• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Japan OS Chronograph!?

SeW800

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/09
Hi,

I'm really new to this forum (and the whole watch thing... I've only owned two gen watches to date).

Anyway, I'm planning on buying this watch: http://www.timeshops.net/TG6375_-_T..._Dial_SS_-_JAPAN_OS_Chronograph_270019-98.htm

And it says that it uses a Japan OS Chronograph for movement? But I read all the tutorials on this website, and there is no mentioning of such a movement. So, can anyone comment on whether or not it is good/reliable? Also, does anyone have any experience with this watch model?

Thanks!

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Miyota OS-20 movement probably. Very good, reliable and inexpensive quartz movement.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
the subdials are working for this model...

But you may want to consider a model with asian 7750 movement...

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
SeW800 said:
So I guess that's better than a 21J?
A 21J is a basic movement and usually pretty good. However, it can't run all of those subdials.... a quartz can. A 7750 auto movement can run the subdials as well...it will cost more though.

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
KBH said:
Miyota OS-20 movement probably. Very good, reliable and inexpensive quartz movement.
Barry, you need to spend more time on something other than reps! 8)

SeW800

6/9/09
Ok, so in conclusion, the main difference between the Japan OS quartz and the A-7750 is that the latter one is automatic?

But, my main question still is, which one is the most reliable movement? Because all I really want is a nice looking Tag Heuer that will display hours and minutes for at least an year or so. Subdials and chrono features are really just secondary :p

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
SeW800 said:
Ok, so in conclusion, the main difference between the Japan quartz and tha A-7750 is that the latter one is automatic?

But, my main question still is, which one is the most reliable movement? Because all I really want is a nice looking Tag Heuer that will display hours and minutes for at least an year or so. Subdials and chrono features are really just secondary :p
If you want most reliable....quartz.

SeW800

6/9/09
Wow, you guys are pretty fast to reply around here :p

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
if you want something that is similar to the gen, then asuian 7750.

So reliability vs closeness to gen, it is your chioce :)

Spiccato

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
Hiya SeW....

The Miyota movement in that watch (OS10, maybe?) is excellent. Dead dependable, runs perfectly until it need a new battery. As a quartz movement, it uses battery power to
move the hands...not a mechanical apparatus.
The 7750 being spoken of here is also excellent. Very dependable, however it should be serviced as soon as you get the watch.

If you want something like a daily driver or workhorse timepiece, where you can put it in the drawer, come back to it a week later, and it still has all the subdials set and running, then by all means get the quartz.
If you want something more esoteric and somewhat more emotionally satisfying, where it looks, feels, and runs more like the real thing, and don't mind the servicing cost and resetting the complications when it runs down, get the 7750.
IMHO the only thing you should not get (in this watch) is the 21j auto.
Save that for the non-stopwatch models.

I'd bet everyone here has quartz daily drivers. I do. My sons borrow my watches, too, so I'd rather have dependable inexpensive watches on their hands.
I have auto non-chrono watches that do the "emotionally satisfying" thing for me.

JMHO...your choice of that model with the OS movement is a good one!
Go for it!

SeW800

6/9/09
Thanks for the replies guys!

You've helped me made my mind, so I'll be definitely getting this cheaper version of the watch (with the Miyota quartz movement), to keep me company, while I'm collecting cash (money is hard to come by in university :D ) for the real gen version of this watch.

I figured, since I don't plan to own more different expensive watches, I should just buy one perfect gen, and keep it for a lifetime (with regular servicing and everything else).

bestdressedwrist

Horology Curious
9/9/09
I cant access the link in the first post - anyone else having the same problem ?

OK Ignore this - its working now. Weird !

Nice choice of watch dude :D