol

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
That's exactly how I feel with Watch repair hobby...so many hobbys, work, relationships....so little time 😅😅
YOu have a watch repair hobby? THAT'S gonna take a bunch of time and you said you have relationships? LOL 1 woman takes a lot of time, imagine you have a few women. Hope all of them are mormon... =)

RedMouthguard

Known Member
22/9/21
NYC
YOu have a watch repair hobby? THAT'S gonna take a bunch of time and you said you have relationships? LOL 1 woman takes a lot of time, imagine you have a few women. Hope all of them are mormon... =)
Haha 1 wife, relationships meaning friends & family. Haha used to be a player but chilled out, chasing tail leads you head first into shit.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Can you make me that chaykin minions watch?
I happen to have some old jeans to donate and turn into the strap.

Z factory 35-03 doesn’t look like a toy? Looks like an RM? Those photos at biao makes it look like a gumball machine watch lol
Lol if you could find a movement I could make a case but my builds haven't been too successful lately.

My RM35 -03 isn't the best rep on earth but it's far from the worst. I think the v1.5 update ruined the deco, so I much prefer the first one with the small 9 and 3, which has much more detail. The silent update version definitely looks a bit weird, so I would try to find one m2m rather than from a TD, it's how I got mine.

RedMouthguard

Known Member
22/9/21
NYC
Lol if you could find a movement I could make a case but my builds haven't been too successful lately.

My RM35 -03 isn't the best rep on earth but it's far from the worst. I think the v1.5 update ruined the deco, so I much prefer the first one with the small 9 and 3, which has much more detail. The silent update version definitely looks a bit weird, so I would try to find one m2m rather than from a TD, it's how I got mine.
When new updated of watches comes out, do TD stop selling previous version?