• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JAmes Bond

gcbrown3

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/2/08
Which Rolex is he wearing in that shot with the white tux?

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Your answer..

sort of....

It is believed that Connery wore the 6538 in Dr. No. Many collectors therefore regard it as the only true James Bond Submariner, with the possible exception of the 6200, on account of the presence of the larger “Brevet†winding crown and non-crown guard case. Others believe that all Submariners “without crown guards†deserved the same distinction (i.e., to also include the 5508, 5510, 6204, 6205, and 6536 series). Crown guards were not introduced to the line until 1959, when they were featured on a brand new model, the 5512.

In "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", Bond uses his Rolex as a knuckle-duster and breaks it. Contemplating a replacement watch, Bond thinks, "A Rolex? Probably. They are on the heavy side, but they work. And at least you can see the time in the dark with those big phosphorous numerals." In the 1962 film “Dr No.â€, actor Sean Connery played the beach scene with the statuesque Ursula Andress with a Rolex Submariner on his wrist. For collectors, that Rolex Submariner Ref. 6538 or 5508, has come to be known as the “James Bond Submarinerâ€

Stainless steel Rolex Oyster Submariner, model number 5510, dating from the first quarter of 1958....
In simple terms this watch scores four times in the rarity stakes. Firstly, it is a model 5510, generally acknowledged to be the rarest Submariner model of all, next it is a military Submariner and all military Subs are rare watches. Then it is the first military "James Bond" submariner ever to surface. The existence of the military James Bond watches has been known for some time, It has the most desirable of all dials with the gloss black back ground and luminous 3/6/9 numerals.
The 5510 is a strange interim model, in that it uses the old style "James Bond" shoulderless case with the large 8mm "Brevette" crown but fitted with the newer 1520 movement. It is universally acknowledged that the 15XX series of calibres is the best that Rolex ever made; so the combination of the old style case & the 1520 make this one of the most usable of the vintage Rolex watches.
The dial is a fabulous gloss black with silver gold printing whilst the luminous tritium has faded to a slightly cream colour.

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Ask seanf. I'm sure he knows for sure, since he diddles himself while watching Bond flicks over and over and over again. He's bound to have studied that film.

Sean K

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
seank1 said:
Ask seanf. I'm sure he knows for sure, since he diddles himself while watching Bond flicks over and over and over again. He's bound to have studied that film.

Sean K

I have a couple of REALLY good comments but i'lll keep them to myself for now lol

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Come on Dizzy we all know seanf gives as good as he gets. Although I think he like to get or take it a little more.

Sean K

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
isn't he the guy with all the midgets?

:mrgreen:

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
well... ok i guess...

as long as they aren't

underage...

:roll:

mil_sub

2/2/08
fakemaster said:
Rolex Submariner 5513 on a nato strap. Quite a tacky combo actually.

5513 is my grail watch! for now i have to live with this ;) lol

25338698wq6.jpg

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Actually I should say this. I am a JB freak. And sadly I hate to break this news to everyone but the first watch to appear was not even a Rolex.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
fakemaster said:
Actually I should say this. I am a JB freak. And sadly I hate to break this news to everyone but the first watch to appear was not even a Rolex.

OK, sorry for coming to the party late, but I was busy diddling myself to the underground volcano scene in You Only Live Twice.

And Fakey, you are very wrong about that. The first watch to appear in the film series was a Rolex. You can see it in a couple of scenes when Connery is getting on a boat. It's been very difficult to identify which particular model it was because the model didn't really exist. Lemme 'splain.

In the books, Bond wears exclusively Rolex and gives it a name check a couple of times. The producer of the Bond series, Cubby Broccoli, thought that a man of Bond's tastes would absolutely wear a Rolex, but, for whatever reason, they didn't have the budget to buy one for the film. So Cubby let Connery borrow his own Rolex watch. So the watch you see in Dr. No is Cubby Broccoli's own Rolex. Now here's the weird part-- Broccoli apparently had some custom mods done to the watch (I think a bigger crown was one thing). And he had to replace some other parts. So the original Bond watch really is a Fraken.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
fakemaster said:
Oh it's on.

Fair warning, here, Fakey. You do NOT want to challenge my Bond related trivia. As others can tell you, it's a losing proposition.

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Anyone want to start taking bets? My money is on Seanf. Sorry Fakey.

Sean K

mil_sub

2/2/08
Many vintage Rolex collectors call all early Submariners without crown guards (shoulderless) the James Bond Submariner, while others in the watch collecting field believe that the watch Connery wore in Dr. No and the others was the Rolex Submariner model 6538. Still other collectors believe that the Submariner Connery wore was more than likely one of four models or that perhaps each of the four models made an appearance in each of the early films, they are the 6200, 6538A, thick cased 6538 and the 5510.

By analyzing close ups of the Connery Submariner, it is clear that the watch has the big crown with no crown guard, has a gilt dial with two lines of printing on the upper part of the dial below the Rolex crown and two lines of printing on the lower portion of the dial that appear to be different colors (although it is hard to tell and you may see it differently), and has mercedes hands. The bezel insert is the non-graduated version, meaning there are no extra minute markings between 0 and 15 and the bezel pearl is in the center of a silver triangle. Later versions of the Submariner had the extra minute markings between the 0 and 15 including the ones without crown guards. These observations are important because the watch has characteristics of a 6200, a 6538A, a thick cased 6538 or even a 5510 (depending on whether you discern the depth rating of Connery's watch as white or gilt) despite what so called experts say about it being only a 6538.

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/articles/rolex-submariner//

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
seank1 said:
Anyone want to start taking bets? My money is on Seanf. Sorry Fakey.

Sean K

"So I went into karate mode and SCISSOR KICKED HER IN THE FACE! *WHAM BAM* Then I pulled her up by her hair but her wig came off, turns out she was bald! *GROSS* Fucking old people" -Seanf

I'm guna put my money on Seanf 2..
not that I doubt your knowledge Fakey but..
Look at what Seanf does when hes not humping animals and midgets !
Would never want to bet against a 'man' like that

- Ex

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
fakemaster said:
Oh it's on.
Ok, He is wearing a timex cellini sub tank francise seadweller ROLEX. It's not in clear site so it's probably a prop or a Skagen so it does'nt count right? Get to da CHOPPA!