• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Jestco anodized finish remover for aging bezel inserts

Johndoe123

Horology Curious
13/5/22
Virginia
I'm pretty new to this hobby and I've just embarked on the journey of building my first watch, a 9411 Tudor sub. I'm trying to keep the budget low, so I'm using mostly raffles parts (case, dial, hands). I plan to do more serious builds once I get my footing.

I've always like the look of a faded 'ghost bezel.' I tried the bleach soaking method on the raffles insert to no avail. I'm a bicycle mechanic by trade and occasionally do custom finish work. After seeing no result from the bleach I remembered that I've used 'Jestco anodized finish remover' on aluminum to prep it for paint. Not sure what the active ingredient is, but it's very potent! Next time I will dilute the mixture a bit more. This result is from a quick dip, maybe 10 seconds. Overall I'm pretty happy with the result.

Reactions: MDswimmer

Johndoe123

Horology Curious
13/5/22
Virginia
Here's a little update from earlier. I've thinned the crown guards and reset the bezel insert I aged in the last post. I'll probably still use a less aged insert on this project, but I'm not upset with this current configuration. Let me know what you think.