• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Just for grins…I serviced and regulated a fake (I mean really fake) 2813

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I took the challenge. I had an old 2813 (without a factory stamp) that hadn’t been in a case or run for maybe a decade, or more.

I wish I’d taken photographs but, to be honest, I didn’t want to commit myself to actually completing this exercise. Besides, I had this tutorial https://thewatchsmith.org/walkthrough-of-a-dixmont-guangzhou-dg2813-service/

Breaking it down was no problem and there were no obvious problems except that it had been over lubricated and was horribly gunked up.

Next step was donning hazmat gear and cleaning the parts thinking this was a huge waste of time and toxic as well.

If disassembly went smoothly, putting it back together was a whole different story.

I’ll save you the details but getting all 6 pivots lined up so I could get that bridge plate back on was torture. Maybe it took less time but it seemed like forever and was accomplished only after I steeled my nerves with a couple fingers of my favorite single malt whiskey. Chalk one up to the Islay gods.

The other side of the watch was less consequential though I thought I’d lost the date jumper spring (twice) before I figured out a better way to assemble it.

After it was completely assembled and the dial and hands were back on, I put it on my el cheapie iPhone app Timegrapher and I’ll be damned that this is what happened…

z7U3ZL.jpg

I don’t trust the iPhone Timegrapher so I synced it up with my atomic clock on Friday and now, three full days later, this “crappy” little movement is actually losing less than two seconds a day!!!! If you told me I’d ever be able to get this kind of performance from a 2813, I’d say no way.

Will I do this again? Nope. Not a chance.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Impressive!
Luck. But it makes me think I should not be so snobby about these cheap movements Some might actually be decent. +/- 1.4s per day and getting it on beat was pretty cool and the amplitude. Geez. Like I said luck. We’ll see how it’s performing next week and beyond.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Great read and great work but now I'm curious about what's your favorite whiskey. :)
I like complex peaty smokey malts. This exercise paired very nicely with Lagavulin 16 though, if I had Laphroaig Quarter Cask, that would have been better.

I’m not a wine guy, but those who are can relate to the feeling when you share a finely crafted sip with someone who doesn’t appreciate it and maybe even doesn’t like it.

If I’m not going to have to share with a person who has no respect for these malts, Laphroaig 25 is my absolute favorite Islay malt.

PTwatchLover

Certified
29/8/22
Portugal
I know what you mean and I like smokey malts too. Never tried Laphroaig 25 but I'm currently rotating Laphroaig 10 and Talisker 10.

LordDrak

Looking Around
20/8/23
Delighted to read this.
I recently got what was described as an AAA diver that has a 2813 in it, stamped ALZ.

After a bit of messing about on a Weishi 1000, I eventually got it running +2s per day with a beat error of 0.1ms and an amplitude of 282, so I reckon if it runs that way on the wrist I'll be happy.

That said, would a Sellita SW200 swap in? The second hand is the concern as I've seen specs of 0.17 to 0.25mm listed.

Any experience?

PS: I'm more of a whiskey fan myself. Something like a 12YO Jameson, or a Midleton Rare.

LordDrak

Looking Around
20/8/23
Delighted to read this.
I recently got what was described as an AAA diver that has a 2813 in it, stamped ALZ.

After a bit of messing about on a Weishi 1000, I eventually got it running +2s per day with a beat error of 0.1ms and an amplitude of 282, so I reckon if it runs that way on the wrist I'll be happy.

That said, would a Sellita SW200 swap in? The second hand is the concern as I've seen specs of 0.17 to 0.25mm listed.

Any experience?

PS: I'm more of a whiskey fan myself. Something like a 12YO Jameson, or a Midleton Rare.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Anything worth saying is worthy saying twice. 😂

Your Timegrapher numbers are consistent with what I’ve seen. I know it’s cheap, but the 2813 is a pretty damn reliable movement.

Don’t know about the swap. I’m running in to a meeting and have no time to look it up right now but will do so later if someone else doesn’t come up with the answer first.

Oh…as long as it’s whiskey (Scotch, Bourbon, Rye, Japanese, Irish, Canadian, etc) it has a place on my shelf. The clear stuff, not so much.

Reactions: LordDrak

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Delighted to read this.

Any experience?

Had a chance to look it up. The DG2813 is significantly larger in height (5.94mm vs 4.6mm) so expect you may have issues re stem height, dial spacer, etc. The other thing, which you pointed out, is they have different hand sizes. The SW200 takes 1.5/0.9/.25 while the DG is 1.52/1.0/0.17. It would be easier to go the other way, from the SW to the DG, because going from a DG to SW will require a new handset.

Another thing that occurs to me. Though there are many “Divers”, if yours is the AP, moving from a low beat (21,600 bph) to a high beat (28,800 bph) is going in the wrong direction as the genuine sports a 3120 (21,600 bph) caliber movement.

If you really feel the need to upgrade, take a look at the Miyota 8215. It would be a straight swap for another low beat.

Reactions: LordDrak

LordDrak

Looking Around
20/8/23
Had a chance to look it up. The DG2813 is significantly larger in height (5.94mm vs 4.6mm) so expect you may have issues re stem height, dial spacer, etc. The other thing, which you pointed out, is they have different hand sizes. The SW200 takes 1.5/0.9/.25 while the DG is 1.52/1.0/0.17. It would be easier to go the other way, from the SW to the DG, because going from a DG to SW will require a new handset.

Another thing that occurs to me. Though there are many “Divers”, if yours is the AP, moving from a low beat (21,600 bph) to a high beat (28,800 bph) is going in the wrong direction as the genuine sports a 3120 (21,600 bph) caliber movement.

If you really feel the need to upgrade, take a look at the Miyota 8215. It would be a straight swap for another low beat.
Cheers for that.
Yes, I had seen that Miyota 8215 was a swap, but I'd also seen that the 8215 was more or less a version of the ETA 2824, as was the SW200. But it seems that's a bit of a loose interpretation.

The rep in question is a SM Pro 42mm.
The 2813 already hacks, winds and quick sets, so let's see how it goes now that it is regulated.
The high beat would be nice, if it is an option,

And yeah, not too fond of the clear liquours. And if I'm going with whisky, that would be a MaCallans 10 year old. Not wild about the peaty ones.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Cheers for that.
Yes, I had seen that Miyota 8215 was a swap, but I'd also seen that the 8215 was more or less a version of the ETA 2824, as was the SW200. But it seems that's a bit of a loose interpretation.

The rep in question is a SM Pro 42mm.
The 2813 already hacks, winds and quick sets, so let's see how it goes now that it is regulated.
The high beat would be nice, if it is an option,

And yeah, not too fond of the clear liquours. And if I'm going with whisky, that would be a MaCallans 10 year old. Not wild about the peaty ones.
Ah yes the Seamaster Pro…very different watch. My brain was seeing an AP 15703.

The DG2813 is indeed a hacking clone of the 8215 but neither would be clones of the 2824. Miyota has been making 8215s that hack for about five years or so. The non-hacking ones are new old stock or fakes.

However, you are correct the SW200 is definitely a 2824 clone as are: Ginault 7275, Hangzhou 6301, Landeron24, Lianoning Peacock SL-3000, Seagull ST2130, SwissTP STP-11, and Valanvrin VAL-24.

You may recognize Ginault which is the legitimate progeny of “TC” and the Lianoning Peacock Factory which is affiliated with the Dandong Watch Factory.

The 42mm SMP has a large case so I’m guessing you could fit a 2824 clone but the different stem height will still be the challenge.