• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC 3777 Little Prince Comparison

spursian

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/7/14
Finally received my little prince. Borrowed my friend's gen to do some quick comparison shots.

First impressions: When I first looked at the rep, I didn't think it had any purplish hues to it. I was amazed by the quality and finish. I even compared with it first with my friend's gen under fluorescent, and didn't see any colour difference. It's only when I brought both watches out to the open, you can see a clear difference in colour under sunlight. However, that does not take it away the fact that it's a very very good rep, even when compared to the gen. I would say around 98% similar.

Dial: As mentioned, the purple hue is a lot more obvious where sunlight's present and when it's placed side by side with the gen. Naturally the fonts and finish on the gen dial are more intricate and finer in shape and detail. I can't see any difference between both datewheels. The gen has a more brilliant sunburst whereas the rep looks a little more matte.

Caseback. I would say this is spot on! Even with a microscope, I'd be hard pressed to find any difference!

Strap: In all honesty, there's no need to change the strap if you want it to look like the gen! The top end of the strap attached to the watch is slightly thicker and stiffer on the rep, but the rest of the strap feels very close to the gen. With constant wear, it'll feel even better. I thought I needed to buy a new strap, but after comparing with the gen, there's no need to!

So there you have it. A quick review of the IWC Little Prince. If you're not bothered by the purplish hue under sunlight, by all means get it. That's the main tell if you compare it side by side with the gen. But it's still a beautiful watch. I love the caseback!

I'll try to take more macro pictures and do a more detailed review over the weekend....

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
No replies? Great job and good post. Repped

c888

10/3/12
The dial color looks different in the pics..I guess it's angle of the light reflecting.. how's the AR compared to gen.
Thanks for review

spursian

Supporter
Certified
1/7/14
The second dial photo was taken indoor under florescent light with some daylight coming in from the windows. Thus the difference. No difference in AR. Both are the same. Reflective.

The dial color really changes, depending on the light conditions as well as the angle you look at it from. Sometimes it looks blue like the gen, sometimes purple. But for the gen, it looks deep blue throughout.

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
Thanks for the review. I think it's a great rep watch! If someone is nit-picking about the color difference: try got get a gen dial or buy a gen watch. :cool-new:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Interesting comparison, thanks!
Imho a great rep despite the color difference on the dial, only noticeable under specific light conditions anyway. I would really like to add it to my collection :)

spursian

Supporter
Certified
1/7/14
One more slight difference is the color of the hands. The gen is pure white and the rep is slightly off white.

chronomatic

Renowned Member
25/11/14
Gen crown looks a bit bigger. Thanks for your review!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida
Really nice post! Did I miss the maker and where to order this??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bukkupke

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
8/7/14
ATX
Thanks so much for the review! Despite the color difference, I am really happy I purchased this from Ryan as my first rep!

paddler

Horology Curious
27/10/14
just the rep v gen comp that everyone has been waiting for. good job! much appreciated.

Saltwater

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/2/15
Great job, really nice comparison. Exactly what all of us little prince owners needed :)

trinisurfer

Looking Around
30/1/12
Great comparison. Pulling the trigger on one of these over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vorenus

15/2/15
Thank you dude!

I love these gen - rep comparisons

Looks like a great rep of a great gen. The purple dial thingy does bother me but even so I might buy a watch like this!

Great post!

- Vorenus

centrum

27/7/14
Thank you for your review. What a great first rep! However I would wait for an improved version.

bc1221

30/4/14
Very nice!
I really hope they rep the non chrono version